New
Find
Notify
Tools

Outside magazine
 Login/Join

<Paleohunter>
posted
I dont know where this really belongs but here it is. Does anyone know if Outside Mag is hunter/gun friendly or not? If not I will not renue my subscription. Also what about Sports Afield. I have subcribed to them for about 5yrs now and every year they seem to be more and more how to say this "yuppie fide" at least Out Door Life hasnt seem to have changed. What do you guys and gals think??

posted Hide Post
Paleo,
I've never seen any hunting- or shooting-related articles any time I've flipped through at the newsstand.

If after five years of getting the magazine you don't know if they're pro- or anti-gun or hunting, then they're probably editorially neutral on the issues.

Why not contact them via e-mail and see if they are willing to run any hunting stories?

Their response should give you insight into their positiions.

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
I like (but don't subscribe to) Outside Magazine. I think it tries to ignore the gun/hunting issue so as to not offend anyone.

Sports Afield is trying to find a new niche. I used to subscribe and got a real chuckle when they did the overnight switch and tried to become Outside magazine in one issue. There was a real uproar. My guess is they are still attempting the switch, but are proceeding slowly this time.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
<Rimrock>
posted
I buy Outside off the newstand. I kinda enjoy it, but just about every issue manages to tick me off somehow... They lean pretty far left, I'd say. We're in the adventure travel business, though, so I like to keep an eye on what's going on. I like National Geographic Adventure better, and did subscribe to that. Anyway, Tim Cahill writes for Outside from time to time. He recently had an article about floating the Missouri, that made some pro-hunting and ranching comments. The first I'd seen ever in that magazine, I believe.

------------------
Cowboy Heaven Consulting
http://www.cowboyhvn.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
I read it at the news stand has good equipment revues,and have bought a few issues.I dont remember ever seeing any thing pro-or con with respect to hunting and fishing.I generaly find it to yuppieish for my tastes.

Posts: 610 | Location: MT | Registered: 01 December 2001Reply With Quote
<audsley>
posted
I believe the man who said Outside generally tries to dodge the issue so as not to offend anyone is correct. But at least Outside has had the guts to poke fun at some of the more extreme elements of the ecology movement.

Sports Afield seems to have returned to its roots following its foolish attempt to court a younger, non-hunting audience. Still it is probably the most highbrow of the Big Three (Outdoor Life and Field & Stream being the other two) and offers some of the most talented and thoughtful writers, Thomas McIntire being an example.