Find
Notify
Tools

Drive to Newfoundland...
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted
Anybody from PA or surrounding make this trip?

MapQuest says about 45hrs, usually this is on the high-end...curious if anybody has driven this.

Thanks!

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
45 hrs is a bit high, more likely way high.

From upstate NY to the ferry at No. Sidney takes 14 hours, then the six + hr ferry ride, landing at Port au Basque, NFLD 25 or so hours after leaving Lg George area sounds closer.

Add trip time from central PA (where you get "dippy eggs" for breakfast, "filling" for your turkey and where a green pepper is not a pepper but a mango [Eek!] ) .......and you should be on the money.

one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
From CT. to Port au Basque was @ 25 hours.It's a
long drive.I think I'll fly next time.FWIW
Jeff

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
We messed around going up so hours don't count. Can't seem to get past LL. Beans. Coming back, not counting the ferry ride, We were 40 hours from Central NFLD to Southern Illinois. That's to where Wabash reaches the Ohio. That was in 2001. Plan to do it again this year.
Don't use the Portland Maine to Yarmouth ferry. It just slows you down. Enter at Calais Maine and drive to North Sydney.
Rich Elliott

Posts: 2013 | Location: Crossville, IL 62827 USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill C
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for the feedback. Bill

Posts: 3153 | Location: PA | Registered: 02 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill;
We just went To NFLD last year, It took 37 hr. + 6 for the boat. Now some fill in: We stopped at Kitter Trading post ( a must see) for about 45 min. Fox Ridge Outfitters ( T/C Custom shop, A waste of time)
15min. The boarder a CALLIS ME.about 15 min.
We expcted trouble at the as one of our party had a past DUI. But the border gaurd saw it as political, and told us to have a good time.

We are from NE Ohio, and took RT *) across PA.
E-mail me any questions you might have, roads, FOOD especialy THe food ion Ca. Any Questions. [Cool] [Cool]

Posts: 49 | Location: Lisbon, Oh. USA | Registered: 18 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ment to say RT 80 across PA.

Sorry, must be tired

Posts: 49 | Location: Lisbon, Oh. USA | Registered: 18 March 2002Reply With Quote