THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Re: Ibex ... CHEAP! Anyone ever go with these guys?

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Ibex ... CHEAP! Anyone ever go with these guys?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Nobody? Not even the folks who post here from Mongolia? hmmmmmmmmmmm.

Best,

John

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
oddly enough just yesterday i ran across their website for the first time.

i am heading back to mongolia in about 6 weeks, this time thru dennis campbell w/can-asia.

i know nothing about this outfit, their prices are somewhat lower than others i have seen, but like you i hesitate when i see a "cheap deal"

mike

Posts: 201 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
Ibexebi, I love to hear about the details of your hunt and all the little things you have to go through to get your trophies home. I'm planning a Mongolia hunt for 2006, so I'd be very interested to hear about some first hand experience. Please email or PM me when you get back.

As to the cheap ibex hunt, I wouldn't go on it. I'd feel much better using a company like Can-Asia, which is highly recommended and used by the members in my club. I sure would hate to run into problems on a hunt in a remote place like Mongolia.

Sevens

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
sevens,
you stated exactly my concerns. darned poor place to end up having "trouble".
partner & i hunted altai ibex (in mongolia)thru jeff neal(highly recomended) in 99, we did entrance customs in san francisco... since our paperwork was spot on correct we were able to "wear down" the fish & game employee who tried to demand that we use the trophy expaditor (who just happened to be standing right there & would look our paperwork over for a mere $200 cash each).
We are coming back in thu LA this time & i have been lead to understand that LAX is much more knowledgable & workable about trophy importation... we will see.
dwelling on the booking agent scenario for a moment.. we hunted kyrgyzstan in 2002 (again thu jeff) & ended up in a scenario that could have been less than amuzing without a top of the line booking agent & travel agency. We ended up not making our flight from almatay kazakstan to amsterdam due to a KLM snafu regarding one of the rifles "transit visas" & found ourselves standing on a street corner in almatay at 6 in the morning with no more flights out till the next day, visas expiring that day... so on & so forth.
it is not as easy as you think to just pick up a phone & call the USA!!! LOL, we did get thru & i don't think jeff or stacy gibson w/falcon travel either one slept until we hit stateside 2 days later, they really busted a hump for us.
Unfortunately I had to go thru customs at o'hare airport & it was a total nightmare... lost luggage (guncase!!!), USDA person on the take, confiscated trophy, bribes paid on & on.
it is probally quite well known to the hunting community but avoid o'hare with all the gusto possible.
mike

Posts: 201 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote