New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are PREMIUM bullets necessary
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
premuim bullets are very enticing to me. I want to read all the data, all the articles that I can about them. But are they realy worth it? Some of the premium bullets do have characteristics that seem to give them an edge. But in most hunting situtations would the average Speer , Hornady , or Sierra
do the trick. I use to love the Nosler solid base. They never once failed me. Should I spend the extra money for Whitetail Deer and Black Bear hunting?

Posts: 46 | Location: Maine US | Registered: 10 March 2002Reply With Quote
<leo>
posted
Single-shot, for deer and black bear cor-loks, power-points, sierras, etc. are fine as long as proper bullet weight for caliber is used.

one of us
posted Hide Post
They aren't necessary but they do let you use a light for caliber bullet to maximise trajectory and reduce recoil without sacrificing penetration.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pumpkinheaver
posted Hide Post
I have had great luck with Hornady Interlocks on whitetails. I don't think you need premium bullets until you get up to bigger big game. But then again it won't hurt to use a premium bullet at all times if possiable.

Posts: 414 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
<sadiehn>
posted
I dont think the premiums are nessary until the game gets over 400 pounds or you start shooting higher velocity The cor-loc in a 30-06 is a great bullet in 300 win it great but if you shoot them out of a 300 weatherby or 300 rum I think they will fragment or explode due to the higher velocity. now if that shot was at 400 yards where the velocity falls off a bit you are ok.One thing I rarely here is that the premiums give better accurcy some are even claimed to be finiky or just not as accurate

one of us
posted Hide Post
The only time that I have taken game over 300yds was during my Caribou hunts. I have one deer a little over 200yds and the rest of the game has been under 100yds. I think I will take the 100 rnds of Nosler 180 BT and work that load up for the 338-06 and then work up a slightly heavier load in the Sierra game king. Probablly a 225gr. Thanks for the input.

<csj>
posted
In my opinion the premium bullets become an issue when you start pushing the speeds up such as a 7STW or 300RUM. It is nice knowing the bullet will not come apart when you end up with a 20 yard shoot out of a 7STW.

Chris

one of us
Picture of Heritage Arms
posted Hide Post
Premium bullets are not necessary on most game. The hyper mags will need a well constructed bullet to handle the impact velocities. The speer hot core has always worked for me in Africa. The construction of the bullet is important when game is of the dangerous variety when penetration is paramount. If you can sit a pick your shots your premium bullet will only enhance a lethal shot. This was proven to me in Africa time and time again.

Posts: 1573 | Location: USA, most of the time  | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Necessary: NO
Recommended:Yes

I mean why not? It gives us something lse to debate, tinker with, and sometimes argue over which is best!!

If their was never a need for them we would all be choosing from brand X or Y copper cup lead core bullets....

------------------
Victory through superior firepower!

Posts: 324 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Depends on the caliber that you shoot..In Magnums then I would use premiums...Noslers don't cost that much and there isn't a better bullet in MHO..why risk it??

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Premium bullets are like life preservers, liabilty or life insurance, and fire extinguishers. You may never need them, but when you do, you need them bad.

Regards,

Bob

Posts: 439 | Location: Goldsboro, NC 27530 | Registered: 25 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
Good answers here...

I am convinced they are an absolute waste of money on deer-sized stuff... here in the US that would primarily mean Whitetails and Mule Deer (except, as was said) in the mega-velocity blasters... even then they'll work but ruin an inordinate amount of meat.

Whitetail deer in particular are thin-skinned, light-boned animals that will go down with any reasonable shot with any reasonable cartridge with any reasonable bullet... Hornady's, Speers, B-tip's, etc., etc.

Premiums are a waste of money on these types of animals. However, if you want to waste the money, go for it!

I'm not much of a bear hunter, but my friends who are tell me they go down pretty quickly with standard bullets.

Brad

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Premium bullets are not needed for deer and antelope for 270 and larger.

Premium bullets are not needed for elk with .375 and larger.

Otherwise a premium is a good idea, especially in a high velocity cartridge, to ensure penetration.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I was going to drive down to the river and sneak up on a whitetail I would have no problem using "standard" bullets. However, if I was going on safari, or hunting something that had a good chance of biting me, I would opt for the premium bullets. Thats my way of thinking.

Good luck and good shooting

Posts: 849 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks to all for the suggestions. I feel like a weathervane in a tornado. I can see and agree with every point of view. All points are valid and that is the problem. I'll just have to pick a direction and go. Part of my decision will be based on anchoring the game fast. Where I hunt, you are allowed to hunt on any property that is not posted. This is a great opportunity for most hunters. Unfortunatly this means you can not be 100% sure of who may be sneaking up on the other side of a hill, or across the swamp. I would prefer to keep the death run under 100 yds. I also want to keep the meat damage to the minimum since we can take one deer only in the State of Maine. If the animal runs further there is a good chance of it being shot at by other hunters, you just don't know. I do understand about good shot placement, but I hunt in woods mostly. A scope at 3x and a deer a 90 yds., you do not see the small limbs.

Thanks

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
One thing most folks miss when discussing premiums is that they can offer enhanced performance, if used thoughtfully. If you replace the same weight std bullet with a premium, and use them on light game, you will possibly find the the performance is degraded. However, if you drop down a bullet weight or two, and increase your muzzle velocity ~300 fps, while still obtaining the same penetration of your heavier std, then you just might find you prefer the premiums.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"degrade" how so? The light bullet at hyper speeds is why so much of the space in these rooms is taken up with debates on "bullet failures". Altho I use many premium bullets, I believe a 200gr .308 hornady bullet @ 2800fps kills better than a 150gr .308 Grand Slam bullet @ 3200.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Provided you are obtaining sufficient penetration in a given caliber, the only way to increase the terminal performance, is to increase impact velocity.

The specific question hear was regarding premium bullets for deer. I'm assuming your reference is to a 300 mag, and I'd bet dollars to donuts that a 165 gr X bullet @ 3200 fps would be a more dramatic killer then a 200 gr grand slam @ 2800 for deer and black bears.

Match the bullet to the species, most bullet failures are due to hunters not understanding how bullets perform, and trying to make them do things they weren't designed for.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote