Find
Notify
Tools

The kids go for their first elk
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted
Pretty much all the big game hunts in New Mexico are by draw only, including youth hunts, which the NM Game and Fish have increased dramatically in recent years. Despite the increase in tags, competition for them is stiff, and my two older kids (10 and 12) were not able to draw a tag. However, Youth Encouragement Hunts for cow elk are available later in the year for youth hunters who applied for big game tags but did not draw. These tags are available over the counter on a first come, first served basis. I was able to purchase a couple cow tags for the kids in one of the hunting units in the Gila National Forest, with a start date of Friday after Thanksgiving.

We spent turkey day on the road and setting up camp in preparation for the opener the next morning. Despite hunting the areas that have been productive for us in the past, we failed to even see an elk for the first two days of the hunt.

After rethinking our strategy, and consulting with other hunters in the area, we opted to start out day three with an early morning drive to do some glassing on the way to an area recommended by some friends. Finally luck was on our side and I spotted a small herd of elk a few miles from camp shortly after legal shooting light. We left the truck in the bar ditch and made a short hike out towards the elk.

The three of us snuggled up next to a small pinon tree and my son Erik got set up on the shooting sticks for his shot. After a miss and a mixup, he dropped a nice cow with his new .308 and hurriedly passed the sticks to my 12-year old daughter Regan, who made her first with the .338 Federal count. The elk didn't drop at the shot, or the follow-up taken as she walked away. We lost sight of her along with rest of the herd, but based on her behavior after the first shot, I was pretty sure we had a dead elk over the hill.

First we checked out Erik's, which while down wasn't out and needed another bullet. Then, after tagging and field dressing, we searched and finally found Regan's cow not far from where we'd last seen her. It was a great morning for me as a dad, that's for sure. Two kids, two first elk. I do love hunting, and am blessed to be able to share it with a family who also enjoys it.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Great job dad! Tell the young shooters way to go!
Nice story and thanks for posting the pictures, give yourself and the kids a pat on the back!

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
That is pretty neat that your little ones ore already putting meat on the table.

I am looking forward to the day that I am abl;e to guide my 6yo daughter to he first kill.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice hunters for life.

Far to many hunting parents fail to encourage their youngsters in hunting.

A great job.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
Now thats a family vacation!
Looks like some happy kids.
Congrats to all.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1220 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jack D Bold
posted Hide Post
Way to go. You gave them a gift that will last a lifetime - a great memory with dad.

"You only gotta do one thing well to make it in this world" - J Joplin

Posts: 1129 | Registered: 10 September 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fantastic ! And Yall can relive the experience every time you enjoy wonderful 'organic' meat.

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
That's Great!

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Texas Killartist:
Fantastic ! And Yall can relive the experience every time you enjoy wonderful 'organic' meat.

Absolutely. I was pretty much left out of the draw this year, so the kids had to pick up the old man's slack. These two elk will fill the freezers with some of the highest quality protein one can find for the next year.

It's a wonderful thing that our positive and successful wildlife management allows for the allocation of excess tags to youngsters to enable them to become the providers, to understand that meat doesn't come wrapped in plastic from the grocery store, and to come face to face with death and understand its place in nature and our lives.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great way to get them started! Good job.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DesertRam

Well done! I can only imagine how proud you are.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scott King
posted Hide Post
Two elk in one morning!

Holy Cow Man, I'm glad you ran out of tags when you did!

Posts: 9497 | Location: Dillingham Alaska | Registered: 10 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
SO COOL! Kids and hunting are the best!

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott King:
Two elk in one morning!

Holy Cow Man, I'm glad you ran out of tags when you did!

You and me both. When the third one starts this in 3-4 years, I'm going to need a clone to help out. My son will be a teenager by then and should be earning more of his keep. He already gives it a go.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's a fantastic hunt. Congrats to all involved.

I picked up one of those tags for my daughter. Her hunt starts the day after Christmas and will be in 16D. We can't wait. It will be our last hunting/fishing trip together before she goes off to college.

Posts: 245 | Location: El Paso, TX | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awesome job Dad, looks like the work was hard but we'll worth it!

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stevie:

I picked up one of those tags for my daughter. Her hunt starts the day after Christmas and will be in 16D. We can't wait. It will be our last hunting/fishing trip together before she goes off to college.

Good luck to you stevie. There's some good elk country in 16D, so hopefully you can put your daughter on a nice fat one.

One of Us
Picture of don444
posted Hide Post
tu2 Well done!

Posts: 551 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tu2 tu2
The best kind of day, Congrats

Posts: 2141 | Location: enjoying my freedom in wyoming | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Great way for kids to get started. Congratulations to you and your kids.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Be proud, you did a great job teaching them both. How far did you have to pack 'em out?
Looks like the boy has a bit of slack in that strap at least he's trying that's what counts.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6028 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Yeah, he's trying. One minute he'd be pulling for all he was worth, then I'd speed up over a rock and give him some slack, then he'd tighten it up, and so on.

The pack out was fairly short, less than 1/3 mile each way probably, but four round trips added up. Soon they'll be big enough and aggressive enough to start pushing into rougher country, then I'm really in trouble. Hopefully by then they'll also be ready to strap on a pack and carry a quarter. Smiler

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DesertRam:
quote:
Originally posted by stevie:

Good luck to you stevie. There's some good elk country in 16D, so hopefully you can put your daughter on a nice fat one.

Oh yeah.

Going scouting next weekend with her younger sister. Never stepped foot in 16D, but I have hunted 15. Got a map and some advice from the local game warden.

Posts: 245 | Location: El Paso, TX | Registered: 19 May 2004Reply With Quote