New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recovering from neck surgery
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Couldn't really find the proper place to post this but figure this section would be as good as any. Figure a couple of you old farts had something similar happen to you or someone you knowSmiler
Less than a week ago I had to have C5, C6, and C7 disks in my neck replaced and then a titanium plate was attached to help fuse everything together. Surgery went well and recovery is going even better. Energy is back as I just finished a 2 mile walk earlier today.

My neurosurgeon is not a shooter or hunter so thought I would ask this knowledgeable crowd. Has anyone here had similar surgery and how long did it take before you were back shooting the bigger guns? I've seen a lot of slow motion video of shooters shooting big bore rifles and the way the neck is snapped around has made me paranoid.

On another note, had a bison hunt scheduled with Randy Routier prior to learning about surgery and he agreed we could post pone it until next year. Pretty stand up guy.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never had it done and hope not to have to but when the doctor tells you all is well, I would start off slow and gentle. Your body will pretty much tell you what your limit is. Don't push it too much. Wishes for a speedy recovery. wave

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
Snowwolfe,

Good to hear that you're able to get around the neighborhood! Good thing we didn't plan that trip to the range this afternoon after all. So much for long range forecasting!!

Get well,

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. And I guess I didn't miss much as the weather is pretty shitty!

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
You didn't miss a bloody thing, with the exception of reading this manuscript I've been looking over all day long!!!

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
Couldn't really find the proper place to post this but figure this section would be as good as any. Figure a couple of you old farts had something similar happen to you or someone you knowSmiler
Less than a week ago I had to have C5, C6, and C7 disks in my neck replaced and then a titanium plate was attached to help fuse everything together. Surgery went well and recovery is going even better. Energy is back as I just finished a 2 mile walk earlier today.

My neurosurgeon is not a shooter or hunter so thought I would ask this knowledgeable crowd. Has anyone here had similar surgery and how long did it take before you were back shooting the bigger guns? I've seen a lot of slow motion video of shooters shooting big bore rifles and the way the neck is snapped around has made me paranoid.

On another note, had a bison hunt scheduled with Randy Routier prior to learning about surgery and he agreed we could post pone it until next year. Pretty stand up guy.

Snowwolfe.

I had the exact same surgery back in 2005. I had some complications but was back to going full tilt and shooting big bores after about one year. Take it easy at first and don't push it ,these things take a long time to heal.

I started off shooting reduced loads in my .30-06 and worked up from there. I was hunting hogs with the reduced loads within 8 weeks of surgery. I shoot .470's and .458 Lott's on a regular basis now days with no issues. The only thing in shooting that has become bothersome is shooting prone. I can do it for a short time but after a few shots my strain on my neck due to the limited mobility of the fusion starts give me a neck ache and a headache. Not a big deal and I know my time in the prone position is limited and plan accordingly. Overall I am way better off after the surgery than before.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hope you heal fast from your surgery. Big Grin

Posts: 4372 | Location: NE Wisconsin | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PaulS
posted Hide Post
I had some bones in my neck "clearanced" to provide room for some pinched nerves that caused my right hand and arm to go numb (lost some motor control before surgery) and the nerve that made the right side of my diaphragm work (losing the use of my right lung) two years ago. (after 6 years of near total inactivity following a sever auto accident) I started by shooting very light loads in my 357 and then 22 LR rifle shooting. I am getting better but I can only shoot five rounds through my 06 before My neck and back begin to hurt. MY situation is probably aggravated by the long time of inactivity but take it easy and start slow working up to find your tolerance and then build the muscles back up with exercise and stretching until it doesn't hurt when you shoot or the day after you shoot.

Speer, Sierra, Lyman, Hornady, Hodgdon have reliable reloading data. You won't find it on so and so's web page.

Posts: 639 | Location: SE WA.  | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Surestrike,
Good news for sure! Comforting to know I can look forward to shooting my 450 NE again. After all, there are some giant squirrels and whitetails in Tennessee.
I am already bored out of my skull and walking two miles on the treadmill and its only been 8 days since surgery so feel pretty good. My goal is to be ready for muzzle loading whitetail season in Nov. I'll be one happy camper when I can get back on one of my motorcycles and go for a long ride.
Thanks for the advice.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just saw this post I had C5-C6 done but left C7 alone. Mine was a year maybe little more.
My 460 Wby pounds crap out of me but no side effects.

Posts: 1458 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its been just a little over 4 weeks and I feel fantastic. Hardest thing is to listen to the Doc and not do things he suggested you avoid.
Since leaving Alaska and having the surgery I am on a serious quest to get rid of most of my bigger rifles and go to calibers that recoil a lot less. Am waiting for a Cooper 7mm-08 and a Sako .270 to arrive as we speak. Down to only one ,375 bolt rifle and not sure if it will stay or not.

If any of you have problems with herniated disks and are candidates for this surgery all I can say is to DO IT!

one of us
posted Hide Post
You could look at it from a different perspective. Use the time to go back to square #1. Use a 22 rimfire to start with the basics .Find and correct any bad habits you've picked up .

One of Us
Picture of drummondlindsey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:

If any of you have problems with herniated disks and are candidates for this surgery all I can say is to DO IT!

Its amazing how far this procedure has come in 20 years! I ruptured a disk and had to have surgery at the ripe old age of 22 years old. It was a sports injury that just couldn't be rehabilitated. Everybody told me NOT to have the surgery but I did and it was the best thing I ever did. That being said, it was a lot longer than 4 weeks before I was feeling better

Glad the recovery is going well for you

Posts: 2092 | Location: Windsor, CO | Registered: 06 December 2005Reply With Quote