Find
Notify
Tools

Day pack query....
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Greetings,

I have an excellent North Face waist pack and a great Kelty 2 day rig. What I an interested in is a well designed day pack.

Most I have tried seem to short for all day comfort; even if loaded with only 6 or 7 pounds. My height is 6'2".

My goal is something of about 1600 inches. Bladder compatibility would be a plus. Steep climbs are frequent.

Tell me what you are using and why you like it.

Thank you.

~Holmes

Posts: 1171 | Location: Wyoming, USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use both the Bianchi Endurance, and, for really minial days, their Hardcore day packs. Both are designed for hunters. The Endurance has a pocket for a spotting scope, for instance. Both are set up to take their 110 fl. oz. hydration bladders, or Cabela's bladder. I haven't needed anything more than these two for all the hunting I do unless I'm back packing.
The Endurance will carry most of the pack weight on your hips, and is very narrow, no matter how much you load it. The Hardcore is so user friendly you hardly know you have it. Even with a full water load. E

Posts: 1022 | Location: Placerville,CA,USA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Holmes,
I have used a Crooked Horn pack for a couple of years now and do not know what I'd do without it! I have used it to head up country as well as down and it has always been comfortable to wear. I am also 6'2" and this thing works. I probably voided the warranty by bringing off the mountain the ewe Dall Sheep I got this fall! Had all four quarters together and partially inside the bag (knee end down,) had the ribcage, backstraps and neck meat together in one piece strapped to the back. It was like trying to get a Volkswagon Beetle into a bowling ball bag; however, my point is that the things straps handled the weight for the 1 1/2 mile downhill ride to my base camp without a problem! I probably should have started this post with a disclaimer like " don't try this at home, kids!" Anyway, I do recommend that you take a look and try out if one is available in your area.
best,
bhtr
p.s. I really don't have stock in the company [Big Grin]

Posts: 223 | Location: Soldotna, Alaska | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With Quote
<JimF>
posted
You might take a look at the Camelback lineup. Most of those are set up for runners and bikers so they ride very snugly. They have expanded their line into more than just hydration. I don't know how much cargo capacity their daypacks have, but there are lots of models. I'm sure there's one that's over 1000.

You might also look at Kifaru. They have packs with great suspension systems and a game carrying system that could carry that VW. They are expensive but would be a lifetime investment.

JimF

[ 10-30-2002, 19:41: Message edited by: JimF ]