New
Find
Notify
Tools

Deodorizing well-used boots
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Clement's post on boots reminded me to ask this question.

What do you use for taking the stink out of a pair of boots? I came home from pheasant hunting a couple of weeks ago, took my boots off as soon as I walked through the door, and had my wife immediately throw me, and the offending footwear, out of the kitchen.

All suggestions welcomed.

Posts: 178 | Location: New York | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used spray Lysol before, as well as liberal amounts of baking powder.

I've found my best solution is to regularly rotate the boots I wear to give them a break, and then to let them air out thoroughly, in the sun. Sitting in the garage isn't nearly as effective as in the sun.

Still, some need a LOT of airing out time...

one of us
posted Hide Post
WhiteEagle, I've got a good solution for you to try. It worked with the Diaper pail and so it should work for boots too.

Buy some of the Scent Blocker "Carbon Blast" spray. Instead of just spraying it down into your boots, spray several paper towels down with the Carbon Blast and stuff them down into your boots. That way when the stink is absorbed you can throw the paper towels away taking the stink with 'em. If you just spray down the inside of your boots, it will absorb the smell but still be in the boots.

One of my little boys left diaper pail smelling so bad you'd get dry heaves just approaching it. Using the paper towels with the Carbon Blast kept the wretching down to a bare minimum.

I also spay down a paper towel and store it inside the sealed bags I keep my hunting clothing to absorb extra smells I don't want.

Here is the Cabela's link to the Carbon Blast:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jhtml?id=0004705415023a&type=product&cmCat=search&returnString=hasJS=true&_D%3AhasJS=+&QueryText=carbon+spray&_DARGS=%2Fcabelas%2Fen%2Fcommon%2Fsearch%2Fsearch-box.jhtml.22&Go.x=24&Go.y=12&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=carbon+spray&noImage=0&returnPage=search-results1.jhtml

Good luck, I hope it works as well for you as it did for me. Who says your hunting stuff can't be real life useful?............DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got the shivering creeps when you mentioned the diaper pail stench.
It has been nearly 20 years & the mere mention of it brought back awful memories.

Mike

Posts: 201 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CaptJack
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cold Bore:
I've used spray Lysol before, as well as liberal amounts of baking powder ??

Don't you mean Baking Soda ??
Baking Powder has yeast in it. You might start something growing on your feet or in you boots Wink Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by whiteeagle:
Clement's post on boots reminded me to ask this question.<br /><br />What do you use for taking the stink out of a pair of boots? I came home from pheasant hunting a couple of weeks ago, took my boots off as soon as I walked through the door, and had my wife immediately throw me, and the offending footwear, out of the kitchen.<br /><br />All suggestions welcomed.

Seems to me that the indestructible pair of boots as a lifetime investment may not be such a keen concept.. Big Grin

AK-47
The only Communist Idea that Liberals don't like.

Posts: 10170 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don't you mean_ Baking Soda ??_

Well, OK, if you're gonna split hairs. Big Grin

The stuff in the little Arm & Hammer box. Powder, soda, flour, bread crumbs, whatever. Razzer

posted Hide Post
Every few weeks during the hunting season, I use deoderizing dog shampoo and a soft plastic bristled brush to clean the inside and outside of my hunting boots. After I rinse them off, I put them on a Peet boot dryer overnight and then I apply Obenauf's LP to the leather uppers. I also try to rotate boots in order to give them a chance to dry out completely on the boot dryer.

Posts: 6 | Location: Waterloo, Iowa | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote