THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Montana gov: Kill wolves hurting elk herds

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Montana gov: Kill wolves hurting elk herds
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Nice to see Montana nutted up and taking a stance on a long over due problem. Now if the rest of the Western states would follow.

Montana gov: Kill wolves hurting elk herds
Wednesday, February 16, 2011 4:15 pm

BILLINGS, Mont. — Montana Gov. Brian Schweitzer says the state will defy federal protections for gray wolves and kill packs that have been hurting elk herds.

Schweitzer also told The Associated Press on Wednesday that he is encouraging livestock owners north of Interstate 90 to shoot wolves that harass their animals. He says state game wardens would stop investigating wolf shootings in that part of the state.

Livestock owners in southern Montana already have authority to shoot wolves that harass their animals.

The Democratic governor says he is fed up with years of litigation that have kept wolves on the endangered species list even as their population has grown to more than 1,700 across the Northern Rockies.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cazador humilde
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kudu56:
...The Democratic governor ...

Very impressive. God Bless Montana (and you know how hard that is to say for a Texan). 'Hunted there, 'hope to return, 'saw wolf tracks, 'experienced their impact on the elk herds.

Posts: 1278 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 31 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear it, and he's a Dem too!!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4885 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would like to see the Wisconsin gov do the same thing.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is great news. I think Gov. Schweitzer did a pretty popular thing with this announcement. He also stopped the Feds from transferring bison out of Yellowstone Park for slaughter. Put the onus on the Feds to take care of the 400 animals penned up inside the park.

Posts: 29 | Location: Montana | Registered: 13 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brian Clark
posted Hide Post
Let's hope more Goveners continue this trend, it kills me how the rest of animals must suffer for this stupid cause.

Thanks!

Brian Clark

Blue Skies Hunting Adventures
www.blueskieshunting.com
Email at: info@blueskieshunting.com

African Cape Trophy Safaris
www.africancapesafaris.com
Email at: brian@africancapesafaris.com

1-402-689-2024

Posts: 1013 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 30 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
By god!that's the spirit!
Might as well delist,we already have

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Flags, where you at on this one? Where is your little oath to follow game laws to the letter and rebuke all that don't? I bet you are having a real moral delimna right now about how to think.

How about you Crazy horse, Is the governor encouraging people to "steal" from you.

Maybe yall can see how childish your arguements have been and how complicated game management, conservation, and the future of hunting really is.

Posts: 2826 | Location: Houston | Registered: 01 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
We went into D Day this week with 50 Co-sponsors of the Delist wolves from the ESA, I bet there will be more than 100 by noon today.

The BOLD and GUTSY move by Montana Governor Brian Sweitzer who told his fish and game personnel to kill packs of wolves to protect elk herds, to kill the entire pack of wolves if they kill one cow or sheep, and told Game and Fish Personnel NOT to prosecute any landowner from shooting wolves on private property has sent a SHOCK WAVE through Congress – we had already pounded them for two solid days.

So, Victory on this issue is imminent. We must stay focused and win a few more battles, and not relent until final and complete victory is achieved.

Congress must act by Friday night on a Continuing Resolution (CR) by this Friday or the Government Shuts down.

Senator Hatch and Barrasso and Congressman Rheberg, Chaffetz, Bishop, Matheson, Ross, and Congresswoman Lumis had anchored a great position, and had some strong support by Senators Crapo, Risch, Lee, McCain and Kyle.

So, stay tuned.

US Senator Orrin Hatch has been a complete STUD on this issue. Ryan Benson is still in DC working to make sure we get the exact right language in the final bill on wolf delisting, which could be signed by the President within 48 hours.

Ted Lyon, our top tier Texas Trial Attorney put together a very interesting meeting Tuesday night with one of Leader Reid and the Entire Democratic Senate’s Senior advisors.

I called some friends after that meeting and told them, we won. Sweitzer’s bold move, without a doubt will sealed the deal

So, it has been a long road.

Ted Lyon said it best today in DC, “This is a Roosevelt Moment”

Stay tuned.

Thanks to the tens of thousands who really dug in and helped deliver a monumental victory for Conservation.

Ryan Benson and I have been keeping some notes, we are going to write a book about this, if nothing else, It might become a Harvard case study about how to do what most say can’t be done. It will be a fascinating read for all who love wild places and wild things.

In a few hours I have breakfast with Fmr Massachusetts Governor Mitt Romney. I spent a couple fun days in December hunting elk with him in Western Montana, it will interesting to see what he thinks about this bold move in leadership.

Don Peay

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Best news all day and hopefully help keep them out of South Dakota.

Posts: 520 | Location: North West South Dakota | Registered: 26 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of don444
posted Hide Post
Damn good! tu2

Posts: 551 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of steve f
posted Hide Post
Good news.

I hope the rest of the western states with wolves will do the same.

SCI
DSC
NRA
NAHC
DRSS

Posts: 93 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 12 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First of all, thanks for the "heads up", kudu56.
Secondly, I followed the link that Mikelravy provided.
Man, if you guys want/need some laughs for the day, go to his link then scroll down to the comments. Lets just say that there are a lot of people that posted there that only have mush between their ears. Big Grin
Don't think Ive ever heard more bsflag in such a condensed form in my life.
Enjoy!!
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is a great day in Montana!!! Idaho first and now Montana....maybe WY will now finally stop being the thorn in the process and get on board!

Posts: 129 | Location: Birmingham, AL | Registered: 04 October 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't have a clue why our new Govenor hasn't jumped aboard. Our previous Govenor, made the same statement as Montana several years ago, he was almost lynched by the feds..

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of oakman
posted Hide Post
Thats Great---about time he told the feds to shove it......... dancing

life member of SCI
life member of NRA
NTA
Master Scorer SCI
Scorer for Rowland Ward

www.african-montana-taxidermy.com

Posts: 241 | Location: Montana USA | Registered: 01 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Scott
I've scraped 2 replies to your post for being
Too hostile.
Let's just say, you don't know what the hell you are talking about, when it comes to where Wyoming fits in all this

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Super, clap

It is a start.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ravenr:
Hey Scott
I've scraped 2 replies to your post for being
Too hostile.
Let's just say, you don't know what the hell you are talking about, when it comes to where Wyoming fits in all this
Thank you for the decency.

Would you mind providing a link to WY management plan for wolves? I can't find one on their G&F website but I may be looking under the wrong subject. I know one of the reasons for overturning the delisting was because WY wouldn't/couldn't come up with a management plan like ID and MT.

Thanks

Posts: 129 | Location: Birmingham, AL | Registered: 04 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't provide a link and the wy g and f doesn't
Have current info.
What I can tell you is that the Feds accepted wyomings
Management plan as biologically sound and population sustaining
In 2005.their words.then changed their mind after the tree hugger
Bent their ear.
At this stage it doesn't matter, we are " managing"
Them without their permission and have been for years.
MIGHT AS WELL DELIST, WE ALREADY HAVE

one of us
Picture of Snapper
posted Hide Post
quote:

Projections made last year by wildlife officials showed that killing off all packs that attack cattle, sheep or other livestock would have quickly reduced wolf numbers below sustainable levels.

ie... all wolves prey on domestic animals?

Posts: 767 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We are doing a similar thing here in Idaho.

It is long overdue IMHO...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote