THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Need alot of help....want to hunt wyoming for pronghorn in th fall 08..do it yourself

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need alot of help....want to hunt wyoming for pronghorn in th fall 08..do it yourself
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted
I have never been to the state but hear it is a good place to hunt pronghorns. I want to do it myself and would love any info on what county or section of the state I need to be in. Please help

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I could be wrong b/c I haven't checked the regs this year, but, isn't the season over?

Your title reads that you want to do it THIS fall. (do you mean fall of 2008)? You may want to check the WY regs but I doubt the season is still open for pronghorns. Let alone, you'd have to find an over the counter tag. WY is a draw state. You'll have to put in for it next spring in hopes of drawing for next fall.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just check back a few pages:quite a few posts about DIY WY hunts.
I had no problem doing my first in September. Between WY's website, sites such as this,and a little digging, you should have NO problem putting something together.
(May take you 2 years with their preference point system, to draw an area with good public access.)

Posts: 156 | Location: Southern MD | Registered: 29 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mustbhuntn
posted Hide Post
I hunt western Wy. every year with my kids. It is very difficult to draw a buck tag but doe tags are easy to get, lots of fun to hunt, and you will learn the area where you hunt them. As DaveP pointed out, you will probably need to accumulate some preference points to get the buck tag. It took 7 years of applying to get my first one and I haven't drawn another buck tag since the turn of the century. By hunting does, I've learned a lot of country and have seen the areas I want to apply for a buck. I am now up to 2 preference points so I should be hunting a buck in the next 2 years. I would pick up a Wyoming Gazetteer (you can order one from Cabela's) which will show you where the public lands are and pick an area west of Rawlins to the Idaho line (except for unit 100 which has lots of doe tags but not many antelope and no big bucks) Good units to do a doe hunt that also have decent sized bucks are units 89 through 93, 98, 64 through 68, 106,107. The very best bucks come out of the red desert area which are units 55, 57, 58, 60, 61 but it will take several preference points to get a tag there. Give Wyoming Game and Fish (307-777-4600)a call and ask them to send you a 2008 regulation booklet. Good luck hunting and take some kids. Smiler

Posts: 322 | Location: Green Forest, Arkansas | Registered: 24 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Can an outfitter up my odds of draw? Is there a better state that offers a good balance of draw vs killing a buck

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
An outfitter can help, as most of them in the eastern part of the state have private ranches to hunt. There is little public land , so most residents don't apply in eastern units because of access. Which then leaves lots of tags for outfitters or even ranchers. A do-it-yourself is not difficult, but you are behind on points since the inception. Do a little research on the WG&F website as to draw odds and tag numbers.

As for a better state of drawing and shooting a buck I doubt the odds are much better than in Wy. New Mexico has some tags that are for private ranches, and I think the ranchers can sell them for what ever the market is. Occasionaly they show up on this site.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote