THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Packing out a elk Naked! Pictures included!

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Packing out a elk Naked! Pictures included!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was up deer hunting, and stopped by a small lake. I was with a friend of mine and my 12 year old Son Jacob. Well I heard a bunch of shooting and then 200 head of elk came running by. Soon we saw a elk down by the lake. The elk was a bull with a broken leg. He went into the lake and swam across and hid in the weeds on the lake. Soon a guy showed up and we took him to the bull. The Bull jumped up at about 15 yards and the guy shoots it. The bull goes back into the lake. He shoots several times more and the bull dies, IN THE LAKE!

Well he gets a 4wheeler and 500 foot of rope. The bull was 90 yards into the lake. He takes the rope and starts to wade out into the lake. He gets about 20 yards out and says he could not do it. So Jacob says "I can to it no Problem"
The guy says if you do I have a 100 dollar bill in the truck with your name on it. So jacob strips faster than a hooker at a motel room. He is a excelent swimmer and I was not worried about the distance. I was worried about the cold and the weeds. Well we tied a loop to go around his wrist if something happened and he headed out. He plowed through the weeds and got to the bull. You should have heard how he was sucking air from the cold water.

He tied the rope to the bull and held on to the rope and we drug him and the bull in.

The guy had never gutted a bull before so we tied the bull to the 4 wheeler and pulled it to the truck. I helped him to gut it and we loaded it in his truck. He was good to his word Jacob got the 100 dollars. It was great that he was able to finish up the wounded bull and retrieve his elk. He was a lucky guy, and Jacob is going to get him self a new leatherman and a couple of other hunting things. I told Jacob I was going to make Tee shirts that say "Bubba's Elk retrival services" with one of these pictures on it. Ron

Posts: 987 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Well your son has balls (maybe they shrunk for that activity) cause I bet that water was cold...

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great Story,bet that water was cold clap

Posts: 3608 | Location: USA | Registered: 08 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Never thought of ground shrinkage and water shrinkage at the same time...

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Great story!

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I am impressed tht he VOLUNTEERED to do this before any mention of money. That was a long way in cold water for someone else's elk.

That says a lot about him and his parents...

Thanks for sharing the story.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of brianbo
posted Hide Post
Great story. Good job by your son. I have in the past field dressed elk for people who, once having shot them, didn't know what to do. I'm always amazed by the blank stare I get when I ask them what they were planning on doing if they killed an elk and no one was around.

Regards,
Brian

Meet "Beauty" - 66 cal., 417 grn patched roundball over 170 grns FFg = ~1950 fps of pure fun!

"Scotch Whisky is made from barley and the morning dew on angel's nipples." - Warren Ellis

NRA Life Member

Posts: 479 | Location: Western Washington State | Registered: 10 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jacob did say after that he would have done it for free because it was the right thing to do. He made a decission on what to do with the money. He got a Leatherman Wave to remember the event. I thought it was a great idea. The leatherman will last almost forever if he takes care of it. He also wanted to take me to lunch. We went to a taco stand and had lunch on him. He is a good man even though he is 12. I am proud of him. Ron

Posts: 987 | Location: Southern Idaho | Registered: 24 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AZ Pete
posted Hide Post
Tremendous display of sportsmanship on your sons part and on yours too.

NRA Patron Life Member

Posts: 310 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Ron, great story, and Jacob truly has the makings of a man... Be Proud!

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess you don't need a lab for duck hunting ! He's all right !! thumb

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thats awesome, good story

Posts: 304 | Location: Prince George BC | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
By the way what's your cell numbr in case i ever hunt elk near a lake in southern Idaho...LoL

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community's ability to reply to your post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence issue.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10136 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A boy to be proud of that's for sure. Reminds me of long ago, long long ago...

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of friarmeier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well your son has balls (maybe they shrunk for that activity) cause I bet that water was cold...

BRAVO!!

What a great story--the thing heros and legends are made of! thumb

You can bet that your son will be telling that to his grandchildren one day...and just try to imagine their admiration for him! clap

friar

Our liberties we prize, and our rights we will maintain.

Posts: 1222 | Location: A place once called heaven | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Way to go Jacob, but I wouldn't expect anything else from a southern Idaho boy.

Posts: 344 | Location: Pocatello, Idaho | Registered: 26 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tarbe
posted Hide Post
This thread deserves a revival.

What a great story. You no doubt are very proud of your boy.

Thanks for sharing,

Tim

0351 USMC

Posts: 1536 | Location: Romance, Missouri | Registered: 04 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Has has the pictures in his wallet he shows them to everyone. With some luck maybe he will get his own elk this year. Ron

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Great story! Very interesting

Sounds to me like the "hunter" wasnt much of one to begin with. Shot the elk in the leg, then took several more shots at it, then couldn't attempt to go more then 20 yards into the water and then not know how to gut it?

I am sure if he was alone out there he probably would have left the elk in the water and kept on hunting. Frowner

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3326 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good story, he has earned his already lets all hope he gets it now.

Posts: 55 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Idaho Ron

Tell Jacob I said WELL DONE.

PS, send me his phone number, I will be hunting black bear in Idaho in a few days and may need his "services" Big Grin.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Makings of a MAN, that's for sure.

Being a member of the "gone swimming" club of deer retrieval, I can fully appreciate the task!

Give him a pat on the back for me, and one for yourself while you're at it, for raising a good one!
Dave

Posts: 156 | Location: Southern MD | Registered: 29 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jacob is, no doubt about it, a Man's Man!
What a great story, and a fine young man.
Kudos!
Walt

Posts: 324 | Location: VIRGINIA | Registered: 27 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations both to you and your son. It seems you both have done things right!

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jacob did a Man's work that day.

Posts: 1903 | Location: Greensburg, Pa. | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I told you that hunting elk was like masterbating, once you pull the trigger you have a real mess on your hands. Smiler

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray that is funny! I will remember that one.
It was a huge lesson for Jacob, to be ready for anything. He is going on his first elk hunt this year. His hunt is in November so i hope he dosen't have to swim. Wink Ron