Find
Notify
Tools

Fur flies in WA state!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,41137,00.html

WASHINGTON � Lawmakers want an investigation into whether government wildlife biologists reported finding lynx fur in two national forests to keep people out of the areas.

The Forest Service and Fish and Wildlife Service are tracking the rare Canadian lynx to determine how many there are and where they live. Data from the four-year survey will be used to determine how best to protect the lynx, which is classified as "threatened."

During the 2000 sampling session, biologists sent the lab doing DNA tests for the project three fur samples they said had come from parts of the Wenatchee and Gifford Pinchot national forests in Washington state. Those areas are normally not home to lynx, which roam mostly along the northern border of the United States, plus Utah and Colorado.

The seven biologists later admitted they planted the samples, saying they did so to test whether the lab could accurately identify the lynx fur.

The cats, 3 feet long and 40 pounds at their largest, have brownish-gray fur, black-tufted ears and prey on snowshoe hares. Efforts to protect lynx habitats are under way in 57 forests in 16 states.

House Resources Committee Chairman James Hansen, R-Utah, and Rep. Scott McInnis, R-Colo., chairman of the House forests subcommittee, called the action "grossly inadequate punishment given the magnitude of this offense."

They said if it is found that the intent was to skew the study, the biologists should be fired. None of them remain in the lynx survey program. Six were reassigned and one retired.

"These offenses minimally amount to professional malfeasance of the highest order," they wrote Tuesday in a letter to Agriculture Secretary Anne Veneman and Interior Secretary Gale Norton, whose agencies administer the program.

Hansen and McInnis want a review of all data collected through the lynx recovery program before any land management decisions are made.

Forest Service chief Dale Bosworth said the fur fiasco is embarrassing, but said it never threatened any habitat with closure to the public.

"If they would've said there were lynx there when there wasn't, all that does is initiate more looking to see if there are lynx there," he said. "It wouldn't have caused a whole bunch of area to become lynx habitat."

Without additional scrutiny on the data collected, no assurances can be made that the "lynx recovery effort is grounded in science, rather than in the fraudulent behavior of unscrupulous field officers," Hansen and McInnis wrote. "Ultimately, the credibility of the lynx survey is now hanging by a thread."

Some proposed changes to protect the lynx include limiting the thinning of forests to improve the habitat for the snowshoe hares and to restrict snowmobiling and some other winter activities in the forest.

The congressmen have also asked the General Accounting Office, the investigative arm of Congress, to look into the matter and will convene hearings on the issue before McInnis' committee early next year.

Fish and Wildlife Service spokesman Chris Tollefson said the agency is confident the lynx count has not been tainted.

"We don't believe that there was an intent to submit these results to skew the results of the survey, but it could have compromised the entire survey and forced us to do it all over again," he said.

Don Amador, western representative for the land-use group, Blue Ribbon Coalition, called the lynx survey another instance of "agencies being less than honest with the American public."

------------------
Howard
Moses Lake WA
hhomes@homesley.com

Posts: 2337 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
<Speedy>
posted
Howard,

Since there were seven of them doing this, doesn't that qualify as being a conspericy??? Shouldn't the RICO statutes apply???

I also noticed that they were "counciled" and "reassigned". Fired, fined and jailed would be more like it. But I'm just a logger, what would I know.

------------------
Pausing to reload,

Rick

Never volunteer. Trust no one. Expect sabotage.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You know nothing. You after all you are an uneducated "peon". Those in power know when the end justifies the means in their concern for the long-term benefits of us little people.

PS yes why aren't they in jail?????

------------------
Howard
Moses Lake WA
hhomes@homesley.com

Posts: 2337 | Location: Moses Lake WA | Registered: 17 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
I am asking my Congresswoman to get interested in this situation, and take action against these people and the supervisors who treated them so easily.

I am asking her to investigate their past projects to see if there was monkey biz there too. These guys didn't just start doing this!

jim dodd

------------------
"if you are to busy to
hunt, you are too busy."

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love the idea of using RICO statutes to prosecute big government abuses. What could be more fitting? Mike.

Posts: 140 | Location: Irmo, SC | Registered: 16 October 2001Reply With Quote
<BillC>
posted
Howard,

Did they work for WA dept. of fish and game? It sounds like something they would pull. It seems like everything they do is questionable. How is Moses Lake these days? I lived there for about a year five years ago or so - worked for the Thrifty Foods store there.

P.S. Rick - I grew up in Burlington (21 years there, know lots of people in the Skagit Valley)

Bill C

<lokey>
posted
Speedy,
How the coyotes looking down there this year? I've shot a bunch around Sumas and low on Black. They sure do look raggedey though,and they seem real skinny. Only a handfull have even had tails. Just wondering if it was a local thing. ~lokey

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill Moses Lake is fine. Not changed a lot in the last five years. More traffic lights though.

------------------
Howard
Moses Lake WA
hhomes@homesley.com

one of us
Picture of 8MM OR MORE
posted Hide Post
I can see it now. "Due to unforseen problems in evaluating game levels, WA has to close all game seasons till accurate accounting can be done, in order to provide proper baseline numbers for bladybladybladyblade" JK, I hope.

------------------
Good Shooting!

Posts: 1944 | Location: Moses Lake, WA | Registered: 06 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Speedy>
posted
lokey

Darn few 'yotes this year so far!

------------------
Pausing to reload,

Rick

Never volunteer. Trust no one. Expect sabotage.

<Dan in Wa>
posted
Howard...
Whats the name of the Mexican restraunt about a block west of the KFC? Great food.
Spend most of my weekends at O'Sullivan in the summer and run up to Moses Lake for a great meal every so often.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It sounds really fishy for a couple of reasons.

1) when exactly did they admit to this? After one of them opened her mouth and blabbed at the local sushi bar and started an investigation?

2) There are accepted and reasonable methods for insuring the validity of sample testing, and they are used all of the time. The lab in question may or may not know if a test is being conducted, and it has no effect on the outcome. In fact, they shouldn't even care.

3) I'm wondering if there aren't scapegoats involved? This might explain the reassignments with little outrage from those reassigned....

Posts: 1646 | Location: Euless, TX | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan it is the Inca. If you are in the area maybe we can meet there. Actually it is right across the street from KFC.

------------------
Howard
Moses Lake WA
hhomes@homesley.com

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
WA DFG speaks:
Statement from Dr. Jeffrey Koenings, Ph.D.

Director, Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife

Regarding the Submittal of False Data for Interagency

Lynx Study

I�m angry and dismayed over the fact that two Washington Department of

Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) biologists were involved in a breach of

proper scientific protocol while involved in a continuing, multi-year

joint lynx study for the U.S. Forest Service. As a biologist myself,

the behavior of these biologists is not only extremely embarrassing,

but unprofessional and cannot be tolerated. While the employees�

actions were isolated, and did not result in any land use

recommendations on the part of the agencies involved in the study,

they have cast a pall not only over the lynx study, but over our

Department as a whole. What they did will undoubtedly cause many to

question the integrity of other important research being conducted by

our Department and other natural resource agencies. And that�s a

shame.

As Director of the Department, I owe the public an apology, and pledge

to work with my three chief scientists and other staff to ensure

protocols are in place to prevent this from happening again. The two

WDFW employees involved have been barred from further research work.

For me, personally, the revelations are especially disheartening. I

spent many years training to become a biologist, and consider this a

slap in the face to myself and other biologists. Our integrity and

professionalism is now being questioned because of the arrogant

actions of a few. But I am confident that this was an isolated

occurrence, and I stand fully behind the integrity of the work

performed by this Department�s outstanding biological and scientific

staff.

Ironically, when I became director of the Department nearly three

years ago, I set about to increase this agency�s emphasis on the

development and implementation of sound science. Under my direction,

for example, chief scientist positions for the Department�s three

resource programs were created. The work these scientists have

subsequently done with the dedicated employees working under them has

not only enhanced the Department�s ability to deliver sound science,

but I believe enhanced our credibility with the public.

That credibility obviously has been damaged by these recent isolated

actions, and now it�s up to me and everybody in this Department to

restore it.

------------------
"if you are to busy to
hunt, you are too busy."

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What a total crock of you know what. He goes on and on about how angry and dismayed he is etc. Yet the two in question still have their comfy government jobs. They just can�t be involved in research anymore. Like I even believe that.

Dr. Jeffrey Koenings if you believe what you just said, why are the two still employees in your department?

------------------
Howard
Moses Lake WA
hhomes@homesley.com

<Dan in Wa>
posted
Thanks Howard, I'll take you up on that sometime in the near future. I'm also a big fan of the Washington Dept. of Wildlife.
The deer population around here has gone way down to the point why buy a tag. Saw quite a few pheasants driving down along the Frenchman hills last summer, more so than years past. Doubt game dept. had anything to do with that. Used to catch alot of walleye in the Columbia River before they started regulating it. Don't get me started on the steehead and salmon fishing. Well it's almost Christmas here and Santa has somew stockings to fill.
Merry Christmas to all who read this and God Bless our serice men and women.
Dan