New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vancouver Airport Question
 Login/Join

<Jerry Skidmore>
posted
On my way home from B.C. I have a long layover at the Vancouver airport. I would like to go into the city to look around.I'm assuming I will have to claim my baggage after arriving from Whitehorse since my layover is until 6:30am the next day. Do they have any secured storarge at the airport where I canleave my bags and gun case?

Thanks Jerry

one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
I'm sure they do but just to be sure you could call "Vancouver International Airport" to find out. 411 or internet search could probably find you the #.

What time do you arrive at Vancouver? The middle of the night could be a let down if you want to explore the wealth. If you have lots of time on your hands, you won't be disapointed.

What interests you? I could give you a lead.

I'm afraid to make a blind suggestion because you can lost in this town. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Wink]

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
There is definitely a place you can do it, as I did it in October. Just can not remember the name of the place. Go the the web and ask for Vancouver baggage storage and it should take you to their site. If not, call the airport and they can tell you. TM

Posts: 2 | Location: Hong Kong | Registered: 21 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jerry-

If your layover permits, I highly recommend getting out & looking around like you have planned. Vancouver is one of mine & my wife's *favorite* cities. Great city, wonderful people, we just love it there. [Smile]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jerry, I just happened to read your post before I left for the Vancouver B.C. airport yesterday to pick up someone so I looked for you. You can store your baggage at this company at the airport on the Arrivals level. CDS Baggage Services for between $4 and $6 CDN per day. Their phone number is 604-303-4500 and their fax number is 604-303-4519. Ask and you shall receive. Steve [Smile]

Posts: 48 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 27 July 2002Reply With Quote
<Jerry Skidmore>
posted
Boilerroom: I get in at 7:00 PM on a Thursday night.I'd like a nice seafood rest.,maybe a visit to the waterfront any good nightclubs?

SteveB, thanks for doing that for me I really appreciate it.

Thanks to all of you for helping out.
Jerry

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jerry, Vancouver is full of great seafood restaurants, however, since I presume you will be staying near the airport you might want to try the area called Steveston. This is a small old fishing village which is part of Richmond the city in which the airport actually is located. This has many really good restaurants such as the Charthouse and the Steveston Seafood House. Also, since Richmond's population base is mostly Chinese there are great Chinese restaurants also whose chefs come straight from either Hong Kong or mainland China. Once you eat from these places the average chop suey house in the states just won't cut it. One other great seafood house on the Vancouver waterfront which is quite a ways from the airport is the Cannery located on a wharf on the Vancouver harbour side. Any of the restaurants by the Pan Pacific hotel sight are generally good but very pricey. Good luck, Steve

Posts: 48 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 27 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jerry. Here is a map for Richmond. Find the airport and just scroll down until you find Garry Point Park at the bottom of the map. This is the Steveston Village area. http://www.city.richmond.bc.ca/discover/roadmap.htm You can look around the rest of the website www.city.richmond.bc.ca if you are interested. Substitute Vancouver for Richmond and that will bring up the Vancouver website. Steve

one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
God seafood:

The Fish House in Stanley Park, the Cannery, "C", and most of the good restaurants in Van have excellent seafood. Vancouver is a eaters paradise. So many good restaurants.

Night Clubs really depend on how old youare, and what you want: Loud hip hop or quiet pub style.

There are plenty of clubs and pubs around Granville street down town. The area near the Granville St bridge is a bit seedy though.

The Flying Beaver Pub is by the South airport terminal and is a nice place during the day to have a beer and watch the float planes land on the river. You'll need a car to get from the main terminal to there, though.

Stay away from Hastings street, it's the bad part of town. You probably won't be in any danger, but there isn't much interesting there unless you want to score heroin or get a hooker. [Wink]

I left post for you on HA about luggage at Van Airport.

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I ended up on Hastings the other week when I was trying to find my way home from the Blarney stone pub in Gas town. First time I really wished I could carry a handgun.

Posts: 968 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of kk
posted Hide Post
I always found the denizens of Gas Town very friendly. Especially the women.

kk

Posts: 1224 | Location: Southern Ontario, Canada | Registered: 14 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it's pretty creepy. The good thing is that most of them are harmless to an adult male. They're mostly all fucked up on drugs or booze.

I almost got into a scrap with 4 druggies who wanted some spare change down there. Luckily, I was able to persuade three of them to remain sitting while I convinced the fourth (that was in my face) that it was unhealthy for him to continue his actions.

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
Jerry

It looks like your covered on the seafood, water front and storage. Night clubs can be anything anyone wants which could be casual to down right dangerous. My fellow b.c. friends are right about staying away from hastings unless you are out in burnaby which is alot different. Mostly italian restaraunts there. Although the famous gas town is just behind hastings which was the original skid row but now is as trendy as it gets. Cabs should be able to keep you track though.

There is lots of clubs down town Vancouver. What are you looking for? Dancing, maybe a little bit of exotic dancing(Vancouver is rated#1 in North America) or how about some Irish folk music and a pint of Guiness. There is a Country music club down there but I'll be suprised if that will rival some of the clubs back home.

I'm sure what ever you end up doing you will enjoy your stay. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
<nick humphreys>
posted
The Yaletown Pub brews its own beer, somewhat trendy, but good beer. The Yale Hotel is seedy but has some of the best blues in town.

one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
Boileroom

I forgot about that [Big Grin] Yes Vancouver is famous for it's strippers.

I don't go to strip clubs very often, but when I was in Vancouver a year or two ago a friend took me to Brandys.

Wow. Talk about a sinners paradise in a classy enviroment! [Big Grin]

Bring your credit card, though. It ain't cheap! [Big Grin]

one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
Gatehouse

I was trying to remember the name of the classy new joint that is as safe as it gets for a short visit. Brandys. I hear it's costly but the woman are 1st class and the club is not seedy what so ever.

If the Cecil is still open then that's a good club also. I have not been there since I was 22. Safe by strip club standards and Granville is pretty harmless compared to other areas that have strip clubs.

Robson st. might be worth a wander down town also. Don't count on any hunting shops though. [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Cecil is still open [Wink]

I havn't heard of this Brandy's place though.

Where is it??

Posts: 968 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
I think it's on Dunsmuir?

It's right above the Keg Ceasars?

It's not too far from Granville and Georgia. I would guess if you were at G&G, a cab would be $5.

I was a little drunk when my buddy took me there, so I don't remember exactly.

There is somewhat of a dress code- don't wear your beat up work int he yard clothes. It's very "sexy" but not "sleazy" at all.

[ 03-12-2003, 08:46: Message edited by: Gatehouse ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh I think I might find itWink

Me and some of the boys have been talking about finding a good place when they can think up some good lies to tell their girl friends.

Thanks

PS. You should come along if your gonna be in town [Wink]

[ 03-12-2003, 11:08: Message edited by: markus ]

one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
Tell me when...

I'm not too busy right now, and I'm pretty good st beer drinking! [Smile]

Do youlive in the Lower Mainland?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't forget Madam Cleo's in downtown Vancouver! One of the finest houses in the world with spectacular girls. Not to be missed.

Posts: 90 | Location: California | Registered: 23 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
Got me there....?

What's Madam Cleo's? A bsr?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sent you a PM gatehouse