THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Looking for a good set of binoculars for elk hunting.
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for a good set of binoculars for elk hunting.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking for a good set of binoculars for elk hunting. Any recomendation on brand and magnification? I like leupold scopes do they make good binoculars?

Posts: 521 | Registered: 30 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
and I dont mind spending money on quality.

Posts: 521 | Registered: 30 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I have two sets of binoculars that I would recommend to anyone at any price that have served me well.

Nikon Monarchs 12X and Leupold Cascades 10X

I have used the Cascades for a decade with no complaints and picked up the Nikons last year. Both are fine pieces of equipment for the money.

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
I looked thru a lot of different glass before i bought my 10x binos.
Plain and simple the more you pay the better they are. My advise would be to decide what your budget is. Then go out and put several different brands in your hands.

Were the swaros i looked thru better then the lepould gold rings. You bet they were. Were they worth more than double the price. NO!

I liked:
Lepould gold rings
Cabelas euros
Nikon monarchs
Vortex razors

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
The Nikon Monarch 10x have always served me well.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You will use your Binoculars more than anything else except for your boots. Lower end glass just wont cut it for my eyes. I have used a pair of Zeiss Victory 10x for the past 13 years. They have held up well to hard use, knocks, and fumbling moments. Weather has never affected them. If they were to be replaced today. I would get the Zeiss !

Hang on TITE !!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I went looking for a set of new Bino's I contacted Doug at Camerland. He recommended the Minox 10X44 BL for my budget. I haven't chased elk with them yet but they have been a huge upgrade from my Leupold RB800 range finding binoculars that were only 8X33. I was suggested ZenRay binoculars as well but I couldn't find any to handle locally like I could the Minox.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the Pentax DCF 8x43 and love them for Alaska. I wish I had owned them when I used to live in elk country. I struggled for years with inadequate optics and regret not buying good glass 30 years ago.

Mart

"...I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprize, and independance to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 993 | Location: Wasilla, AK | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Best power for general hunting is probably 8x40. Advantages include portability, power enough to spot animals, and large field of view. 10x seems more popular but I prefer the 8x.
You get what you pay for in optics. "Best" are expensive but it is all relative considering you're probably riding around in a $50k truck sporting $300 apiece tires and some other expensive accessories. Given that the $2k binos will last a lifetime and the $50k truck will do well to last 5 years . . . . I'd buy the best binos you can find - Zeiss, Swaro, Leica. Next step down is probably high end Kahles, Pentax & Nikon. The rest will give you a headache if you look through them all day.

Pancho
LTC, USA, RET

"Participating in a gun buy-back program because you think that criminals have too many guns is like having yourself castrated because you think your neighbors have too many kids." Clint Eastwood

Give me Liberty or give me Corona.

Posts: 935 | Location: Roswell, NM | Registered: 02 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A "full size" pair of Zeiss or Swarovski of your preference is one of the best choices for using. A "compact" of either one is a good choice for carrying.

Posts: 816 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 24 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of edholum
posted Hide Post
Leica Geovid with the built in rangefinder. PERIOD! You will never want to use another set of binoculars again because they will all seem inferior.

"Conservation through Hunting"

Posts: 260 | Location: SE South Dakota | Registered: 20 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Leica Geovid. I traded up until I found what I really wanted. I am staying here. Fantastic optics and a rangefinder in one unit.

http://cameralandny1.reachloca...s/site.pl?page=40028

Posts: 478 | Location: Central Indiana | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drm-hp:
Leica Geovid. I traded up until I found what I really wanted. I am staying here. Fantastic optics and a rangefinder in one unit.

http://cameralandny1.reachloca...s/site.pl?page=40028

+1

Also take a look at the Bushnell 1600 range finding binos

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Up in Colo elk hunting a few years ago I had my Zeiss 10x42 and a buddy had his Nikon Monarchs. We were looking at elk across the canyon about 1/2 mile. We all agreed that the Nikons were at least as good if not better than the Zeiss which really hurt my feelings because I had paid twice as much for them as my buddy had paid for his Nikons. CRYBABY

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3829 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
best advice i can give is to go somewhere (like cabelas) that has a bunch of different kinds and look through them all & see wht your eyes like best

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
+1

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My current favorite binoculars are my Leupold 7X to !2X dual power binoculars. The 7X is good for scanning and the 12X to see "what is it?"

Get the 'power' or optic that your eye likes instead of what someone else says.

When we go to the doctor they ask us what lens we like!

Do that with your optics.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Swarovski 8x32 (lightweight / rugged)

Posts: 1490 | Location: New York | Registered: 01 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zeiss or Swarovski, unless you want a headache. signed, a poor Mainer

Posts: 214 | Location: maine, usa | Registered: 07 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It totally depends on your budget, but there is no need anymore to spend more than $1k on glass. I see lots and lots of glass come into our camps, and I own a SLC HD 10x42 which is fantastic. However, a Meopta/Cabelas Euro HD, Leupold McKinley, Leupold GR HD, Pentax ED, and probably a few others will do everything the SLC HD does, for half the cheddar.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Swarovski! tu2

Go to the classifieds and check out Camera Lands deals.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blacktailer:
Up in Colo elk hunting a few years ago I had my Zeiss 10x42 and a buddy had his Nikon Monarchs. We were looking at elk across the canyon about 1/2 mile. We all agreed that the Nikons were at least as good if not better than the Zeiss which really hurt my feelings because I had paid twice as much for them as my buddy had paid for his Nikons. CRYBABY

I am looking for new binoculars as well. Your comment (nobody willingly eats humble pie!) just sold me on the Monarchs. Thanks.

Jim

Posts: 61 | Location: Houston and Seguin, Texas | Registered: 03 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like Swarovski 10X42. Spend the bucks and you won't be disappointed.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I've had a set of Nikon Monarchs in 10x42 for about 12 years. Been really happy with them and I've treated them really rough, not abuse I use them a lot and when not up to my eyes they are around my neck or in the seat of the truck next to me for months of the year. Keep thinking about upgrading to "better" glass but every time I look through new ones I'm never so impressed that I have to "upgrade". Mine show some wear but they've been on rough hunts, I think I'll keep them until something else "wows" me into that upgrade.
I think bino's and rifle scopes are two things you have to use to tell if you like them, some people just see different than others.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
If you want to buy once and never look back then go look through the Swarovski's, leica's and Zeiss binoculars and pick the one you like best. You really need to look through them though, everybody's eyes are different

If you want a binocular that's half the price and built like a tank go with the Cabelas Euro HD, I have a pair and they are fantastic. It's just a rebadged Meopta MeoStar

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FishN4Eyes
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by twilli:
I like Swarovski 10X42. Spend the bucks and you won't be disappointed.

Could not agree more!

Posts: 736 | Location: Helena, Montana | Registered: 28 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
Another tip is, if possible go outside and look through them instead of in the store. Preferably early or late in the day.

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of swaro SLC 10x42 for sale for $600. Slightly used but in good shape.

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2980 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Herald:
I have a pair of swaro SLC 10x42 for sale for $600. Slightly used but in good shape.

Here you go! You'd be NUTS not to PM Tim and jump on this.

Tim, I'll email you this morning

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In fact, if you don't buy em let me know Big Grin

Tim, emails sent, 4 total

One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
All binos are great on a nice, clear day or inside Cabela's. You can tell the difference in the high end binos when the weather and light conditions are bad. Under most conditions, the Nikon, Bushnell, Leupold, etc. are fine. When conditions are less than ideal, that is where the high dollar binos show why they cost so much. I have the Leica Geovid with the range finder and I love it. I would have been just as happy with similar Zeiss or Swarovski binos. Call cameralandny and ask what they have as demo models for sale. They saved me a LOT of money on my Leicas.

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
The advantage I had working at "The World's Foremost Outfitter" <choke-gag-puke> was getting to know the factory reps and seeing all the cool products side by side. Everyone's eyes are different, try every one you can and do it side by side if possible.
That being said, everyone who looked through the Leica 10X42 Ultravids was impressed.
We had Swarovs, Nikons whatever, side by side, they were impossible to beat.

10X42 Armored were the best ones. They also have the watershedding coating. If I was going to spend over $1500 for a pair of binos, these would be them.

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thunder Head:
Another tip is, if possible go outside and look through them instead of in the store. Preferably early or late in the day.
Yes, definitely. Or go into a back room where there isn't 10,000 lights blaring...that's what we did.

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blacktailer:

There is something to be said for having TWO pairs for the price of one! Big Grin
The Monarchs probably sold as many units as most of the other brands (premium brands) combined.

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really like my Kahles 10x binos. An under-rated Austrian company that makes great glass.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have two pair of Swarovski`s.I bought the SLC 7X42s over 20 years ago.They needed repair about 3 years ago and I sent them to their repair station.In two weeks the bino`s came back with everything new ,including the updated glass.The actual frame was the only thing not replaced.Cost to me nada,nothing,zip,zero.That is why when I wanted a higher power I bought a set of 10X42 SLC Neu. Swarovski`s.they stand behind their product.I would jump all over the 10 X 42s for $600.00 mentioned above if I was looking. Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like my 8x Nikon Monarch binoculars. Note that there is a question as to what magnification glass to use. I can hold 8x glass steady enough to look out of. 10x is maybe over to much for me WITHOUT a tripod. 12x or more is likely to be too much magnification for non-tripod use. I would suggest bearing this in mind when buying glass. The issue is everyone's hands shake. If you have 100x glass, you are going to be shaking so hard that you won't be able to see anything! What is the sweet spot for hand held binoculars? For me 8x. For others maybe 10x.

If you are going to use a tripod, why not just get a good spotting scope? I think binoculars are inherently hand-held optics.

One of Us
Picture of Shukaree
posted Hide Post
If you get yourself a good pair of European optics, you will never look back, the difference is head and shoulders above the rest.

Leica, Swarovski,Zeiss,Minox, the last is the most inexpensive, getting the rangefinder option means having to carry one less gadget and never having to guess the distance out to 1200 mtrs.

To hunt, fish and tell only the truth.

Posts: 135 | Location: Brisbane Australia | Registered: 25 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
If you are looking in the $500 bracket, try the Nikon Monarch 7's. Very good glass for the money and better than many that cost much more.

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of hunt99
posted Hide Post
Swarovski EL 10x42 or 8X42. There are great deals now on the older style and up to $1000 or more off as many are upgrading to swarovision. Leica geovid are great as well, anyone have any experience with the Swaro range-finding bino??

I hunt to live and live to hunt!

Posts: 299 | Location: Big Sky Country! | Registered: 19 March 2011Reply With Quote