Find
Notify
Tools

Weatherby Vanguard/Howa rifles
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted
I had a Wby Vanguard several years ago and I liked the accuracy. The only real problem I had with it was the bolt locking mechanism was cheaply made and broke once. This was quite some time ago and I didnt take note of things Ive since learned mostly by hanging around here. Do they compare well with other similar priced rifles?

Posts: 10170 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm resposting this that I wrote, from the medium bore rifle forum.

quote:
I'll go on a limb and recommend a little known brand that has surprised me and exceeded my expectations: Howa. In particular the Model 1500. I bought a 1500 Lightning stainless/synthetic .30-06 NIB for $399. Slapped on a set of Weaver bases to mount a old Weaver K4 on Weaver steel rings that I had lying around. Once the rifle broke in, I was shooting 1.3 to 1.0 MOA groups. The ammo it likes best is $11.00/box Remington Express Core Lokt 150 grain.

I decided to upgrade the accuracy by switching to a Sightron SI 3-9X40 in Burris rings and replaced the flexible plastic stock with a Bell & Carlson fiberglass/kevlar stock with an aluminum bedding block. The rifle now shoots honest .6 to .7 MOA groups at 100 yards from sandbags, with the scope set at 8X.

Also, the B&C stock comes with a 1" thick Pachmayr Deccelerator pad, making recoil a non-issue.

I know some will question that level of accuracy from an stock rifle with a sporter contour barrel, using cheap ammo, but that's what it does.

I the only cheap thing about my Howa was the Butler Creek plastic stock. It is just too flexible, and the bedding leaves a lot to be desired. As you can tell, I fixed that problem. The trigger is a bit on the creepy and heavy side, so I'll wait a few more months until Timney reintroduces their trigger for this rifle. Even so, the accuracy speaks for itself, the way it is right now.

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I traded for one in 300WBY several months ago. It had Weaver mounts on it and I mounted a scope and took it too the range. It shot 1.5" groups with factory Rem Corelokts 180gr. Loaded some ammo with IMR7828 and got .9" groups with (I believe) 80gr. Have done nothing with the rifle except give it to my nephew. The only complaints are the 24" barrel and somewhat creepy trigger. Action is very smooth and I wouldn't hesitate to pick another one up. A much better value than a Remington.

Posts: 284 | Location: Plant City, Fl,USA | Registered: 12 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Howa 1500 Lightning in .338. Love that gun. Took my first elk with it last year and if I do my part that gun will put 3 shots darn near in the same hole at 100 yards (with 200 grain Nosler BT's and 72.2 grains of IMR-4831).

Posts: 36 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 03 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one of the old Vanguards in 7mm rem mag. I love it! It has a walnut stock, and when laid next to a Mk 5, you have to look pretty close to tell the difference. This rifle is extremely accurate and consistent, as long as you feed it hot handloads and heavy (175gr) bullets.

[ 10-02-2002, 21:20: Message edited by: 375hnh ]

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought one of the Vanguards in 300 Wby about 2 yrs ago at Wally World for $300. It had a great target and I thought "What the hell". Well the target must have been out of a machine rest not the stock it was in. I replace the stock witha Brownell's Bell and Carlson and it is a one hole shooter. The trigger is good too.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Fla | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just an update here. I shot my Howa again today to see if the .6" group that I shot last week was a fluke. It was not. The first three-shot group of the day, from a cold barrel, measured .45" center to center. These rifles really respond well to good bedding.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Howa makes Vanguard for Weatherby, they are nearly the same. The plastic stock is terrible, you can rebed it in fiberglass but it does take some inletting, some shims, and is generally a pain in the behind. Good accuracy though. I restocked one in nice walnut and it came out looking great. Nice guns, not unlike a model 700 Remington.

Posts: 345 | Location: Dauphin Island, Alabama, USA | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark Bansner offers his High Tech Specialties synthetic stocks inletted for the Howa action. Talked with him and he once bought a Howa barreled action for his son. He bedded it in his High Tech stock, recrowned the barrel, and shot excellent groups. He was impressed.

Posts: 174 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not only does Howa make the Weatherby Vanguard, I understand they used to make the Mark V when it was produced in Japan. In fact, the Vanguard, Smith & Wesson 1500, Mossberg 1500, and Howa 1500 are all the same exact rifle, except for some minor cosmetic differences in the Weatherby version. Plus the Armalite AR-180 at one point in time. Good rifles.