New
Find
Notify
Tools

favorite deer stands
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What is your favorite portable stand? Mine is the Tree Lounge. It is very comfortable and easy to carry like a back pack.
tree lounge

Posts: 493 | Location: GEORGIA, U.S.A. | Registered: 28 April 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
right knee, left foot, rifle over left knee?

LOL,
jeffe

Posts: 39633 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use ladders over consistently used travel routes and food sources. (That reminds me it's time to take the wire brush and spray paint in soon)

Of course you have to take scrapes where you find them and use climbers and on public land as well.

But for convenience ladders are hard to beat.

Posts: 612 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a new climber this past year and is the most comfortable one I have ever used. It is called a Gunslinger and they are made in ST. Augustine, Fl. They are very similar to the Treelounger but face the tree, also give hunting club discounts according to the number purchased. Previously I have used Warren&Sweat climbers. I only use climbers that face the tree as I don't like climbing in and out of a stand 30 ft up a tree and can strap a shooting rest on the tree. If anyone wants any more info on the Gunslinger let me know and I'll try and find the paperwork that came with mine.

Posts: 284 | Location: Plant City, Fl,USA | Registered: 12 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a API grand slam and I love it but I live in WV and the hills are big and the tree stant WT.23 pounds and I WT.123 so short hunts is ok longe huntes leave it at the house.Live to hunte .hunte to live.SHORTMAG.good hunting

Posts: 302 | Location: west virginia | Registered: 10 December 2002Reply With Quote
<Doc in Texas>
posted
A 16'Stongbuilt Tripod as the area I hunt is flat with very low trees. With most shoot be 175 to 300 yds.

Doc

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The treelounger has my seal of approval. I can take it anywhere and also attach wheels to it to carry out the deer. This year I sat facing the tree to watch a field behind me. Worked great. BLocked me from the deer and made for a very stable shot.

Posts: 115 | Location: mid west | Registered: 10 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I really like the Summit Viper. It improved my bowhunting opportunities 10x. It's comfortable and quiet too. A nice ladder stand would be a great addition for the areas that are devoid of trees suitable for climbing. Who makes the best ladder anyway?

[ 01-25-2003, 08:09: Message edited by: Nebraska ]

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ditto the Summit Viper. I just bought the Ultra model last fall. Twasn't cheap, but it was worth every penny. I can sit in the tree quietly, all day if I want to.

Posts: 177 | Location: SW Florida | Registered: 26 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Buckshot climbers are the best I have used and I've owned and tried a lot of them.

I plan on buying a couple of centershots soon.

http://www.buckshot-stands.com/PRODUCT.CFM?X=13

Posts: 3167 | Location: out behind the barn | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<jd_1>
posted
Another vote for the Summit Viper...

one of us
posted Hide Post
ncboman,

Why are the Buckshots the best? I'd like to hear what features appeal to you and others here.

I've been from the original Bakers through Amackers, API, Ol' Man and Tree Lounge.

I'm settled pretty much on Tree Lounge and API for rifle/face away and Ol'Man for archery/away. I wouldn't mind a good rifle/towards tree stand.

The Summit Viper sounds like it has a following. Why?

Posts: 612 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used an API Grand Slam Supreme the past couple of years and I like it a lot. It's easy to climb with and nice and comfy to sit it. My favorite stand that I just used for the first time is a two person ladder stand I bought from Cabela's. At 125 lbs. it is not really portable but with a 48" padded bench seat I can take either my son or daughter along and we have plenty of room. I have it set up on the back of my property and I had some great hunts with my kids this past fall.

Jeff

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve Y,

I also used a Baker for years before the modern stands came about. [Big Grin]

I have used a prototype of the BigShot for about 15yrs of heavy use and it's still rock solid. It's fairly lightweight, well built and safe. I know the engineer that designed the stand and I assure you he is a perfectionist, although he sold or gave away the rights long ago.

It is one of the few stands you can stand on any corner with one foot and the stand not shift or rock.

I travel about whitetail country often and any new stand I see others using, I will climb with if they'll let me. Most are very willing to let me 'see'. [Smile]

Summit makes a good stand but I and some others prefer Buckshots. I wouldn't tell my name for a lounge. I like to hide in the tree, not be a billboard since I am a bow man.

Mine is slower to hookup than the newer models. That, along with boys coming along, is why I am going to the centershot. Quick hookup is good.

I haven't climbed with a centershot yet but I'll check it out before I buy. If it is nearly as solid as the Bigshot, I'll buy. I don't want my sons using less than the best in climbers.

There are several very good climbers on the market so my choice isn't the 'only' thing to have, but I have bowkilled well over a hundred deer from mine and I've got set in my ways. [Big Grin]

[ 01-28-2003, 12:07: Message edited by: ncboman ]

Posts: 3167 | Location: out behind the barn | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Frank>
posted
I second the tree lounge it is the best one I have climbed with.