Notify
Tools

First Deer Celebration
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Stryker225
posted
Hello all,

I am curious, what do you do after you get your first deer? Any special rituals passed down from the family?

Don't flame me for this but, I had a friend who said that you are supposed to drink it's blood or hump it!! [Eek!] I hope he was kidding! [Big Grin]

It'll probably be a LONG time before I can go hunting, but I just wanna know some hunting traditions. [Smile]

Posts: 1282 | Location: here | Registered: 26 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
Cool Guy,

The blood thing is just a joke, but the humping thing is a requirement only West of the Rockies. If you are in the Rockies you just have to slap the buck on the nuts. [Smile]

Posts: 3512 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Longbob:
Cool Guy,

The blood thing is just a joke, but the humping thing is a requirement only West of the Rockies. If you are in the Rockies you just have to slap the buck on the nuts. [Smile]

Don't forget to marinate them in red wine for several hours in the fridge, then saute them in virgin olive oil, then chow down on them. mmmmmm mmmm good! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I know some groups that eat part of the tenderloin raw or fry it up in the field on their first deer. I've never known anyone to get sick from the raw venison, but I'm certain that its quite possibile. There's also the tradition heart sliced thin and fried in butter with onions and flour after the hunt, but it isn't just for the first deer. If you really need a tradition, you could steal one from the rugby players and perform the march of the Zulu warrior.

Posts: 196 | Location: MN, USA | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Stryker225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cool Guy,

[Eek!] [Big Grin] LOL!!! Even if it's a buck?!!

Oh well, ya gotta follow traditions...

Note to self: Hunt for first deer IN Rockies and look for does.... hehehehe end note.

<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Bucktail:
I know some groups that eat part of the tenderloin raw or fry it up in the field on their first deer. I've never known anyone to get sick from the raw venison, but I'm certain that its quite possibile. There's also the tradition heart sliced thin and fried in butter with onions and flour after the hunt, but it isn't just for the first deer. If you really need a tradition, you could steal one from the rugby players and perform the march of the Zulu warrior.

I know of that which you speak. I played rugby for 12 years. We call it the elephant walk back here in the east. [Eek!] [Roll Eyes] [Big Grin]

<Fuzz>
posted
Just after you gut out your deer,slice off chunk of liver and chow down. Old Fur Trader tradition,not mine. Fuzz

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cool, the only REAL tradition you should follow hunting is to kill as quickly and cleanly as possible.

But I have known people to drink a shot of the blood as a sort of goofus ritual.

I once got drunk enough that I was convinced to eat a deer's liver raw. They told me it was "just like chocolate." [Big Grin]

Well, I admit it LOOKS kinda like chocolate but it don't taste like it! And the texture is WIERD raw.

Enjoy your first hunt and be careful. [Smile]

[ 10-15-2002, 08:40: Message edited by: Pecos45 ]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The Cool Guy:
quote:
Cool Guy,

[Eek!] [Big Grin] LOL!!! Even if it's a buck?!!
Oh well, ya gotta follow traditions...

Note to self: Hunt for first deer IN Rockies and look for does.... hehehehe end note.

Cool,,, what do doe's have????? Doe-Nuts [Big Grin]

[ 10-15-2002, 16:51: Message edited by: Nutoy ]

Posts: 268 | Location: God's Country, East Tex. USA | Registered: 08 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As new kids would begin hunting in our circle we "elders" would think of new things to tell what we would make them do when they made their first kill. One of the most disconcerting for the kids would be when we told them they had to pull out their peter and each of us would get to spit on it. THAT got them thinking. But we never had a bona fide initiation.

Posts: 323 | Location: Keithville, La. USA | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
Note to self: Never hunt in Louisiana.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Now I understand all the hunters in hip boots when I'm out West. [Eek!]

We generally initiate someones first by dabbing a bit of blood on their forehead.

Jeff

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
Dang! It looks like the "dance naked around a burning overshoe" tradition has died out [Big Grin]

A shame our culture isn't being handed down.

What's all this about doe-nuts? Hoo-wee! Us old cops LIKE doughnuts, lemme tell ya.

Redial

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Note to self: Never hunt in Louisiana.

Aw, c'mon Longbob! Remember the first rule of hunting camp--whatever happens at camp, STAYS at camp. [Big Grin]

We never carried that threat out, but it got some interesting reactions.

Posts: 323 | Location: Keithville, La. USA | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
<Delta Hunter>
posted
It's a tradition at our camp to take some of the deer's blood and smear it all over the guy's face. It was done to me when I killed my first one and I've seen it done to several others as well.

one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
lmao @ W. Wilson!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Delta Hunter that is exactly what we do at our hunting camp. [Razz]

Posts: 92 | Location: Sulphur, La. | Registered: 26 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Delta Hunter is right, bloodying a new hunter is traditional throughout the South or at least at the clubs I've hunted with in Texas, Louisiana, Alabama and South Carolina.

Posts: 345 | Location: Dauphin Island, Alabama, USA | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
<biff>
posted
I have had the distinct pleasure of being with 2 guys when they killed their first (my first I was alone) and I tried the "you gotta hump it" they gave me a cross eyed look and decided I was joking. I have heard the blood on the face thing and you gotta eat the mountain oysters raw and all that, but my biggest enjoyment was the look when it was laying there and I pull out my knife and say well you got it now you gut it!!!! gabe

<biff>
posted
Cool guy, I almost forgot hunting is a great thing, part of it is making your own traditions and they will find a way of making themselves up. I truely look forward to deer camp every year, we pitch a teepee and camp that week and it is just a blast. It is usually me my uncle and 2 cousins, we sit around the camp fire tell lies and solve the world's problems. I was the only one that got to go last year, and I enjoyed the camping and hunting solo but it just wasn't the same, it really felt kinda empty. A lot of times the success of the hunt has very little to do with the kill. and as soon as you do bring in your deer it is sorta sad because you know the hunting is almost over. If you are with enough people you get to play jump dog for them, and this year I am gonna video if I get mine early on. Another thing we have always done is we hunt monday through wednesday and then butcher wednesday night before thanksgiving on thursday, that is a treat going till 2-3 a.m. Just remember it is all about the stories and the memories that you make!!!!! gabe

one of us
Picture of Stryker225
posted Hide Post
WOW!!! I cant wait!! [Big Grin] Finally, a real use for my well developed ninja skills will come in handy.... [Eek!]

I will now look for does with nuts, and make fun of deer humpin' hunters. [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I place sprig of greenery in the beast's mouth so that it's trip to the netherworld will not be made on an empty stomach.
Elk_Man

Posts: 36 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 03 August 2002Reply With Quote