New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions on a scope for big game.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm currently looking at Leupold, Nikon, Weaver, or possibly a Shepherd for my next scope. I'd like to hear some input regarding brand, power range, reticle, and size of the obj lens in order to help me make a more informed decision. I hunt very diverse terrain(river bottoms to sandhills) but this gun will be primarily for medium to long range hunting. For the close stuff, I'll probably be using a Marlin 1895G in 45-70 with ghost ring sights.

Posts: 1346 | Location: NE | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would not buy an objective larger than 40 or 42mm as they are not necessary and result in a scope that is mounted higher than it should be to get a good cheek bond to the stock.Powers in the 2.5 to 4 for low power and 9 to 12 for high power will be plenty.I find a heavy duplex easiest to use at first and last light.For brand I would consider leupold, the ziess conquest or kahles.If you budget is a little larger the swarovski a-lines are top quality optics.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
If I recall you are interested in a .257 Weatherby so a small scope is not in order for that big rifle. The standard is pretty much a Leupold 3X9. The smaller objectives are just fine.

I do have a Leupold 3.5X10 V-111. It's very good but not much better than an old 3X9 I got used.

All you "need" is a fixed power but for range shooting more power is nice.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think from what you have said a leupold Vari X11 3-9x40 would be the best alround choice.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
From what you describe, I'd go with either a 3-9 or 4-12x40 Nikon Monarch. Nothing under $1000 offers a better combination of light-gathering, edge-to-edge clarity, image resolution/definition and overall sharpness. The 4-12x40 AO in matte ($329 @ bearbasin.com) is my favorite overall scope, but I've had great results with all Nikon Monarchs. The Nikon warranty is the same as Leupold's, but I've never had to use it, despite my hunting in pouring rain and mud and bumping the scopes while stalking through the rocky terrain of the Texas Hill Country. Two of my Nikons spent significant time underwater a few years ago when our home was wiped out by a flood. I simply cleaned them up and am still using them. A Leupold 2xEER gave up the ghost and filled with water, though I must admit Leupold did fix the problem. Just my .02....

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thre are alot of good scopes on the market. Buy the best one you can afford. I have always been partial to leupolds. my personal favorite M3
3.5-10.

Happy Hunting

Posts: 182 | Location: Okotoks, Alberta | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
<Mike Dettorre>
posted
My favorite given the combo of quality, cost, clarity, and mutliple use is leupold 2.5x8 Vari X III.

one of us
posted Hide Post
What do you guys think of Mil-dot and Illuminated reticle scopes?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bobby T: I own/have owned two Nikons. The first was a 4X that lost the reticles under recoil on a 375 H&H. I sent Nikon the scope, and they sent me a completely different scope(one I didn't want the 3x9). The Nikon people simply told me that was a upgrade, even though I didn't want to be upgraded. In 2000, I had to send the 3x9 in because it wouldn't hold zero; at the same time I sent in a 2.5x8 Leupold. I got the Leupold back fixed in about a week. About 3 weeks later I got the Nikon back. Nikon will not warranty your scope if you don't have the original purchase receipt. I still own the Nikon, and it's a good scope, but I'll never buy another as long as Leupold or Burris is in business.

Posts: 1450 | Location: Dakota Territory | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
This will be fun [Big Grin]

I use Swarowski 3-12X50 with reticle 4 on three of my rifles.

For my 9,3X62 I think I will choose a 2,5-10X50 or a 1,5-6X42. I haven't made up my mind yet. I have little understanding for thoose who buys a magnum for medium/long range and sticks on a scope with 7 or 8 as top magnification.
If you can't see, why shoot [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
What kind of rifle are yo planing to put this scope on? Would be nice to know a bit more

Good luck
/ JOHAN

[ 08-20-2002, 02:17: Message edited by: JOHAN ]

<1GEEJAY>
posted
Hey Nebraska,
A lot of the Mil-Dot scopes,are of the Tactical type.They have a short barrel,and are difficult to mount on long action rifles.You have to do the reseach,to make sure you have a long enough barrel on the scope.I see many scopes,being mounted with the rings,pushed onto the bell of the scope.It is very important to have the proper scope,so that you don't run into problems of sighting in,and running out of adjustments.
1geejay
www.shooting-hunting.com [Wink]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm actually looking for 3 scopes. I have a Rem 700 in 30-06, Ruger M77 Mk-II in 280 Rem, and am going to build a 257.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well unlike many big game hunters I like my Leupold 6.5x20 on my .300. I hunt mostly open fields and woodlines but even in the woods have not found 6.5 to be to much power.

Posts: 622 | Location: PA. U.S.A. | Registered: 12 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For a open country rifle a good fixed 6 power works about as well as anything . Leupold , Weaver , and Burris all sell those .

I have been playing with a mil dot scope some this year and kind of like it ....... Sightron sells sveral different models suitable for a hunting rifle .....3x9 , 3x12 , and 4x16 . They are a good quality scope and you can pick them up very reasonable from Midway or Cheaper than Dirt .......

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First, heed Stubblejumper's advice to buy an objective bell no larger than 40mm and mount your scope as low as possible for good stock fit. The 40mm lens will gather all the light you can use in most any circumstance (I'm presuming you're not a moonlight European hunter.)

Next, don't go hog wild on magnification. For big game (deer and up), magnification in excess of about 9x is of no benefit since you can see your target at any shootable range plenty well enough at this magnification. I've tried something like the 4.5-14X on hunting rifles and have always pulled them off and gone back to a 3-9 or 10X. Having a magnification on the low end no higher than 4X is important when you get into the thick or close areas, or where you may get an unexpected "jump shot" in order to give you an adequate field of view and quick sight picture aquisition. I know that you are primarily concerned with longer-range shooting with these particular guns, but close and quick shots sometimes present themselves even on the open prairie, so the versitility of a variable with low-end capability is helpful (many more shots have been missed due to magnification being too high than too low).

And finally, buy whichever brand your prejudices make you happiest with. Leupold probably gives the best service (though rarely needed) and has the best resale (if for some reason you decide you want something else), and offers quality lines ranging in price from very affordabe to snobbishly expensive. The other brands you mention also make serviceable scopes -- just stay away from the "bargain basement" Asian brands in anything other than a fixed power.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I vote with Mike. That is what I use on my .338 and it hasn't failed yet.

Posts: 5338 | Location: Bedford, Pa. USA | Registered: 23 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Use a good quality scope such as Leupold or Burris in the 3x9x44mm range. Big scopes of 50mm and larger tend to be bulky and awkward to me. The plain duplex reticle is fine.

The variable magnification makes them good for all ranges. I hunt with 6x but will use 3x where visibility is limited in brushy places. I've never used 9x for hunting but is great for counting tines, range tests, and sighting in.

Posts: 345 | Location: Dauphin Island, Alabama, USA | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Mil-dot reticle is very useful for estimating range, quick hold over, windage, etc. The only problem I've see with them is they are easily lost under twilight conditions.
The illuminated reticle option is really for night tactical work in bad light. Even for night hunting, a heavier reticle works fine in many scope without it.
I like either a straight 4X, or a straight 6X42 Leupold. The real key with any decent scope is a good, well positioned mount. You need to have the full field of view when you cheek the gun. Even at 25 yds., a 6X gives you four feet. That's plenty if you can point a rifle at all. But, you must not have to hunt for the image if you are in a hurry.
Fixed powers are lighter, easier to position right, have brighter images and are cheaper than variables. E

Posts: 1022 | Location: Placerville,CA,USA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
<NorthernNM>
posted
I know you didn't mention Burris, but it is a quality scope. Take a look at the Signature 2.5-10x44mm, good vision near or far.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have just one opinion on the subject:
Leupold Vari XIII, 1,5-5, German no.4, Matte!!! [Big Grin]

It'll never struck you in your eyebrow. But if it do, it makes a clean cut that is easy for the doctor to sew together again. [Razz]

(I know!!) [Wink]

Posts: 736 | Location: In the deep Norwegian woods. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nebraska: I kind of like the leupold the best. Hard to go wrong with the 3x9 or the 3.5x10. There warranty is one of the best. Tom

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Ol' Sarge>
posted
The best all round scope out there is the Nikon 4x42 Monarch fixed power (since Leopold shortened their fixed power too much). About 200 dollars and WAY better than ANY variable at twice the money. Four power magnification is more than enough for 99.99% of hunting situations. I have several and have no problem hitting at 500 plus yards with them.

It just ain't cool if ya ain't got a big variable! [Roll Eyes]

<JimF>
posted
RE Nikon:

A buddy of mine is a professional photograper and his firm has a long relationship with Nikon. They buy scopes as a "courtesy" direct from Nikon at a ridiculous price.

His take is that the optics are excellent, but the hardware is weak. He uses Nikons on his "play" guns, and Leos on his "hunters"

JimF

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Swarovski 30mm ProHunter 1.5x6x42mm on my .375 and a 1" Swarovski AV 3x10x42mm on my .300 and like them both quite a bit.

Take a look at the relatively new Weaver Grand Slams...they come in a variety of models and have very good optics plus they are quick focusing which I like a lot and except for not being on the market a long time I think they are a very, very (and much lower cost option) alternative to the Leupold Vari-IIIs. I have one of the larger varmint models that will go on my new .223 when it gets here and I've ordered one of the 1.5x5s for my new .450.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
I've currently got my primary hunting rifles set up with Leupold 4-12 (.270 BAR), Nikon 3-9 (30-06 BAR), Seeadler 6x (.308 Ruger 77 RSI). Nikon has just come out with a 6x and I'm thinking of switching at least one of the BAR's to either that or the Leupold 6x. Since I started using the fixed power scope last season I've really become fond of them, lighter, simpler and better optics for the same price as a lesser variable scope.
JeffM
Houston, TX

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I really like the Leupold 4.5x14 VXIII. Have one on my .300 Win Mag and another on my .338 Win Mag. Great for working loads up on the bench and have been excellent in the field as well. The 3.5x10 is a good scope as well. There is a lot of good glass out there but I won't buy anything but Leupold.

Posts: 400 | Location: Murfreesboro,TN,USA | Registered: 16 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
I can't imagine a better HUNTING scope than the Vari X III 2.5-8

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You need to get out more> [Wink]

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote