Find
Notify
Tools

Select One From Column "A"
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
Brother Ron,

I like your invention. I think that we will have to get some of those for our safari. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1407 | Location: Beverly Hills Ca 90210<---finally :) | Registered: 04 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Long Lost Brother Eric,
Thank you! Do you think we could switch the direction of the bullet by pulling them out with our teeth, reseating and crimping with teeth? Could be handy field reloading expedient. In mid charge by elephant you have to be mighty quick. [Big Grin]

The Switch Point bullet, the other kind of SP.

This takes the KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID principle to new heights.

Of course your recognition of this practicality must be a family trait. [Wink]

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am inclined to agree with Ray and go with a .416 Remington and since I've been using Barnes' of late 400gr. X's and XLCs if they make them. I would lean really hard on a .338 Winchester though with 250 gr X's. I'd love to see it(416 Rem.) chambered in Savage's 116SE Safari rifle, but I'd shoot a M700 or M70 if need be, and maybe a Ruger M77 MKII.

Posts: 257 | Location: Long Beach | Registered: 25 June 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
You clever devil, you! Sorry, no switchpoints! If I let you slide on this everybody will be "Jim Dodding" their bullets! [Wink] [Big Grin]

Nice idea though!

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
O.K. there, Dave. .416 Rem with 400 Grain "X" bullets, it is. I will update the Evaluation Thread.

one of us
posted Hide Post
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 1407 | Location: Beverly Hills Ca 90210<---finally :) | Registered: 04 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nick,
You hard hearted fellow, just make mine a 375/404 with 300 grain Barnes X-bullets. I can shoot them point first as softs at long range, or invert them and shoot them base first for use as solids at close range. I will not be able to pull them and re-crimp them with my teeth, in the field however, unless I get two cannelures turned on each bullet.

<memtb>
posted
Nickudu,
I can honestly say that I have used but one rifle/ caliber combination since 1989 and have used the same load since 1991. A semi-custom Win. model 70,Douglas SS match grade barrel with iron sights, McMillan stock, 2.5-8 Leupold on QD bases and rings, chambered in .375 AI. The load; 270 Barnes X's over 96.5 grains of RL19 (very compressed).
Have taken pronghorn,mule deer,elk, big horn sheep, moose,black bear, and assorted small game with this combination. I've yet to hear any game animal suggest that I was "overgunned". Looking forward to trying it out on African game one day!-memtb

<Fish Springs>
posted
What a question

If constrained to current rifles it would be a .357 H&H with a Barnes X.

If used as an excuse to buy a new rifle it would end up a .416 of some kind.

A dark horse would be .458 Win with 400 Grain Barnes--kind of a poor mans .416 Whatever.

posted Hide Post
O.K. Guys, I'll update the Evaluation thread. Feel free to offer your insights there, after perusing the compiled data.

DaggaRon - Good choice ya big kiss-ass! [Wink]

Memtb - Good choice, the "AI" and an impressive record of success.

Fish Springs - I'll incorporate your first combo, as it is the best possible all-round choice. [Wink] [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't remember the last time I saw an elephant in the wilds of the northern Kalifornia woods,so I'll take a 257 Roberts loaded with a Hornady 117 grain RN.

When I start hunting game other than our little blacktails and black bears,I'll start worrying about a bigger gun.For now,the Roberts will take whatever big game I want,with ease and zero recoil.

Posts: 529 | Location: Humboldt County,CA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nickudu,
This is not kiss-ass. It is KISS Principle taken to the extreme by your extreme requirement of only one bullet for anything on the planet.

I am just taking Saeed's method to this artificial requirement by shooting the X-Bullet backwards to serve as the solid.

You may amend my choice to 375 RUM shooting 300 grain X-Bullets forwards and backwards. I actually have two rifles so chambered, that work well, a PF and a CRF. This might remove some of the kiss-ass taint from my choice. [Wink]

Of course if I could have two bullets:

416 Rigby:
350 grain Barnes X at 2700 fps
380 grain GSC FN at 2500 fps

[ 11-17-2002, 04:24: Message edited by: DaggaRon ]

posted Hide Post
Dagga Ron,
As due penance for my smart-ass "kiss-ass" crack, I hereby bestow upon you the right to have the two bullets of choice for your beloved .416 Rigby.
But ... please ... say nothing of this!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nickudu,
Mum's the word. I won't even repeat your ""kiss-ass" crack" pun.

posted Hide Post
You are TOO sharp DaggaRon! [Wink]

one of us
Picture of Gator1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nickudu:
Dagga Ron,
............,I hereby bestow upon you the right to have the two bullets of choice for your beloved .416 Rigby.
But ... please ... say nothing of this!!

Nickudu, is this an admission by you and Ron that the 416 Rigby needs two bullet weights to be considered as a one world rifle?  -

Posts: 2753 | Location: Climbing the Mountains of Liberal BS. | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
[Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Norma 358 mag with the new 275 grn solid from A2

Posts: 675 | Location: anchorage | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nickudu,

I wanna play, I wanna play! 416 Rigby with a 300, no, a 350, no, a 400 oh the hell with it! 416 Remington with 350 grain Swift A-Frame! [Eek!]

best,
bhtr

Posts: 223 | Location: Soldotna, Alaska | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gator1,
Nice gremiln there, but no it does not. This is just my personal choice for two bullets.

The 416 Rigby could do it all with the 400 grain X-Bullet shot forwards as soft at 2650 fps for varmints, and backwards as solid at 2400 fps for elephant braining.

Really, the 400 grain .416 cal. X-Bullet at 2400 fps might come closest to solid performance from a soft of any.

Yeah, that's the ticket, one bullet safari! 416 Rigby and 400 grain X-Bullets at 2400 to 2650 fps as needed.

This is the bestest answer to this peculiar game we play. [Big Grin]

posted Hide Post
O.K Guys, I'll make the additions / changes on the Evaluation Thread. Fine choices, all.