New
Find
Notify
Tools

Range results for 25-06 and 280 Rem
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I went to the range yesterday and fired 60 rounds of 280 Remington(Ruger M-77) and 100 rounds of 25-06(Rem 700). By the end of the day, my shoulder was tired but much to my surprise it wasn't sore. That made for a really enjoyable range session.

I tried Remington Express Core-Lok 165gr, Remington Extended Range165gr, and Speer Nitrex 145gr in my 280. The Remington Extended Range 165s did the best(~1.25" 4-shot groups) and the Speer did the worst(~2.25" 4-shot groups).

In the 25-06, I used Win Sup BTs, Fed Prem Barnes XLCs, and Hornadys, and some 110 and 115gr Nosler BT ammo that I bought from AAA Ammo here in town. The AAA Ammo did the best in my 25-06(~1" 4-shot groups) with the Win Sup BT coming in a close second(~1.25"). The Hornadies also did well(~1.5). Unfortunately, the round I wanted to use the most, Federal Premium 100gr Barnes XLCs did HORRIBLE! I was getting 3+ in 4-shot groups with em. That's too bad because I really was looking forward to using them during our upcoming deer season.

I rotated guns and ammo so the results would be fair. What's your experience with these two calibers?

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
That's a lot of shooting! Most "calibers" have about the same accuracy so it's the quality of the rifle, ammo and aiming that matter.

Did you clean the barrel between tests?

When you settle on a load test it with just one shot from a cold barrel. Keep that target and when the barrel is in the same condition (cold and fouled or clean) fire another shot on the same target. I find that in game hunting that if I get a shot at all it is almost always just one shot. That's the one that counts. Groups are fun but are not as important as where that first shot hits.

one of us
posted Hide Post
That is alot of shooting! I spent all day at the range(good thing I have a nice wife [Big Grin] ). Other than trap/skeet, that's the most I've ever shot in one day. I'm still not reloading so I couldn't afford to do that very often.

I cleaned them 4-5 times(mainly to give the bores more cool-off time). I didn't clean them when I was done because I didn't wan't to change the POI for either before deer season. If I get another day at the range, I'll clean them before I start and while I'm shooting but I'll leave them fouled for hunting.

How often should I clean them to ensure my best accuracy and barrel life? I'm using Hoppe's #9, Gun Scrubber and Eesox right now. Any recommendations on products and/or cleaning techniques would be welcomed!

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CaptJack
posted Hide Post
Nebraska- I'm old school- trained by my grandfathers. I always clean with a brush and patches after I shoot- before I put the gun in the safe. I also always finish with a pass with a oily patch, but I always run a dry patch through the barrel before I shoot.
I always felt that if you left the barrel fouled that the residue powder can trap & hold moisture which can pit your bore- especially on a hunting trip.
I agree with Don- it's very important where that 1st bullet hits from a cold barrel- make a note.

-

one of us
posted Hide Post
Is the 165 grain a new bullet for the 280? I've just never heard of a 165 in .284 caliber. 160's and 175's, but not 165's.

Posts: 199 | Location: Rochester, Washington | Registered: 02 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wh, Remington has some odd weights in that series, I think it's a move to differentiate them from the competition. As to the cleaning, aside from the obvious at the end of the shooting situation, if you're comparing bullets/loads each seperate bullet/load should start with a clean barrel. This gives you a base line for real comparison between the loads. As for how clean, etc, just buy some wipe out and use it. Quick, clean, no fuss. As to the X bullets in you're 25-06, some rifles don't seem to like them at all. Now it might be the load, which could be modified, but I have some rifles that I've just given up on using X's in. It really varies from rifle to rifle though, I also load for a 30-06 and a 270 that just love them, tiny little groups. I also have experienced a Model 70 in 270 that initially shot the X well, but when restocked (changed the bedding harmonics, I'm guessing) wouldn't group them worth a darn. You may find better luck once you handload (X's seem to respond to COL and max loads, in my experiance), I hope so. Good luck. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The rule with the Barnes X is you must get all, or nearly all, the copper from other bullets out before you shoot them. Then it may take 5-8 rds. before they will group. At least with the factory barrels I've tried them. Custom barrels, like Pac-Nor's Super Match SS, don't seem to be anything like that fussy.
I have yet to see the rifle that wouldn't group them. Sometimes they take more work, i.e. trying different powder types than with other bullets.
I've always found they shoot 1-3 grs. under Barnes listed maximum. And just off the lands.
I've been told that very few solvents will get all the copper out of a bore. I've had really good luck scrubbing with Sweet's. E

Posts: 1022 | Location: Placerville,CA,USA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
<duckster>
posted
Does Remington still make the Extended range load? All I have seen is the 140 grain loads in Ballistic Tips and boattails in the Premier line.

My .280 is somewhat opposite yours, it will shoot the 145 grain Speer Grandslams into 1 inch consistently, but didn't shoot the Core-lokts that well. Every rifle is a rule in itself.

<thecrafter>
posted
heard lots of bad sight in targets with the barnes,dont doubt it either since its made completely of copper or something like that,read lots of posts everywhere on that bullet not doing well in accuracy,oh well,well built bullet but not accurate,guess thats the truth...may perform well on game if you can hit them,but not up to exspatations(wrong spelling i know) of accuracy,thats the way it goes with anything ,its does this but wont do that.....

<thecrafter>
posted
love to own a 25006 though for deer hunting.....100gr.nosler ballistic tip at over 3300fps would be really good....