New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Scope $400 or less
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I need a scope for my 25-06. I use it to shoot targets out to 500 yards and hunt deer. I want a good quality hunting scope that I can also use for long range paper punching. I want a variable power in 3-9 or preferably 4-12 with a 40-50mm objective. I don't need target turrets etc.. but if i can get them for the right price I might be interested. A mil dot reticle would be nice. I realize I can't get everything I want for $400, but I'm looking for the best compromise. I'm thinking about a Leupold Vari X II 4-12X40 or something in that ballpark. Any suggestions?

Posts: 428 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of WyoJoe
posted Hide Post
You can't go wrong with a Leupold. I have a 3X9 Vari X II that has been in service for 20+ years now and is as clear as the day I bought it. You can spend less or even more on a scope but the Leupolds give good value for the money. Nikon has good optics. I have compared them side by side and there is no contest. Leupold won hands down

There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor polite, nor popular -- but one must ask, "Is it right?"

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Posts: 1172 | Location: Cheyenne, WY | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
leupold is always a winning choice, but sightron is also worth a look. for 199$, the s2 is rugged, durable, bright, clear, and has an identical warranty to leupold's.

my advice would be to do a side-by-side. if you think that the leupold is 200$ clearer, then go with that. if you want a scope that will not fog, fail or get knocked around, and still leave you money for something ele that you might need, go with sightron.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Get a Meopta (brand) Artemis 3000, in 3X12 power.

I have one on my 25-284 and it is superb.

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MrHawg
posted Hide Post
You can get some really good deals on Nikon and Burris scopes on ebay. I'm pretty impressed with Nikon scopes, especially when you compare the cost to other brands.

Posts: 244 | Location: Margaritaville | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by elkhunter:
I need a scope for my 25-06. I use it to shoot targets out to 500 yards and hunt deer. I want a good quality hunting scope that I can also use for long range paper punching. I want a variable power in 3-9 or preferably 4-12 with a 40-50mm objective. I don't need target turrets etc.. but if i can get them for the right price I might be interested. A mil dot reticle would be nice. I realize I can't get everything I want for $400, but I'm looking for the best compromise. I'm thinking about a Leupold Vari X II 4-12X40 or something in that ballpark. Any suggestions?

Nikons are great scopes, and Opticzone has some 2004 model Buckmasters at great prices. I now own almost as many Nikons as Leupolds, and will likely continue buying Nikons, both their Monarch and Buckmaster lines.
Recently bought the 6x18-40 side-focus Buckmaster, and it seems like a helluva deal!

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Born to Hunt
posted Hide Post
I have a brand new Leupold 3-9x40mm duplex gloss black finish. I do mean brand new. It is in the box and has never been opened. I am a dealer. Send me a message and I'll let you have it for a song. These are great scopes, but very few guys in my area are willing to lay down $400 for a scope. I ordered this one in December and it still hasn't sold. I'll send you pictures if you'd like. Cabela's sells this scope for $469...I'll beat the heck out of that!

bowboy@scrtc.com

Reloaders Haul Brass!

Posts: 336 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 03 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Call me crazy...

Doesn't Leupold use Nikon glass in their scopes?

I do know that there is only a few companies in the world that turn out high quality lens and these companies get their lens via contract.

SA

one of us
posted Hide Post
Burris fullfield with ballistic plex. Excellent light gathering. 3-9 is sufficient for most shooting you described. Plex really works well and provides on target POA out to the 500yds you mentioned.

Bought one - for the '06.

Bought another for the .375hh!

Yep - Im a believer!

Rgds Ian

Just taking my rifle for a walk!........

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would just get a leupold and be done with it, they are the best value for money out there.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Burris! 100% made in USA!

IanF, I did the same for my 375! thumb

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I'm really sold on Leup. The Zeiss Conquest is also good. If you are patient, you can hang out on e-bay & get a good deal.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Leup Vari X II in 3X( and love it!

Posts: 142 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 09 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sodakhntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a brand new Leupold 3-9x40mm duplex gloss black finish. I do mean brand new. It is in the box and has never been opened. I am a dealer. Send me a message and I'll let you have it for a song. These are great scopes, but very few guys in my area are willing to lay down $400 for a scope. I ordered this one in December and it still hasn't sold. I'll send you pictures if you'd like. Cabela's sells this scope for $469...I'll beat the heck out of that!

Are you sure that is not a 3.5 -10? I was thinking that the Leupold VX-III's that sells for that much do not come in 3-9.

Ted

Posts: 152 | Location: China Spring, Texas | Registered: 18 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Leupold .
Have had excellent service from them on warranty issues due to my falling on them and breaking them. Also had a 3hour tour of there factory due to knowing someone there.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3079 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was a Leupold man until I tried my first Nikon. Nikon's have very good glass and are just a well built scope. I also bought a Burris and am very happy with it as well. I don't think a guy can go wrong with any of the three.

MG

one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
Zeiss conquest 3x9x40 are less than 400 on ebay.

I picked one up for 350 shipped a couple months ago.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Seamus O'Grady
posted Hide Post
Don't buy a used Leupold Vari X II. Good glass but adjustments (frictionless) do not return to zero, very flaky when sighting in. Vari X III is better all around. Get used 2.5x8 or 3.5x10.

Citius, altius, fortius

Posts: 567 | Location: Washington | Registered: 21 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of OldFart
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Nikon. I Picked up a 3x9 Buckmaster for a song, and now have replaced all of my scopes with Nikons, including Sightron, Burris and even Leupold. It started when I used my Sightron to check out a target, only to discover I could see the details better with the Nikon, in spite of the fact that the Nikon was lower power with a smaller lens. It got to where I couldn't stand using the other scope after I used the Nikon. I have never used the Zeiss or the uppen end Leupolds, so I can't comment on them.

One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
semus
Send it back in if there is something truly somthing wrong they will cover it.
Just send a note identifing the problem they will check it out. Are you using it for silouette? Or just get abad used one ?

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3079 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd definitely get something with either a turret or ballistic reticle (even ranging reticles like mil-dot or better yet Leupold's TMR), to reference long-range shooting accurately.

Steve

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
oldfart
is it possible that you wore the original coating off the glass.
I did it years ago on a hunt by using a cloth on the glass when it had abrassive sand and dirt on it. It was a vari x III 2.5x8.
I later cracked the tube on it and sent it back
I got a new one in the mail 3weeks later.
I also sent my brothers in because it fogged
again 3 weeks later I a new one.
clarity has alot to do with the scope adjustment also.
I will admit I am partial to them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RMiller:
Zeiss conquest 3x9x40 are less than 400 on ebay.

I picked one up for 350 shipped a couple months ago.

This is the way to go!

I love Leupolds, but the Conquests are just a step above the Leupolds in optical quality (no comparison to the VXII series) as well as adjustments. The Leupolds have become very expensive with the new standardized pricing scheme Leupold has put in place. The Zeiss is currently best-buy under $400.
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
I am done with Leupold and Burris. Burris went to hell after being bought by Beretta, 100% American Burris is not.

Zeiss Conquest, best scope for under $400, hands down.

Docter is number two, but heavy!

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am very impressed with the Weaver Grand Slam series of scopes. Really good stuff for the money.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of OldFart
posted Hide Post
Cal30 1906
The Leupold I had was a 10 year old Var II. It was my main hunting scope. I do like clean lens, and usually clean them with a kleanex or my shirt tail while hunting. While I don't think I ever used something dirty or abrasive, it is possible I could have wore off some coating by the shear nummber of times I cleaned it. The other scopes I have were all under three years old.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the Conquest and Var-X II. Have to admit I like the Conquest better, a bit more clear looking through the glass. Did buy a Burris for my Encore Pistol and also like it. Have been thinking of buying 3x9x40 Burris for my .243......

Posts: 199 | Location: D/FW Texas | Registered: 10 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I need something with a lot of eye relief. How do the Conquest and Leupold compare in that regard?

Posts: 428 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
There is no real comparison between the Zeiss & a VXII, the only Leup. worth owning imo, are the VXIII, just a better scope. It compares very favorably w/ the Conquest, but Leup. is the king of eye releif, about .75" more than a Conquest.

one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
The Conquest 3X9X40 has 4" of eye relief the rest have 3.5" Take a look at the optic zone.com they should be in your range they also have some used scopes that may appeal to you.I have totally converted to Conquest scopes

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Has anyone bought a Burris Signature Select or Fullfield II scope? I like the ballistic plex reticle. How do they compare?

one of us
Picture of JLHeard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IanF:
Burris fullfield with ballistic plex. Excellent light gathering. 3-9 is sufficient for most shooting you described. Plex really works well and provides on target POA out to the 500yds you mentioned.

Bought one - for the '06.

Bought another for the .375hh!

Yep - Im a believer!

Rgds Ian

I'm a big believer in Burris' Balistic-plex also. I have them on my .300 H&H and .338 WM.

It is not enough to fight for natural land and the west; it is even more important to enjoy it...So get out there and hunt and fish and mess around with your friends...

- Edward Abbey

Posts: 580 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
4X12 Swift Premier. 150.00 Have worked for me on all calibers of rifle. I need never pay more.

Posts: 37 | Location: Black Hills | Registered: 06 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dakota rifleman:
4X12 Swift Premier. 150.00 Have worked for me on all calibers of rifle. I need never pay more.

i just saw one of these this morning, and have to agree that it was a very good-looking scope. i don't know for sure, but based on swift's reputation, it should also be a durable scope.

the price here (great falls, montana) was 159$, but that's not too big a difference~~ thumb

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fredj338:
There is no real comparison between the Zeiss & a VXII, the only Leup. worth owning imo, are the VXIII, just a better scope. It compares very favorably w/ the Conquest, but Leup. is the king of eye releif, about .75" more than a Conquest.

Not sure if you knew it, or not, but the current VX-IIs are basically the old Vari-X IIIs. The new VX-IIIs are essentially a Vari-X III+.

Now, the old Vari-X IIs are definitely inferior to the Zeiss, but I'm not so sure that's true with the current VX-IIs.

RSY

The real work of men was hunting meat. The invention of agriculture was a giant step in the wrong direction, leading to serfdom, cities, and empire. From a race of hunters, artists, warriors, and tamers of horses, we degraded ourselves to what we are now: clerks, functionaries, laborers, entertainers, processors of information. - Edward Abbey

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
RSY, I'll have to disagree. The VXIII is a step up from the VXII, better lens alignment & probably coating as well. The price reflects this too.
http://www.leupold.com/products/Scope_Feature_Matrix.htm

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's another enthusiastic vote for Nikon. I've found them consistent in tracking, with excellent glass and the value is hard to beat. I agree whole-heartedly that Leupold makes excellent scopes, but I think you can get a scope that's every bit as good (I think a little better) for a much better price with Nikon. Definitely check out Sightron as well. Even the S1 models are as good as most brands' mid-range offerings, and I picked my 3-9 up for $130. Hard to beat the value.

Tim

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

Posts: 136 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland--Hah! | Registered: 19 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In the $400 range I prefer the Conquest line.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Born to Hunt
posted Hide Post
Sodakhntr: You are correct. My scope is a 3.5-10X40. I put it on ebay a couple of days ago...maybe it will sell...started the bid at $350. This is well below my cost and cheap for a VXIII newi in the box.

Reloaders Haul Brass!

Posts: 336 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 03 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you given any thought to the Bushnell Elite 3200 or 4200. I've got several Leupold VXIII 3.5x10AO and a 6.5x 20AO and the Elite 3200 5x15x50AO is as clear as any of the Leupolds. I also have a 6x32x40AO Elite 4200 That has a one piece Titanium tube, clear and
bullet proof, fog proof, etc. You can find these scopes for under your $400 limit if you shop around. as of this point I would put them up against any of my Leupolds thumb