Find
Notify
Tools

Recovered Accubond
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Ivan
posted
This the the bullet that I recovered from the muledeer that I shot two weeks ago. It was a 140gr .284 fired out of a 280 at about 3000fps. Impact was at about 90 yards. Recovered bullet weight was 99 grains, and final diameter was roughly .560.

The bullet was recovered just under the hide on the oposite side. Note the exit hole.

Posts: 576 | Location: The Green Fields | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Redlander
posted Hide Post
Nice shot - nicer buck. It appears that the bullet performed just as designed.

Posts: 842 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 23 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks just like a partition

Posts: 437 | Location: S.E. Idaho | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
So, I take it you are happy with the bullet and performance and the DEER!!??

one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
Damn! It blew the skin right off that deer! Now, that's a time-saver and a true step forward in bullet performance.

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Taurus Bill
posted Hide Post
Great buck! What was the rifle/load you used?

I do not have a lot of experience with bullet performance so please forgive my ignorance but I can't believe that the bullet stopped in the hide after making such a tremendous exit wound. Is this type of performance typical, and more specifically, of a .280? I do understand that velocity gets squared when calculating energy. I am truly astounded as to the extent of the damage.

Posts: 179 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: 28 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I sincerely hope every AccuBond I ever use fails as miserably as that one did.

Posts: 920 | Location: Mukilteo, WA | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
Quote:

...please forgive my ignorance but I can't believe that the bullet stopped in the hide after making such a tremendous exit wound.

I'm having serious trouble wrapping my brain around that one, too; especially in light of the fact that every basic cup-and-core bullet I have ever used has fully exited on animals that size. Me confoozed.

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Be honest, you�ve used a bazooka

Real hugh exit whole...never seen such before.Guess you easily can put your fist in this wound?!

cheers
konstantin

Posts: 334 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ditto that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 437 | Location: S.E. Idaho | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 35Whelen
posted Hide Post
Ivan that is positively, unparalleled pathetic bullet performance. I'm terribly sorry you've had to endure that sort of trauma. If you'll private message me, I'll send you my street address and you can send the remainder of those miserable little Accubonds to me, COD, for proper disposal in my 280.
35W

Posts: 143 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...please forgive my ignorance but I can't believe that the bullet stopped in the hide after making such a tremendous exit wound.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm having serious trouble wrapping my brain around that one, too; especially in light of the fact that every basic cup-and-core bullet I have ever used has fully exited on animals that size. Me confoozed.

RSY

Sorry, but I too believe something is a bit amiss here. I didn't want to pee on anyones parade earlier when I read this, but I am a bit befuddled that you could have an exit wound that extensive through the meat, and the bullet in question was stopped by the hide on that side?

Posts: 588 | Location: Central Valley | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ivan
posted Hide Post
I forget when I post here, just how smart some of you guys think you are... I posted the pictures so all could see and decide for themselves, I know some of you need your mom to hold your hand and describe things for you in detail... but come on, I think the pictures speak for themselves!

It is what it is, nothing more. I was not to suprised to see a large exit hole and still be able to find the bullet... but apparently unlike you, I've seen the same thing many times before with other bullets, especially cup and core designs... The eleasticity of the skin will stop a bullet. Just the other day, I dug a 250gr partion out from under the skin of a cow elk, the bullet in question was fired from a 340 Roy from about 150 yards...

Maybe you should spend a little more time killing stuff instead of speculating on what "you" think happened with the bullet and then post some results for the rest of us...

Posts: 576 | Location: The Green Fields | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
Ivan,

Were the fragments of rib stuck under the hide too, or were they just all around the big exit hole, but still in the meat?? I would guess that the big hole was hade by the bone fragments. I've had something similar happen with a muley I neck shot. The spine fragments blew a half dollar sized hole in the off side where the bullet exited.

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ivan

I often have folks ask why the bullets seem to have just enough energy to get through the critter and stop at the skin. I guess they sometimes forget that skin (like you mention) is very elastic, far more so than bone and flesh and can catch a bullet quite nicely dissipating a good deal of energy. The bullet you display is mushroomed/blunted nicely and probably presented little in the way of a sharp cutting edge, nothing to cut it's way through the skin and was more easily "caught" by the skin. I've recovered many bullets of varying types from the "off side" hide of critters. When skinning these critters if one pays attention it's apparent how much of the skin was bulged out and tore away from the underlying superficial fascia during the "catch" event.

Posts: 226 | Location: Dorchester County, South Carolina U.S.A. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
Ivan, I didn't mean to put a burr under your saddle. But, by "smart," if you mean someone who weighs and reflects on what they read here, rather than just blindly taking it at face value, then guilty as charged. Gladly guilty, in fact.

I found what you posted counter-intuitive, not false, and stated such. Nothing more, nothing less.

As for your advice to "spend more time killing stuff," you might want to reserve it for someone you actually know. A shot in the dark is a shot wasted.

RSY