THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Alaska's regulation on the harvest of bear meat

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alaska's regulation on the harvest of bear meat
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Spring
posted
I was on a guided caribou/black bear hunt in Alaska a few years ago. After shooting my bear I must admit that I was surprised to hear that bear meat was not required to be taken out from the tundra by the hunter, unlike the strict requirements that are on other Alaskan game species (other trophies, by law, must be hiked out) All my life I have always played by the rule that if you shoot something it should be bound for someone's dinner table. I was really surprised to learn that guides and hunters do not have to pack out bear meat. I was told this had something to do with the fact that bears just aren't that good to eat. We skinned my bear and left the rest of him behind.
After reading some other comments on this forum, it seems that there is indeed a mixed opinion on what kind of table fare they provide. Based on your experience, is the regulation that allows hunters to leave a shot bear behind faulty?

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For a lot of the units, the reg has changed. During the period when the bears aren't eating salmon, the meat must be salvaged. I don't particularly care for fall bear, but spring bear is fine eats.

Posts: 262 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JeffP
posted Hide Post
Fall bears in the berry patches makes a great feed.Some
of the best I've eaten.

Posts: 2482 | Location: Alaska....At heart | Registered: 17 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It depends on the GMU and the time of year. Generally (and I mean generally, best look up the exast GMU and time of year) you don't have to salvage the meat after about July or so (when the salmon are running).

Though I've had some excellent bear meat in September from a bear that was eating salmon, and I don't even like the taste of fish!

Posts: 364 | Location: Hawaii | Registered: 30 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
What is the significance of bears and salmon? Does it truly change the bear's flavor enough to change the regulations for a bear's harvest?

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Personally I don't think it changes the taste that much. I've had excellent bear that have been eating salmon, and mediocre spring bear before salmon. So go figure...

I think a great deal of the "dislike" of bear meat is due either the the traditional bias against them as a game animal, or poor field preparation/cooking. I've gotten more people who "don't like game meat" to really enjoy bear than deer.

Also in general hunting of bears really slows down during the summer monthes since the hides are of lower quality. So AKFG might think there are bear being harvested so less bear meat being wasted after June, but thats just me thinking out loud...

Posts: 364 | Location: Hawaii | Registered: 30 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
New Mexico has the same "rule" - that is you're not required to remove the meat of bear and mountain lion from the field. You do have to take the head, skull, or hide to the Game and Fish office to be inspected and tagged. Personally, I would feel obligated to take the meat home and make every attempt to eat it, but that's just me.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote