THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    30-30 levergun 44RM Revolver 454 Casull Revolver for Dangerous Bear Country

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

30-30 levergun 44RM Revolver 454 Casull Revolver for Dangerous Bear Country
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted
30-30 lever gun stuffed full of 170 grn round nose partitions

44 RM 6 shot revolver with full force jacketed 240's

454 Casull 5 shot revolver with full force 300 grn Nosler Partitions

Question:
What is the best gun of these 3 for deadly bears of the 3 choices from above

All are shooting top performing loads

Bring it !!

Choices:
30-30
44 RM
454 Casull

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't consider the Nosler Partition in the .454 to be optimal for bear protection, nor the 240 grain bullet in the .44. JMHO.

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Good job.....this is how we start

Remember.....it's placement

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
None of the above three choices!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Of the 3 the only one I carried was the 44 Mag. I think I had Silvertips in it. And later a heavier solid type that I cant remember. Even later I carried it with the Garrett 44 ammo in it.

While the Silvertips weren't optimal as a bear buster when I shot a number of them I was impressed (then 1980s) with the amount of penetration and the bullet staying together. That was years ago though - just so everybody understands I am not advocating them now.

I sure looked at the 454 a few times and even bought an early 500 S&W. But if I cant handle it with a 44Mag then I am going to need a heavy rifle. One of the Alaskan guides had such a heavy compact rifle in the form of a 460 Weatherby with a short barrel on it. For me the handguns stop at 44 though.

While you "hear" all kinds of things, I have heard that a 45 Auto ACP like a 1911 is quite good and has deterred bear attacks. While not as powerful of course, the multiple hot 45 rounds flying in to the bear apparently distracted him and after swatting around some decided to go in a different direction.

In my early trips to Alaska in the 1980s I think the guns I saw with the local guys there were either 222's, 30-06s, and maybe a few 44 Mags was about it.

I bought my first 44 Mag right after an Alaska trip. I heard something tearing through the brush and I thought this is going to be tough. Of course I was thinking bear. But it was a cow moose. And she looked really mad. Up close and with no gun she looked even bigger and at least as mean as a cape buffalo lol. She must have had a calf close by or I got between her and the calf.

So I say 44Mag if you are carrying it on your body.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I'd pick a 30/30 without exception.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I knew I was going to be attcked by a bear I would want the 30/30...

However carrying a rifle 100% of the time when not hunting is a pain and you will not be able to do it while doing chores, cooking,fishing, etc.

So, for a carrying gun for bear protection, I would pick the 44 Mag with a 300gr or so hard cast lead bullet.

The problem with full power 454 Casull loads is that I would not want to shoot them with one hand from an awkward wrist position.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snellstrom:
I'd pick a 30/30 without exception.

Somehow I just knew that post was coming sooner or later, LOL!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My first thought was if you are on a horse then a 30-30 would be great. But I did not get the impression that you were on horseback.

Just today I almost bought yet another Winchester 30-30 while at the gun shop. While I already have them in both pre64 and later, just thinking of being on a horse with one in the scabbard is just right.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have killed 2 deer with a 30/30 lever action Winchester rifle.

And I have killed several deer, several pigs, 3 coyotes, and a few turkeys with a Heym model 26B O/U, in 30/30. This is one of my most favorite hunting rifles.

I can say that the 30/30 kills game within 150 yards as good as ANY other calibre I have used.

What more can you ask???

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
If you have read "Last of the Brown Bear Men", the subjects of the book having the old advertisement displayed on this very website on the hunts for sale section, you would note that Talifson stated that the largest brown bear either of them ever shot (squaring over 11 feet)was taken with a Winchester 94 in 30-30. Frankly, a 30-30 would not be my choice, however, it has proven to do the job on many occasions.

Posts: 5713 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:
If you have read "Last of the Brown Bear Men", the subjects of the book having the old advertisement displayed on this very website on the hunts for sale section, you would note that Talifson stated that the largest brown bear either of them ever shot (squaring over 11 feet)was taken with a Winchester 94 in 30-30. Frankly, a 30-30 would not be my choice, however, it has proven to do the job on many occasions.

Seems as though that last sentence is precisely what I stated in the other thread that went to hell in a handbasket, LOL!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I voted 30-30 but mainly because I agree with Whitworth. If you were to change the bullet selection in the others, the choice might be different. Hardcast would be a better choice, if it was me.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larrys:
I voted 30-30 but mainly because I agree with Whitworth. If you were to change the bullet selection in the others, the choice might be different. Hardcast would be a better choice, if it was me.

My exact sentiments.

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
The problem with that is you loose the closest apples to apples comparison

For that matter I could go with a stouter bullet in the 30-30

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
How so?

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
With only those three specific choices: the 30-30 with the 170 Partition.

My real choice: probably the same but a closer gap to the second place 44 Mag revolver with 310 grain Hard cast FN at about 1100 FPS. I shoot one of those pretty good with lots of drawing and firing practice over the years.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Whitworth:
How so?

What aspect of my response are you referring to?

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
The problem with that is you loose the closest apples to apples comparison

This part. Not sure what you mean.

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I tried to keep the bullets as close as my load calculator could.

I only had Nosler bullets in the selection to calculate max MV and ME

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
If I knew I was going to be attcked by a bear I would want the 30/30...

However carrying a rifle 100% of the time when not hunting is a pain and you will not be able to do it while doing chores, cooking,fishing, etc.

So, for a carrying gun for bear protection, I would pick the 44 Mag with a 300gr or so hard cast lead bullet.

The problem with full power 454 Casull loads is that I would not want to shoot them with one hand from an awkward wrist position.

My thought exactly!

Doug McMann
www.skinnercreekhunts.com
ph# 250-476-1288
Fax # 250-476-1288
PO Box 27
Tatlayoko Lake, BC
Canada
V0L 1W0
email skinnercreek@telus.net

Posts: 1239 | Location:  | Registered: 21 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I carry a Freedom Arms .454 Casull (7-1/2" barrel), but loaded with Corbon 300+-grain hard-cast ammo.

Posts: 492 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 20 November 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From a slight distance 25 yds or greater the 30 30 has the advantage. Inside that distance a 6 shot .44 mag double action revolver with 4-6 inch barrel and heavy for caliber bullets is your best bet. If you go to the ground with a bear the short barreled double action revolver is more maneuverable and shots can be fired single handedly much quicker with a firmer grip than trying to cock and fire a single action, allowing you to use your opposite arm to fend off or feed the bear. I've killed quite a few deer with cast bullets in my .41 and they break bone, fragment and cause a bunch of damage. When I lived in Alaska I carried my .41 in the back country. Personally I'd opt for a Benelli M4 Tactical with slugs and buckshot. Short, light and nasty.

Posts: 418 | Location: Ridgecrest,Ca | Registered: 02 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seeing how I currently own a 454 and have a few hundred rounds of stout loads through it I would chose it. However, my bullet choice would be the 300gr PUNCH of which I have a nice stash.

My 2nd choice would be my Rem Mod 600 in 350Mag, also stoutly loaded.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I find these discussions to be interesting and I like talking guns.

But in all reality if I was carrying a long gun for bear protection it would not be my 30-30.

But a good decent caliber repeating long gun beats most any handgun for power and shoot ability.

If I do not have a long gun available for what ever reason. Mostly because I am not hunting and carrying one is a pain.

In black bear only country I am satisfied with what ever is on my hip at the time.

When I 'am in grizzly country I prefer one of my magnum double action revolvers with a good penetrating bullet.

Posts: 19602 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As a last ditch thing, I choose the one I'd likely have one me, which would be a handgun. They are not optimal, but more often than not the rifle will not be in your hands when ugly things occur. I would wear it in a chest holster and I'd shoot the Casull with Hardcast anything.

One of Us
Picture of PaulS
posted Hide Post
The 30-30 is the "best" of the cartridges listed but it is far from the "best" big bear hunting cartridge. Personally I would use nothing smaller than the 3006 on big bear and ideally I would want to use a 22mm anti-aircraft gun. Smiler

I am definitely a believer in "bigger is better"

Speer, Sierra, Lyman, Hornady, Hodgdon have reliable reloading data. You won't find it on so and so's web page.

Posts: 639 | Location: SE WA.  | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I chose the .454 because of the three choices thats the only one I own. It would NOT however be loaded with JHP. I like CorBon Penetrators but a heavy hard cast slug would be fine with me also.

Posts: 88 | Location: PNW | Registered: 07 September 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of capoward
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ted,

Your rational is understandable, the issue they're addressing is that handgun hunters wouldn't use your listed bullets for bear hunting or for self protection in bear country. So although you were trying for an apples-to-apples comparison it is actually an apples-to-peaches comparison because you handicapped the revolvers usefulness.

Jim coffee
"Life's hard; it's harder if you're stupid"
John Wayne

Posts: 4954 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
If I was hunting the big bears, I would be carrying either my .300 Weatherby for the inland grizzlies or my .375 RUM for the coastal brownies.

However, I have hunted in Montana grizzly country for the last 40 years, and for many of those years, along with my rifle, I also carried my Ruger SBHK .44 RM loaded with hard cast 240 grain semi wadcutter bullets.

In all of those years, the only encounter that I had with a grizzly was one year two friends and I were hunting together. We had a tent camp at the end of a Forest Service road, and we used my horses to hunt in the wilderness beyond camp

We had two bull elk and a bull moose hanging in our camp.

One night, just before going to bed, I went out of the tent and a grizzly bear woofed and was clicking his teeth at me. I was standing on the edge of the road, and he was on top of the cut bank, about 30 feet from me.

I had my .44 Ruger on my hip, so I held the light on him with one hand and shot a bullet over his head. He didn't even blink, so I shot another bullet into the pine tree next to him.

Again, he just stood there clicking his teeth at me. So I holstered my .44 and picked up an apple size rock, which I threw at and hit him. He then turned and ran off into the darkness.

That bear had a tag in his ear, and when we got back to town, I reported the incident to the FWP and found out that this grizzly had been a problem bear near Cooke City where he was trapped, then he was released in the area where we were hunting near West Yellowstone, MT.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1635 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
They used to release problem bears in Glacier up at Kintla Lake. I went camping there with a girl friend before I knew better. They chased us out of there, I swear it was a grizzly convention ...

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4777 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by capoward:
quote:

Ted,

Your rational is understandable, the issue they're addressing is that handgun hunters wouldn't use your listed bullets for bear hunting or for self protection in bear country. So although you were trying for an apples-to-apples comparison it is actually an apples-to-peaches comparison because you handicapped the revolvers usefulness.

Exactly.

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
Hardcast or not.....the 30-30 gets my vote and is no slouch

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hardcast or not.....the 30-30 gets my vote and is no slouch

It is next to my .500 Linebaugh...... Big Grin

Seriously, though, I don't know if you've done any handgun hunting, Ted, but these things loaded properly kill all out of proportion to what their paper ballistics would suggest. Big, deep holes every time......

However, I am a fan of the .30/30....

Semper Fidelis

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
But I can't shoot them good enough to make big holes. That's why I need a shoulder fired rifle

Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
quote:
But I can't shoot them good enough to make big holes. That's why I need a shoulder fired rifle

Haha! Fair enough, Ted! beer

Semper Fidelis