New
Find
Notify
Tools

9.3x62 CZ 550 FS ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I would appreciate hearing some opinions about this rifle. This rifle reminds me of a Las Vegas Showgirl. Beautiful to look at, but maybe hard to live with in the long run. The things that concern me are, velocity loss with that 20" barrel (Brownie Insurance), muzzle blast (Say What), and the possibilty of POI shift with that sexy mannlicher full stock (Weather). I'm going back up to Alaska in the fall for moose. I don't need moa accuracy, but with the weather up there, the full stock concerns me.My friends up there shoot .375's, and I want to show up with something different. I know Vegas showgirls aren't practical, but I want one anyway!

Posts: 586 | Location: paloma,ca | Registered: 20 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't worry about velocity loss from the short barrel but I would not take a mannlicher-stocked rifle to Alaska... water will get under the wood and do two bad things....(1) change your point of impact and (2) facilitate rust on the bottom of your barrel. You can help this somewhat by glass bedding the whole damn thing and waxing the barrel but it's a stop-gap measure at best.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know She'll only break my heart. (Sigh)Anybody got any good POI shift horror stories to share?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Have one. The barrel has been coated liberally with RIG. Intend to do this once a year. As I only shot with open sights up to now, can�t tell about shift of POI. In 9.3x62 no muzzle blast with PMP and Norma ammmo ( 286 grs, both ). Will use PMP for driven hunts, for longer shots will use the ballistically better Lapua 286 grs, my smith already has 60 of those. You may also try Sellier & Bellot ( new ).

For really big stuff I think about aquiring Winchester ammo with Nosler Partition.

Recommendation for deer would be 232 ( Norma Vulkan ) or 250 grs bullets, as heavier ones might be too tough.

I like this handy carbine, but I understand with a loong 25 ( o.k., Ray, 26 ... ) barrel its at the heels of the .375 with less recoil and, more important, less weight.

I will wring this out, if I am happy, there might be a second one in the future.

Get this gun! Hermann

------------------

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Herman and DB. Herman, have you chronographed those 286 grn loads? I'd sure like to know what velocity you are getting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
AHunter,
I gotta a surprise, the new 9.3x62 I just finished and am checkering now is a J.P. Sauer, Oct. barrel with full rib, double triggered single C ring Mauser, and yep it came with a 20" tube....

It will be my iron sight gun and I will stroke it with 320 gr. Woodleigh Softs at about 2300 (hopefully) but at least 2200 and that ought to lay low about any thing that walks, talks, breaths or crawls.

It has claw bases and I will get Lee Armes to make a set of 7/8" rings for my 2.5X Leupold Alaskan scope for it...Nice little gun for sure...I will keep my 26" barrel gun also....

I have used the caliber on Buffalo and I can't tell any difference in it and a 375 H&H in killing power...I would not hesitate to shoot the biggest bear in the world with it, at any angle at close range.....

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote