Find
Notify
Tools

My 2022 Texas Deer
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted
Shot this old boy last weekend on my leased ranch near San Angelo. The rut was on 100%.

I was sitting on a trail about 150 yards downwind of a corn feeder, watching bucks scent checking for receptive does. I sat on the stand all day as bucks were moving. I must have seen 50 bucks that day. Caught this fellow about 2:30pm.

This is a low fence property BTW.

One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Nice buck Todd!

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1849 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is this one of the bucks you showed to a photo of back in warm weather?

Posts: 12259 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:

No. Those were all in my back yard. This ranch is about 240 miles away from home.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Todd Williams--Would you be a little more specific where the ranch is? I hunt at Silver which is about 50 miles from San Angelo.

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:

No. Those were all in my back yard. This ranch is about 240 miles away from home.

This is an amazing buck. I am sure those at home will soon meet the new landlord.

Posts: 12259 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:
Todd Williams--Would you be a little more specific where the ranch is? I hunt at Silver which is about 50 miles from San Angelo.

End of Susan Creek Rd., south of San Angelo. It's about 10 miles further down the road than The Rocking Chair Ranch if you know where that is. Rocking Chair is high fenced.

One of Us
Picture of Aspen Hill Adventures
posted Hide Post
That looks like a real old buck! Nice unique deer.

~Ann

Posts: 19563 | Location: The LOST Nation | Registered: 27 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice buck!

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3519 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Carries decent mass by the looks. Old boy for sure ( i.e. the buck ! ). Well done.

How many bucks, or deer total, are you allowed for the season ?

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 2090 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice!

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13024 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bud Meadows
posted Hide Post
Well played Todd!

Jesus saves, but Moses invests

Posts: 1388 | Location: Lake Bluff, IL | Registered: 02 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice buck Todd!

Guns and hunting

Posts: 1119 | Registered: 07 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great Free Range Buck!!!

Go Duke!!

Posts: 1298 | Location: Texas | Registered: 25 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a great deer!

Posts: 2628 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
Great buck, congrats Todd!

Posts: 2093 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Outstanding Todd! tu2 Congrats! tu2

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Congrats on a toad 9 pointer Todd... or is that a flyer off the right G2 making him a 10 the hard way?

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bwanamrm:
Congrats on a toad 9 pointer Todd... or is that a flyer off the right G2 making him a 10 the hard way?

10 Russell. He has a "Tuning Fork" on the right side. I passed one that looked just like him, but a couple of years younger, earlier in the season. Has that same "Tuning Fork" but he's a miniature version of the one I shot.

The lease manager shot one at the front of the ranch, the day before mine, that has the same trait. His stand is roughly 7 miles from mine, on the same ranch. That's definitely a trait on our ranch.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice buck! Congratulations.
How many acres is the ranch you hunt on? I read your comment that the lease managers stand was 7 miles from where you shot your buck. How many trophy deer are taken each year off the ranch?
4WD

Posts: 736 | Location: Western USA | Registered: 08 September 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
9,800 acres I believe.

No idea how many bucks are taken each year as this is my first year on the ranch. There are a total of 21 hunters on the lease.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like one of those good So. Texas well managed low fenced wild deer ranches, nice deer.
21 hunters, 21 one trophy deer is my guess plus or minus 6..but depends on management, those numbers can increase or decrease with planting, rainfall etc.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I'm going to guess more like 10 or so taken yearly. Possibly less. Being my first year on the lease, I've not met all the other guys yet, but the ones I have met all seem to be pretty serious about only shooting mature bucks.

Here is a photo of the lease manager's buck taken the day before mine.

one of us
Picture of mt Al
posted Hide Post
Congrats! Nice white tail

Posts: 1073 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Very nice, Todd!

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote