New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Mauser actions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I would say that by far the majority of the actions I see that are customized are a mauser derivitive or actual mauser (whether it be military or commercial).

As far as accuracy, I think that the M700's LEND themselves to being more accurate by their design, this isn't to say that you can't make a mauser very accurate. And how many guns can beat an out of the box Savage? But to me a rifle for bench is much different than a rifle for hunting and I expect different things out of them. If I can put 3 rounds into a 2" spot at 100yds in a hunting rifle I am satisfied, I would expect MOA out of a bench gun, but since I am not a competitor when I want to punch paper that tight I use a little rifle (22 of some sort). And even with a super accurate gun I usually can't do my part for good groups. :-)

On your other thread about who to have build your rifle, I have a different suggestion for you. Come to the ACGG show in Reno this January, bring some money with you. At the banquet they will have an auction, things that went this year were a barreling job, an octagon barrel, checkering job etc. You see my drift? If you had brought the money and been willing you would have been able to get an Octagon barrel by Stratton installed by I can't remember, and then have it checkered by Gary Goudy (considered the finest checkerer alive today). Just an idea. :-)

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Spring,

You have had a lot of great responses on this. what I can say about builders using other actions is that other actions are more readily available. You can't just call and order a FN Mauser action and one of the clones is usually very expensive.

You never did say if you are going to chamber for a long action magnum or what. If I were building I think I would try to find a good Pre'64 if I wanted a 375 length cartridge.

Regards,

Mark

Posts: 13008 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote