THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Re: Is The 243 Really Big Enough For Deer?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Is The 243 Really Big Enough For Deer?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
If I get this right a 243 (6mm) is not quite enough for deer. Now a 7x57 is a elephant gun! Not much room in the middle there is there? Guns are either varmit rifles or elephant guns.
I have used a 243 for 20 years on nice sized muledeer and even a elk. I have never had a failure because of the rifle or load. My load is a 100 gr hornady at 3150 fps. It was named the death ray by my friends.
Gun magazines have led us to beleave that the only guns that kill have the word MAGNUM on the case. Ron

Quote:

if you do things right every time yes but instead of following the 7-08 lemming colony look at a 7/57 same performance upto 160gr better above when handloaded and works for elephant just ask WDM BELL.

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

For a 100% serious deer rifle, I think they start with about a .308, 30-06, as 30 caliber leaves enough entrance hole and exit hole to leave good blood trails 99% of the time.

So you are saying that nothing smaller than a 30 caliber is a serious "deer rifle".
Come on now! that is leaving out a lot of guns. 270, 25-06, and many others. Ron

Posts: 985 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have killed a few deer with a 243, my wife has killed several whitetail and antelope as well as a few mule deer. She has killed antelope as far as 350 yards and a big mule deer at @ 250. We never had a problem. We always used either a 100 gr Sierra or a 95 grain Partition. All shots were either mostly broadside or head on. For that type of shooting I consider the 243 fine. I would not use one for jumping deer in the thick stuff, where a raking shot might be required.
I switched my wife to a 308 when we got on a deer lease that has a lot of pigs.If I was starting a youngster out I would get a youth model in 308 and use reloads or Federals new reduced power 170 grain load.
In fact when I can find some of them I am going to use them in my Blaser 308 or in my wifes drilling in 30-06 for a deer and a pig or two and report on the results.
Once upon a time I loaded some 150 grain 30-30 projectiles in a 308 with 37 gr. of IMR 3031 for a bubdy that had a Ruger short bbl 308 with a Mannlicher stock. Full power loads kicked him to much. Those loads killed deer like a 300 WBY.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For stand hunting PA whitetails a 243 is great. Other circumstances may differ.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

The .243 is an over-hyped POS

Mine is the Ackley version. You can tell me that 85 gr. Barnes TSX at nearly 3500 fps is a POS? It won't kill deer?

Someone will need to explain tht to me and the deer both.

Quote:

For a 100% serious deer rifle, I think they start with about a .308, 30-06, as 30 caliber leaves enough entrance hole and exit hole to leave good blood trails 99% of the time.

You can skip over some nice choices like 7 Rem mag and 7-08?
These deer you all hunt must be nearly immortal.

Posts: 109 | Location: IL | Registered: 20 July 2002Reply With Quote