New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's the best standard bullet?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
In your opinion, what is the best standard, non-premium bullet? With premium bullets I mean bonded, partition or monolitic bullets (like barnes x)
My 2-3 candidates would be Lapua Mega or Speer Mag-Tip or Grand Slam.

Posts: 47 | Location: Norway | Registered: 24 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been shooting all sorts of Hornadys for over 40 years. No complaints.

Posts: 499 | Location: San Antonio , Texas USA | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I shoot lots of Sierra's and Hornady's in std velocity cartidges.
I have been loading 250gr. Woodleighs in my .338 WM and because I got a screaming deal on XLC's I've also bought and adopted them in a couple rifles. I'm in no way afraid to use standard bullets at std velocities. They work way better than all the bashing they take on the 'net and gun rags! Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
My bet is the Hornady Interlocks. I haven't had one failure in 20+ years.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TOP_PREDATOR
posted Hide Post
Winchester power points,Hornady Interlocks

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few." Sir Winston Churchill

Posts: 1881 | Location: Throughout the British Empire | Registered: 08 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fusino
posted Hide Post
I have shot Speers for a long time and have not had a single problem.

--->Happiness is nothing but health and a poor memory<---Albert Schweitzer
--->All I ever wanted was to be somebody; I guess I should have been more specific<---Lily Tomlin

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Since I favor consistency... Sierra's. However, placement is so totally paramount that to discuss common, basic design lead envelopes leaves a bit to be desired when discussing the potential demise of a coveted big-game animal (AKA: Trophy.) If you value your sport and the animals you take, honor them with the best technology can provide.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You know I personally don't ever remember someone telling me that the old Remington Corlokt (SP) ever failed. They look bad when recovered but they really seem to do the job. I've seen a bunch come out of big moose, some bears and caribou and all animals seemed to have died quickly.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jaycocreek
posted Hide Post
I have a very good friend in North Idaho whom was a Military sniper and he swears by the Hornady Interlock.That is all he uses in his 7 Mag and does very well with it on Elk but being the shot he is,I doubt bullet choice would matter.

Personally I would use the Interlock if I couldn't have my Premium bullets.I use Hornady XTP's in my .454 and there undestructable as is the Speer Unicore.

Good luck....Jayco

Posts: 565 | Location: Central Idaho | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Glep:
In your opinion, what is the best standard, non-premium bullet? With premium bullets I mean bonded, partition or monolitic bullets (like barnes x)

Whichever shoots best in the rifle I've chosen. Speer hotcore, Sierra Pro Hunter, or Good old Hornady Interloct. I've never used a Remington CoreLokt.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
Used as the manufacturer recommends all work just fine.

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BlackHawk1
posted Hide Post
Hornady Interlocks.

BH1

There are no flies on 6.5s!

Posts: 707 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had excellent accuracy and performance with Gameking's, Interlok's and Corlokt's I have only recently started tinkering with premium bullets for the magnum loads.

Posts: 168 | Location: People's Republic of New Jersey | Registered: 03 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CaptJack
posted Hide Post
for over-the-counter- Remington CoreLokts - best bang for the buck!!
I've always had great luck with the Speer GrandSlam - great bullet
But my new favorite is definetly the Nosler Accubond !! AWESOME....

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hornady

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The bullet I shoot the must wood have to be the Hornady Interlock.

I miss hunting in B.C.

Posts: 84 | Location: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: 28 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cobra
posted Hide Post
Speer Grand Slams.

Posts: 8827 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Hornady Interlocks and Winchester power points.
never found a need to spend a ton of money on a premium bullet most times they hold together and they always kill.Remington core-lokts also.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3079 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As far as terminal performance is concerned, I think that almost any of the major brands' bullets in a sufficient weight and caliber (with a reasonable shot) will perform quite well.

For accuracy on top of it, I've had sub-MOA performances from every box of factory-loaded Hornady Interlock I've shot in a number of different rifles. Their bullets are very consistent and do an excellent job when they get to the target, too.

Tim

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

Posts: 136 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland--Hah! | Registered: 19 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They all work. The only adverse comment(s) I'm aware of is in regards the Sierra Bullets, specifically that they have a harder core and are less consistant in terminal performance. The comment came from a fellow that discontinued using them a LONG time back. I use Sierra Spitzers in a Contender Carbine chambered in 30-30. Bang-Flop or something close to it. The only bullet company I'm not particularly familiar with is Speer but I've heard enough good stuff about their bullets that I wouldn't be concerned about their performance. Hornady and Remmy Core-Lokt's are golden.

If yuro'e corseseyd and dsyelixc can you siltl raed oaky?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have had great success with PMP Ammo out of SA

WX2-84069 -
PMP® Rifle .300 Win.® Mag. 180 Gr. SP

retains 90% of bullet weight

Posts: 46 | Location: Down South but north of OZ | Registered: 02 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had great luck with Hornady or Core-Lokt. My nephew did have a Core-Lokt blow up on the shoulder of an elk once from a 30-06, but it may have been poor shot placement because we didn't recover it.

JD

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Glep:

the sierra GameKing is my favorite and most-trusted, followed VERY closely by the hornady interlock.

i should qualify this by saying that i have NEVER found any problems with the "plain jane" bullets (remington, federal and/or winchester), and that they have all worked just as well.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BCSteve
posted Hide Post
Good: Moose at 150 yards with a 7mm Rem mag with factory 175 corelock. Hearth shot, bullet exited throught the off side leg.

Not quite as good: Moose at 200 yards, 7mm Rem mag with factory 165 Sierra. Lung shot, bullet did not make it to the off side of the meat.

one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
The Hornady Interlock has to be the best "non primium" premium bullet out there, IMHO.

The Hornadys are inexpensive, nad work just fine. I'd take them above most regular cup and core bullets, and they seem to be accurae, too...

375 Ruger- The NEW KING of the .375's!!

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used Hornady's for years from .243 Win. up to the .338 mag. My favorite was the 140 for my 7mag.
One of my favorite handloads is 165gr Hornady boattails in my '06.
I used 225gr Hornady's in my .338 for plains game in Tanzania for impala, grants gazelle and hartebeest.
I think if you use the correct cartridge for the game being hunted ....Hornady is as good as any.

Sendero300>>>===TerryP

Posts: 489 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 25 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hornady! Cool

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
Kudu56
I have some very pretty hornady boatail textbook mushrooms that I have recovered from deer and elk. I have gotten cheaper in my buys and only purchase in bulk now,and have found the winchester powder points and remington core-lokts are good preformers also but they do not mushroom with the octopus tenacles that the Hornady does but I can reload for $4.00- $6.00 per box if I dont shoot the magnums.For the money they do hold together the best though.
I am old school on reloading and dont think animals have gotten thicker skinned and need a
premium bullet that would stop a biting or scratching animal.And short mags with the minimal bolt throw are ridiculas.But people buy them with the attitude that nothing else will work.As for me most may find it hard to believe but I have never killed a big game animal with anything but but a reload that i have put togeher myself.and I have some nice racks all killed by lead. I like to make it a personal thing.

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3079 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cool

There are all sorts of great value, good, non-premium bullets available, they are accurate and deliver the goods withour all the hype!

1. Hornady Interlok - .308 - 180 gr.
2. Sierra Game Kings, .224, .243 & .308
3. Speer, .243 - 85 gr.
3. Remington Bronze Points, .308 - 150 gr.
4. PMP, .375 - 300 gr. Soft Point

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of LDHunter
posted Hide Post
Yeah... They're all "good" but I can't imagine why anyone would shoot one when they could shoot a Nosler Partition. jump

$bob$

Posts: 2494 | Location: NW Florida Piney Woods | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Idared
posted Hide Post
Speer Mag-tips and the old Nosler Solid Base bullets have worked very well for me over the years.

"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc.

Posts: 845 | Location: Central Washington State | Registered: 12 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal30 1906:
...As for me most may find it hard to believe but I have never killed a big game animal with anything but but a reload that i have put togeher myself.and I have some nice racks all killed by lead. I like to make it a personal thing.

I believe you. Same goes for me. And unless, I'm mistaken, same goes for my brother, as I load all of his stuff too.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used interlocks and corelokts for the past few years and have had no problems. I still like the piece of mind I get with partitions though. In about 30 something years of hunting, the only bullet I ever had "fail", was a factory loaded silver-tip. Even that one eventually killed the deer I hit it with, but it was about a two mile tracking job.

DGK

Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like Sierra's green box; have for 45 years. I've heard there is something better but since I've never had a problem I've never had to spend the extra money to try it.

If I can't make it myself I like Winchester.

Posts: 13873 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Of the standard bullets, I like Hornady Inter-Locts best.

But I like premium bullets, especially Nosler Partitions, a whole lot better........

AD

posted Hide Post
hornady interlock and remington corelock bullets works good but I prefer barnes tsx bullets

Posts: 46 | Location: �rskog, Norway | Registered: 21 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Murf
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Hornady in standard chamberings. 165 gr boattails in 30-06

pssst America, your vulnerability is showing.

Posts: 14361 | Location: Sask. Canada | Registered: 04 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hornady interlocks. To me they are a premium bullet.

Have had good results with the lighter for caliber Sierra Pro-Hunter.

Posts: 37 | Location: Black Hills | Registered: 06 April 2005Reply With Quote