New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another wolf incident
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Wis. DNR following the British example if they didn't bite you how do you know it was a real attack.

http://www.gunwatch.blogspot.c...lends-credit-to.html

Wolf attacks are extremely rare, less common than mountain lion or bear attacks in North America. It is not hard to understand skepticism about a hunter's account of a wolf attack where he used a .380 pistol to successfully defend himself, in central Wisconsin. The pistol used was a Walther PK.

The Department of Natural Resources investigated. They believed the account, but did not list it as a wolf attack, because there was no injury to the defending human. From americanhunter.org:

The first wolf came in from the right, mouth open, fangs ready to rip into Nellesen's leg. A swift kick from the man’s boot landed square on the wolf's face and deflected the bite.

“That first wolf missed my leg by 8-10 inches,” he said.

The other two wolves weren’t far behind. As the next wolf leapt toward Nellessen, the man jumped back and was able to fire a single round into the animal. Nellessen was unsure of the lethality of the hit, but two wolves immediately retreated for the bush at the sound of the gunshot and the third limped away “like a gut-shot deer," said Nellessen.
Another account from the same area lends credibility to Nellesen's story. A father and son were in the area for a youth deer hunt on October 10th, a little more than two weeks after the first incident. From outdoornews.com:

That incident involved a father and son who had one wolf pass by them at about 10 feet and a following wolf come to within 5 feet before a shot was fired into the air, according to DNR Chief Warden Todd Schaller.
Both incidents occurred in the Colburn Wildlife Management Area, which is located in Adams County, about 75 miles due north of Madison, Wisconsin.

Nellessen says this about the classification of his incident as "not an attack":

“You do not have to be harmed to be attacked,” Nellessen said. “They can label it whatever they want to label it. I thought I was going to die and I had to defend myself. That first wolf’s teeth just missed my thigh.

“I let the authorities know what happened. I took them to where it happened. I could have walked away and not said anything, but what if something would have happened to someone else? I had to report it.

The Department of Natural Resources temporarily closed two of the parking lots for the management area. Traps were set for wolves, but none were caught. The DNR thought the incident serious enough that they had decided that any wolves caught would be euthanized.

©2015 by Dean Weingarten: Permission to share is granted when this notice is included.
Link to Gun Watch

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It sounds like the hunters in Wis need to do a little wolf thinning during deer hunting season and any other time of the year. Maybe live trap some and put them in Madison and Milwaukee for the Libs to deal with. Why do city people love predators? I sure feel for the good people in Wis., Michigan, and Minnesota over this wolf management plan.

Posts: 296 | Location: Clyde Park, MT | Registered: 29 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of don444
posted Hide Post
Wolves SUCK !!!!

Posts: 551 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Im anti wolf, we never needed them, but the Gov. and the Liberals said we did..they are really hurting our elk and deer populations..

The idiots in the Ivory Towers are not mathematically inclined obviously..Wolves have 3 litters of about 6 to 8 babies in about 18 months, elk and deer have twins as a rule, of which only one normally survives in that same time period, go figure where that's going. dumb bastards.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i think we need wolves , bears ,cougars , leopards, tigers and lions running loose---

dancing

"The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane." Mark Twain
TANSTAAFL

www.savannagems.com A unique way to own a piece of Africa.

DSC Life
NRA Life

Posts: 3386 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 05 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So the guy was hunting but when attacked by wolves, he chooses to defend hinself with his Walther 380. As the saying goes, never let the truth stand in the way of a good story.
Regards, Bill

Posts: 3784 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
who says he had another firearm?? bow hunter, perhaps?

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13448 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thomas "Ty" Beaham
posted Hide Post
The man was scouting a potential hunting area in the Colburn WMA of Adams County.

http://www.americanhunter.org/...with-walther-pk-380/

Posts: 3049 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 07 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
-----he claimed"

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A .380? wow! talk about inexperience...I have only shot one coyote with a .380 Walther PPK, loaded with super vel HP ammo, quickly emptied it in his heart/lung/gut area as he flipped and flopped at very close range,the first shot did disable him. Was shooting out my Pick Up window..finally killed him with a big rock! sold the .380, never owned another. Were it a wolf today and I had a .380 I'd save the last shot for myself! Eeker

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There was a good article about this in the Dec. issue of NRA's American Hunter magazine.

Posts: 11636 | Location: Wisconsin  | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ya gotta unnerstand, if they log it in as a wolf attack, and a few more incidents occur, then they have to do something publicly. Like admit it.

You will note, that they set traps in the area and would have euthanized those non-attacking wolves.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote