New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stupid Question?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
This is a question regarding looks/asthetics. Please don't ban me from the forum for asking this question. I have a Marlin 1895 Guide Gun .45-70 in stainless steel. I want to put an AO Lever Scout Scope Mount and Leupold M8 scout scope on it (http://www.ashleyoutdoors.com). The AO scope mount is only available in black. Because the mount is black (not available in stainless) it doesn't match the gun. Would you consider this an issue? If not what scope and rings would you use? Silver scope and rings or black scope and rings? Thanks for humoring me on this one. I just love the look of the gun and don't want to make it look like an abortion.

If anyone has better recommendations on mounts/sights I would like to hear those as well. I have considerd the peep sight because I have one on my M1894 Winny and it works great. I'd really like to go with a scope setup on this one though. Thanks!!

[This message has been edited by Shark Bait (edited 02-27-2002).]

Posts: 487 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
SharkBait,
You already have a lever-action in (gasp!) stainless steel.
What difference will it make if you use a black scope mount?
If YOU like it, that's all that matters.

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
Your worried about your lever action looking like Mr. T's bicycle?

You may want to call the factory and order a set of unfinished rings and bases. They all start out in the white. Surely you can find something that will work AND match your gun.

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zero Drift:

You may want to call the factory and order a set of unfinished rings and bases. They all start out in the white. Surely you can find something that will work AND match your gun.

Mr. Drift,
I thought about that, but I really like the way the AO scout system works. It places the intermediate eye relief scope out on the barrel instead of over the action for a real quick sight picture and a better handling gun.

Posts: 487 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zero Drift:

Mr. Drift,
I thought about that, but I really like the way the AO scout system works. It places the intermediate eye relief scope out on the barrel instead of over the action for a real quick sight picture and a better handling gun. Thanks!

one of us
posted Hide Post
SB,

Probably ZD meant the AO factory. I agree with both of you - you should have what you want in equipment, and can probably make it match. Personally, I'm not that crazy about bright finish scopes, but since the rifle is already SS (and I think that's great!), I can understand it. One of the reasons I don't like the white scopes is that they may not match your SS in color. Because of that, the black AO mts may even be an aesthetic advantage. Or even a black scope. Truthfully, I'm more in conflict over your situation than you are! Sounds like a great rig to me, but once you go stainless on the gun, I don't think it looks good except bare.

The above is not much of an answer. You could probably sandblast the mounts very nicely with a dowel mounted in them so you don't change dimensions, but you'd still have to find what to finish them with. Maybe your gunsmith has some ideas.

No matter what you do, it sounds like a nice rig, and I'm sure that once you start using it, you'll be happy.

P.S. Black peep on a stainless gun looks classy to me, so if you go that route instead of the scope, I don't think you have an aesthetic problem at all.

[This message has been edited by Recono (edited 02-27-2002).]

Posts: 2272 | Location: PDR of Massachusetts | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Personally, I much prefer a matte scope on a stainless gun. I have a french gray single shot with a matte scope, much nicer than a mismatch of three (rifle, mount, scope) different colors of stainless. JMO, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Recono:
SB,

Probably ZD meant the AO factory. I agree with both of you - you should have what you want in equipment, and can probably make it match. Personally, I'm not that crazy about bright finish scopes, but since the rifle is already SS (and I think that's great!), I can understand it. One of the reasons I don't like the white scopes is that they may not match your SS in color. Because of that, the black AO mts may even be an aesthetic advantage. Or even a black scope. Truthfully, I'm more in conflict over your situation than you are! Sounds like a great rig to me, but once you go stainless on the gun, I don't think it looks good except bare.

The above is not much of an answer. You could probably sandblast the mounts very nicely with a dowel mounted in them so you don't change dimensions, but you'd still have to find what to finish them with. Maybe your gunsmith has some ideas.

No matter what you do, it sounds like a nice rig, and I'm sure that once you start using it, you'll be happy.

Recono,

Thanks for the feedback. I also would really prefer to leave the gun bare as it sure looks purtty, however my middle aged eyes just don't work the way they used to. I also like the idea of a scope for load development at 100 yards. With the standard sights or peep sights I don't think I could shoot well enough at 100 yards to truly test how well loads group. Thanks again!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Shark Bait, I'm fortunate to have a whole bunch of Stainless(and Synthetic) rifles. Each one has a Black Base, Black Rings and a Black Scope mounted on them. Most Matte Black, but a few shiny ones still hanging in there.

In fact, if Marlin ever makes that same rifle in a 24" 444Mar(or 45-70) S&S, I'll be forced into buying one myself. I even have an old steel El Passo made Weaver K3-C3 ready for the rifle - wake up Marlin!

I'm not a fan of the Scout Scope and think that if Col.Cooper had bothered to ask any of the guys in the field what they think about it, he would have dropped the idea before it became public. Having "been there and done that" portion of the CORPS, the Scout Scope idea is a "Cluster ____ in Progess" (as we used to say) for "any" MARINE field applications.

That said, if you like the idea, by all means go for it. It is your rifle and if it performs the way "YOU" want, that is all that is important.

Then once you can't take a shot at a HUGE Trophy because of Scope Flare, you can remove the Scout Scope, toss it as far as possible, remount another scope properly and talk trash about the Scout Scope too. ;^)

------------------
Good hunting and clean 1-shot kills, Hot Core

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
Hey Shark Bait, I'm fortunate to have a whole bunch of Stainless(and Synthetic) rifles. Each one has a Black Base, Black Rings and a Black Scope mounted on them. Most Matte Black, but a few shiny ones still hanging in there.

In fact, if Marlin ever makes that same rifle in a 24" 444Mar(or 45-70) S&S, I'll be forced into buying one myself. I even have an old steel El Passo made Weaver K3-C3 ready for the rifle - wake up Marlin!

I'm not a fan of the Scout Scope and think that if Col.Cooper had bothered to ask any of the guys in the field what they think about it, he would have dropped the idea before it became public. Having "been there and done that" portion of the CORPS, the Scout Scope idea is a "Cluster ____ in Progess" (as we used to say) for "any" MARINE field applications.

That said, if you like the idea, by all means go for it. It is your rifle and if it performs the way "YOU" want, that is all that is important.

Then once you can't take a shot at a HUGE Trophy because of Scope Flare, you can remove the Scout Scope, toss it as far as possible, remount another scope properly and talk trash about the Scout Scope too. ;^)

Hot Core,

I have not had the opportunity to use the Scout Scope setup. I am considering it because it looks to provide a better handling gun that one mounted over the receiver. I read the below article on it and was sold.

http://www.gunblast.com/AO_Leupold.htm

Can you tell me specifically what you don't like about the scout scope setup? Why would a scout scope give more flare than a normal mount? Is this because the close proximity of your face to a normal mounted scope prohibits the flare?

Thanks!

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Yours is not a stupid question at all. Aesthetics, porportion and form mean a lot. It's what distinguishes a fine firearm from one that is mainly functional.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Shark Bait, Yes, you are correct! Having the scope that far away from your face "opens the angle" for a rising or setting sun to Flare the scope. This occurs when the sun is at a slight angle behind you.

When the scope is mounted on the receiver, obviously the opposite is true - the angle is reduced. And in a worst case situation, you can take your off-side hand and cup it over the rear Scope lens. Thus your hand would touch both the scope and your forehead to block out any errant rays.

Obviously the "hand cupped on the scope" is not the best situation, since the rifle can not be held as steady as it can with that same hand on the forearm, but depending on what you have the rifle resting across, the distance to the target might still allow making a kill shot viable.

Another problem is when you are carrying the rifle and having to drag something(hopefully a HUGE Trophy Buck) or in the case of the military, perhaps a fellow MARINE with the off-side arm. With the rifle slung muzzle down and you are holding the sling about half way up, the normal scope mount has the scope fall under your bicept which helps protect it. I've been in situations where I needed to go to the ground quickly and the scope was protected. Now, a person may not need to get down as quick when hunting game, but the scope is still protected as you move through heavy understory "by your arm".

It also changes the balance of the firearm so that it no longer "feels" balanced for off-hand shots. It is now barrel heavy and I do agree that is a real advantage in some situations when using a shotgun, but not on a rifle for me.

Not even sure you could get the rifle "into" a standard "single" gun case. I guess it depends on how it is shaped.

I hope I worded it well enough that you can understand what I'm trying to say. BUT, you can take your current rifle outside and see quickly what I'm talking about when it comes to the Flare. Generally there is about 2 hours on each end of the day where this can be a REAL issue.

Tape the scope to the barrel and check the balance. Pitiful!

Sling it upside down and see where the scope is located. And yes, we all know to carry upside down and protect the muzzle with tape(or we should).

I hope my dislike of the Scout Concept keeps anyone who reads this from making that mistake. But as I said before, it's yours and if you want to try it, you should.

Even the Scout "Rifle" concept as Col. Cooper designed it has serious design flaws for combat, but I'd rather not go into those. Pitiful!

BTW, the suggestion Recono made about the Black Peep Sight sounds like an outstanding one. I seem to remember reading somewhere(maybe this Board) about using Quick Detachable Mounts and someone making a Peep(Ashley?) that hooks to the Base where the Scope was. If I didn't read that, someone Patent it for me!!! ;^)

------------------
Good hunting and clean 1-shot kills, Hot Core

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Daryl Elder>
posted
I have seen one stainless GG with the stocks painted black with grey specks. Looks pretty good and would fit in with your color scheme.FWIW.

<Mike Dettorre>
posted
just read the signature line...

------------------
MED

The sole purpose of a rifle is to please its owner

<Zeke>
posted
I wonder if your friendly neighborhood 1911 pistolsmith could hard-chrome your scopemount? It would look just like stainless steel and last forever.

ZM

[This message has been edited by Zeke (edited 02-28-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Brushed or bead blasted hard chrome looks just like stainless. I had a .45 frame hard chromed and brushed 10 years ago and it still looks great.

Posts: 627 | Location: Niceville, Florida | Registered: 12 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Y'all. Thanks for the feedback and not laughing me out of town for my question. Thanks again to you all!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a friend who spray paints his stainless barrels with barbeque grill paint. If you want to match colors that is a possibility.

Jeff

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote
<Reloader66>
posted
Check the Burris line of rings and bases in silver to match your rifle. I am certain they have what your after in the silver. I would not put any rifle combination together to suit some one else. It is your rifle and you make it the way you want the rifle to look like. If you like the looks and want to keep that look, find the right parts or have a gun smith fashion them for you. If you sell it then the new owner can do what he or she likes with the rifle.

<duck223>
posted
Try the Bsquare mount.