Notify
Tools

#1 wish list xmas present
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
lets keep it realistic
what would be your #1 xmas wish gift

my sweety is looking over my shoulder so i'm asking for base and rings to marry the 375 with a new scope

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To hunt wolves here in Wyoming. BOOM

Posts: 847 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
To hunt wolves here in Wyoming

Ditto! tu2

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kudu56:
quote:
To hunt wolves here in Wyoming

Ditto! tu2

+2

Tom Kessel
Hiland Outfitters, LLC (BG-082)
Hiland, Wyoming
www.hilandoutfitters.com

Posts: 402 | Location: Central Wyoming | Registered: 14 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jjbull
posted Hide Post
my standard answer again this year, ravenr;

canned goods and ammunition.

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Give me the simple life; an AK-47, a good guard dog and a nymphomaniac who owns a liquor store.

Posts: 820 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota/Florida's Gulf Coast | Registered: 23 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NavyVet
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just-a-hunter:
Well.. A bit of a story here,

My wife only knows a couple things about me. To be honest thats all there is to know about me. She knows I love guns and I love to hunt.

So turns out she wanted to suprise me for my birthday. I came home on my birthday to a wrapped, long, narrow box. I knew it was a gun but didn't know what I was in store for. I was way pleasantly suprised to find a Remington hougue tacticle .223! Turns out she went out of her way to get in contact with all my buddies to find out what gun I've been smittin for and they steered her in that direction.

I told her I needed a scope and rings for it and that would be plenty for Christmas. She's asked me several times what I want for Christmas since then and I keep telling her I want a wife just like her.

As hopeless romantic as it sounds I mean it. I couldn't ask for more. If the scope doesn't come through its hard to beat a handmade custom knife.

Todd

Very cool. It's the thought and effort she put into the gift that makes it so special. She sounds like a great girl. I bet she pulls through on that scope for Christmas. Let us know.

NRA life member, thanks to Steve. Smiler

Running on empty...

Posts: 250 | Location: God's Country | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To close the deal we are working on our house. That way my wife and I can be together after an 18 month stretch of being apart. It would be nice to have her with me as I go into my last 2 years of active duty before retirement.

Now, if we are talking about hunting, I'd like to see my entire family go on another elk hunt together. Everyone from my 72 year old father to my youngest nephew. We have never managed a trip where everyone went. I don't care if an elk hits the ground of not. The trip would be my ultimate present.

Posts: 2940 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice. | Registered: 26 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oday450
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ravenr:
lets keep it realistic

So Cheryl Burke is out? Seriously though, leaving out peace in the world, etc., a Butch Searcy double rifle in 450 NE would top my list.

"Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult."

Posts: 1313 | Location: The People's Republic of Maryland, USA | Registered: 05 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of matt u
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oday450:
quote:
lets keep it realistic

a Butch Searcy double rifle in 450 NE would top my list.

Me too!! tu2

Posts: 1662 | Location: Winston,Georgia | Registered: 07 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oday450:
quote:
lets keep it realistic

So Cheryl Burke is out?

She would be a fantastic present from my wife. Besides that I would also love to see a Parvo epidemic in the state of Idaho. Ron

Posts: 987 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would also love to see a Parvo epidemic in the state of Idaho. Ron

tu2

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine is selfish, admittedly. I would like to find a landowner in Oklahoma or Texas that has a hog problem that would allow someone (me and my daughter) to come and hunt hogs whenever we can. We are always respectful of landowners and land, but can't afford $100 per hog. Just want a place to hunt hogs and help a landowner.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larrys:
Mine is selfish, admittedly. I would like to find a landowner in Oklahoma or Texas that has a hog problem that would allow someone (me and my daughter) to come and hunt hogs whenever we can. We are always respectful of landowners and land, but can't afford $100 per hog. Just want a place to hunt hogs and help a landowner.

That would be nice, but I doubt you're going to find it. You hear all the time about the ranchers in TX complaining about the hog "epidemic" but when it comes to hunting them they always say XXX amount of dollars per day and XXX amount of dollars per hog.

So, the problem can't be that bad if they are trying to turn it into a profit making situation. I don't advocate them just turning everyone loose on their ranches, but if the issue is that bad I'd think they would be willing to let the things get shot just to get rid of them.

Go the FL or AL. You can hunt hogs year round and most the farmers will let you hunt for free. They just want the things shot, especially in the orange groves in FL.

Posts: 2940 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice. | Registered: 26 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flags:
That would be nice, but I doubt you're going to find it. You hear all the time about the ranchers in TX complaining about the hog "epidemic" but when it comes to hunting them they always say XXX amount of dollars per day and XXX amount of dollars per hog.

So, the problem can't be that bad if they are trying to turn it into a profit making situation. I don't advocate them just turning everyone loose on their ranches, but if the issue is that bad I'd think they would be willing to let the things get shot just to get rid of them.

Trying to turn a profit? Really? Flags, do you have any idea how much damage hogs do? They are not turning a profit, they are not even breaking even. When guys come in and offer them money to shoot hogs they jump at the chance.

We have strangers that want to hunt hogs on the family place and they can pay us, we have enough friends and family that come out and shoot them for nothing. We ALWAYS shoot hogs when we see em

Posts: 2093 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Let's see if I can get this said without making a total ass of myself, please bear with me.

Yes feral hogs create a lot of damage here in Texas. We are not trying to turn a profit with our hog hunts, our basic hunt is one day, for one hog up to 150 pounds, for $50.00. If a hog larger than 150 is killed, than the hunter owes an additional $25.00.

We feed year round, so we have hogs on the property year round. Because of the locations of the various parcels and getting hunters in and out of places, it requires one of us to be tied up making sure hunters are where they are supposed to be, plu makling sure that hunter are back in camp or out of the pastures when they need to bo be. It also means that when one of our hunters calls and states they have a wounded hog running around in the pasture, one of us or some of us have to go out, make contact with the hunters and sort things out.

By the time you throw vehicle costs, fuel and tires and general maintenance, wages to staff, cost of filling and maintaining feeders, $50.00 is not much income.

Charging $50.00 per hog to re-coup some of the expenses seems reasonable, but then I am the one offering the hunts.

In many aspects, it is a no win situation. The hog are here causing a problem. Landowners/Outfitters are wanting to recoup or make a little over their expensenses, is there a real workable answer?

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I wish AR was like it was back in 05 when I first found it

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CMon ted
what other site do you know where you
go from Santa Claus to
Texans charging for hog hunting.....
In 3 posts.

merry christmas ole'man
may good health be your constant companion

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look at the difference in what this country was like in 2005 compared to now.

Signs of the times. My fondest Christmas wish would be not laid up with a screwed up arm, unable to hunt deer or ducks.

The only new firearm I would like from Santa is either a sharps replica or winchester highwall replica in 30-40 Krag or 38-55. Good health for my wife/friends/family, world peace and a returning of America as a respected world power.

However, it is easier to try and explain how people wanting to recoup some of their expenses aren't being real jerk-offs.

Our economy and general frustration with the direction our society is headed has many folks looking at thing differently than they did 5 or 6 years ago.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
An Idaho moose hunt.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I sincerely didn't mean to stir anything up. Just wishing for a place like where I deer hunt. I hunt totally on my own. Haven't bothered the landowner but once in 20 years except to be friendly and check in.

Crazyhorse sounds like a great deal. I may call. Again, wasn't trying to stir, just a wish. I completely understand both positions and sympathize with the landowners.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You did not do anything wrong and I did not take what you or flags or anyone else said personally.

As many times as landowners have been let down by folks, including locals that they have personally known for year, it is hard just to turn people loose.

It would make it a heck of a lot easier if we did have folks we could count on to stay within the parameters set down giving them permission to hunt and fish on the properties. I hope everyone has a Merry Chritmas and a Prosperous and Happy New Year.

One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
All I would like for Christmas is at least one more year to enjoy the outdoors with my friends and family.

Posts: 2093 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
merry christmas ole'man
may good health be your constant companion

Same to you Joe

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal30 1906
posted Hide Post
For me it would be a Dakota Travler custom chambered in 3 calbers.

They would be the....

.300 H@H
.350 G@H
.375 H@H

Yep thats what I want.

Cal30

If it cant be Grown it has to be Mined! Devoted member of Newmont mining company Underground Mine rescue team. Carlin East,Deep Star ,Leeville,Deep Post ,Chukar and now Exodus Where next? Pete Bajo to train newbies on long hole stoping and proper blasting techniques.
Back to Exodus mine again learning teaching and operating autonomous loaders in the underground. Bringing everyday life to most individuals 8' at a time!

Posts: 3074 | Location: Northern Nevada & Northern Idaho | Registered: 09 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drummondlindsey:
All I would like for Christmas is at least one more year to enjoy the outdoors with my friends and family.

+1 on that drum

one of us
posted Hide Post
I do not really know how to say this but here goes. My wish for Christmas is this:
To the family who recently lost a loved one, my greatest heart felt condolences and at the same time the greatest of thank you. I wish for you, all the greatest of gods gifts, joy and happiness,and that your loss, grief and sorrow is not too much to bear.
I thank you on behalf of my wife who is a recipient of your selfless, most honorable act and who has been given a new lease of life. All this made possible through the gift of organ donation.
Thank you ever so much and know this will never be forgotten.
MERRY CHRISTMAS and I hope the New Year brings you many, many blessings.
Thank You.
Derrick Stone
coues

Posts: 337 | Location: flagstaff az | Registered: 16 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NavyVet
posted Hide Post
Organ donation is such a precious gift. I imagine you must feel so elated that your wife has been the recipient of such. I hope she does well with her new organ, and I hope you have many wonderful healthy years together. Merry Christmas.

NRA life member, thanks to Steve. Smiler

Running on empty...

Posts: 250 | Location: God's Country | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote