New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grizzly in Alaska
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Is it true that the only way to hunt grizzly in Alaska is to win the lottery?

Posts: 637 | Location: Moscow, Russia | Registered: 13 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Roman BGH:
Is it true that the only way to hunt grizzly in Alaska is to win the lottery?

Twice

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
yes.

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1717 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Lottery as in "draw the tag" or as in "Lotto or PowerBall"?

Posts: 3291 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I mean, is license to hunt grizzly can be taken only by lottery?

Posts: 637 | Location: Moscow, Russia | Registered: 13 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Moi drug, I can't speak of grizzly, but my guess is it's like brown bear: if you've got 10-15K USD, you can go brown/grizzly hunting. Hiring a guide for certain species is a requirement in AK (sheep, goat, moose--I think, brown bear). Go to the Alaska fish and Game website and read. See below. http://www.adfg.state.ak.us/

KG

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Roman,

I can set you up with a grizzly or brown bear hunt in Ak almost anytime. There are some areas that require drawing a tag, only hunt spring or fall on alternate years and only allow one bear every 4 years but a good hunt can be had even this coming fall if you are interested.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12867 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If your serious..There maybe time/opening www.cusackalaska.com
AK

Posts: 16798 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 21 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, colleagues!

One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
As a non-resident alien you are required to use a guide for ALL big game species in Alaska and to answer your question, you can obtain grizzly/brown bear tags over the counter without going through a drawing.

Akrange, you might want to talk to the owner of that website, it's in dire need of updating.

"We band of 45-70'ers"

Posts: 845 | Location: S.C. Alaska | Registered: 27 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M70Nut:
As a non-resident alien you are required to use a guide for ALL big game species in Alaska

Except moose, caribou and black bear, No?

Posts: 2255 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of raybass
posted Hide Post
Yeah texas lotto

Straight shootin to ya

Posts: 531 | Location: Montgomery, Texas | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redhawk1
posted Hide Post
Brent, if the Alaskan guides had there way, you would need them for hunting moose, caribou and black bear. It is a money issue. Guided hunts equal big money. I have been on a self guided hunt for Caribou and did well.

If you're going to make a hole, make it a big one.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Member of the Delaware Destroyers
Member Reeders Misfits
NRA Life Member ENDOWMENT MEMBER
NAHC Life Member
DSA Life Member

Posts: 3142 | Location: Magnolia Delaware | Registered: 15 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yup, just like hunting "wilderness" in Wyoming. It's all about the money.

Personally, I don't like hunting with someone leading me around like a dog on a leash. Just not for me.

Brent

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hunt bear by myself in Russia. I do not think I can do the same in Alaska Smiler

One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brent:
quote:
Originally posted by M70Nut:
As a non-resident alien you are required to use a guide for ALL big game species in Alaska

Except moose, caribou and black bear, No?
Yes, non-resident aliens require a guide for ALL BIG GAME SPECIES. Non-resident US citizens do not need a guide for black bear, moose, or caribou. Key word being "ALIEN".

"We band of 45-70'ers"

one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
What does it take to establish residency in AK?

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
Nobody answered so I dug out the answer myself here.

Looks like a year is what it takes... Not too bad considering what you stand to save.

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of M70Nut
posted Hide Post
12 months living in Alaska, once you cross the border into Alaska from Canada your residnecy starts then. Thats what I was told by F&G. I know you can leave Alaska for a short time but I don't know exactly how long that is and still be considered a resident.

"We band of 45-70'ers"