Find
Notify
Tools

Hunting in December in America.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi Guys.

Im playing with the idea to take the family to America in Dec.California for all the family things and attractions.Then hire a bus cum sleeping truck and drive to Las vegas and from there to grand canyon stay there a few days and then drive up to yellowstone stopping everywhere and enjoy the area.

The question is is there any hunting available at that time of year i will probably go down to houston also to go say hi to few family members.

Iknow its not africa hunting but its a african boer wanna hunt in america.

All your input and maybe areas i wanna see will be appreciated.

Regards
Luan

Posts: 261 | Location: Lydenburg | Registered: 19 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In most (Western) states, you'll be limited by what hunting tags you have managed to draw - e.g. deer, elk, etc. Since most (all?) states have pretty much completed their big game drawings for the year, you pretty much have to rely on tags available over the counter. Hog hunting in California will be open to you year round - assuming you purchase the right licences and tags. Texas also has almost unlimited hunting with over the counter tags - for both "exotics", and, if I'm not mistaken, for deer as well? Since you intend to travel to TX anyway, I suggest you look into the options to hunt there. Just remember, TX is a BIG place, so it is probably worthwhile trying to locate hunting close to where you are going anyway.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thank you very much sir.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Texas will be your best bet without having to "draw" tags. You can hunt ducks and geese around Houston in December, lots of them. You do not need tags for the exotics in the Hill Country. A hunting license will come with deer and turkey tags, 5 deer and 3 turkey. You can kill all the hogs and coyotes you want, no tags needed. Most ranches will accomidate the family for a minimal fee if they are not hunting. If there is not too much snow you may be able to do a prarie dog hunt out west.

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
If you are in California you must see the Redwoods and Yosemite before heading to Vegas and Grand Canyon, if you are in Northern California you should see Crater Lake in Oregon too. Between California and Yellowstone a great stop is Mesa Verde in Colorado.
Mike's post covered it well for the hunting, while in California get a guide/ranch hunt for hogs when in Texas hogs and exotics require only a hunting license and there are plenty of game ranches in Texas. Whitetail seasons will be coming to the end of season but may still be open when you are there.
Have a great trip

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Luan - Big Whitetails in eastern Colorado, with a Landowner voucher, is easy to do. December rifle season is Dec. 1 - 14. In 2010 we shot 13 whitetails, 10 of them over 160", 7 of them over 170". You can e-mail me if you want more info.

We have 2 Landowner vouchers available.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are cow elk hunt opportunities in Utah, on private lands, no need to draw a permit as the landowner has vouchers. Cost can be $600-1,500. You must have completed a valid hunter education and there may be other restrictions placed non-res-aliens. As you will be in Utah, that is a valid option.

Texas will provide the most opportunity at antlered animals.

Posts: 788 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
December is THE hunting month in Texas. Most of the western/northwestern states on your itenerary are beyond their prime season by December (and the weather is too cold and there is too much snow on the ground to allow you access to many hunting areas.)

Regardless of where you might wish to hunt, the hunting is going to have to be pre-arranged, either by having drawn a tag or having bought a landowner tag in most western states, or by arranging for a couple of days of lease hunting with a landowner/broker in Texas. There is essentially no public land available for hunting in Texas, so all will be by (paid) permission of the landowner.

If you are traveling to Houston from the Yellowstone area, then your route will transect several excellent Texas areas for whitetails (and turkeys), including the Panhandle, Hill Country, and coastal plains. You may buy your hunting license over-the-counter once you arrive in Texas and it will cost about $250 (and is all-inclusive of all game and bird species). The fee for hunting a private ranch may range from $100 per day with no extra kill fee to as much as some idiot will pay -- several thousand dollars. If you just want a hunting experience and not a trophy, doe hunts are very economical. As Perry mentioned, feral hogs often encountered and are nearly always free when hunting deer, as are coyotes.

If you enjoy bird hunting, then the season is still on in several plains states as well as Texas. Bobwhite quail hunting is also in season, but the current drought is making prospects poor in Texas.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
Most of the western/northwestern states on your itenerary are beyond their prime season by December (and the weather is too cold and there is too much snow on the ground to allow you access to many hunting areas.)

The weather's too cold, and there's too much snow on the ground, who told you that? I assume you've not hunted eastern Colorado in December? HWY 287 from TX to I-25 in Colorado, drives within 20 minutes of our best deer hunting spots, and December 1-14 is an excellent time to kill a big whitetail. Stonecreek, just sayin Cool

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4888 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
quote:
Most of the western/northwestern states on your itenerary are beyond their prime season by December (and the weather is too cold and there is too much snow on the ground to allow you access to many hunting areas.)

The weather's too cold, and there's too much snow on the ground, who told you that? I assume you've not hunted eastern Colorado in December? HWY 287 from TX to I-25 in Colorado, drives within 20 minutes of our best deer hunting spots, and December 1-14 is an excellent time to kill a big whitetail. Stonecreek, just sayin Cool

The first word in the sentence is MOST. MOST of the high country is inaccessible and MOST seasons are already closed in the western/northwestern states. Besides, MOST people, when asked to place Colorado in the "northwest" or the "southwest" choose the "southwest", so even the qualified statement wouldn't directly apply to Colorado.

That said, I'm sure you have some great hunting opportunities in Eastern Colorado in December. I'm also sure that you frequently, but not always, encounter some unpleasant weather at that time of year, inlcuding very cold temperatures and even blowing snow. A dedicated hunter could still have an outstanding hunt under those conditions, but it is only fair to let a prospective hunter know what they might expect.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There's a cow elk hunt in New Mexico on the Vermejo Park Ranch owned by Ted Turner. I did it last year and was successful. I did an antelope hunt with the same outfitter in 2009 and was happy with that one as well. You can PM me if you want details. FWIW, I may do another cow elk hunt with him this year if I can get a few bills squared away.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
quote:

The first word in the sentence is MOST. MOST of the high country is inaccessible and MOST seasons are already closed in the western/northwestern states. Besides, MOST people, when asked to place Colorado in the "northwest" or the "southwest" choose the "southwest", so even the qualified statement wouldn't directly apply to Colorado.

That said, I'm sure you have some great hunting opportunities in Eastern Colorado in December. I'm also sure that you frequently, but not always, encounter some unpleasant weather at that time of year, inlcuding very cold temperatures and even blowing snow. A dedicated hunter could still have an outstanding hunt under those conditions, but it is only fair to let a prospective hunter know what they might expect.

"Most", ok I got it. Smiler, just giving you a hard time.

Fact is though, "RARELY", would one encounter really cold/snowy weather in eastern Colorado, even in December! Average percipitation per year is only 14"-16", and average temps are in the 30's - 50's, that exactly what a perspective hunter might expect. Not to mention, in 2009 & 2010 we took 25 whitetails total. 75% of them scored 160" or better, so a little uncomfortable weather is worth it.

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
75% of them scored 160" or better, so a little uncomfortable weather is worth it.

Agreed!

Paul B: Thanks for mentioning the cow elk hunts in NM. Similarly, I did one several years ago on the Jicarilla reservation in January. NM cow hunts are usually reasonable in price and have a high success rate.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys.

As this is a family vacation or thats what im telling the family look like i need a guide to take them around and i will be hunting.

Luan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Luan,

Do not try to go to Yellowstone in December unless you are interested in snowmobiling. There could be huge amounts of snow. You'll have to hire a guide for a snowmobile trip but it might be a real adventure for your family. The Yellowstone website willgive yo uallthe info you'll need.

Deer hunting in TX could be marginal this year as the drought and fires have decimated some large areas. We are not booking a couple of hunts in TX this year at the operators request. They just don't think they'll be able to provide a good experience. All areas in TX may not be in this situation but make sure you check it out before booking.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 13023 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
Yellowstone in dec will be covered in deep to very deep snow with very limited access for conventional vehicles,,,you could always come on up here and hunt mountain lions (dec 15-apr 15)

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Luan,
Which way are you driving into Houston from?
Makes a big difference where you can hunt what!
What are you interested in hunting?

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unlike others, I am not trying to sell you anything. I would take the family to Yellowstone and do a snowmobile or snowcoach tour. It is the only time of year when it isn't completely overrun with humanity. I would hunt and not in Colorado or Texas. Take a look at a Mountain Lion and Bobcat hunt here in Idaho (I think bobcat opens on dec. 15 or there abouts). I think Nevada has over the counter tags for mountain lion as well. Maybe Wyoming or Utah also. December is prime Cat time. Everyone has killed a deer or 25.

Good luck and enjoy your trip.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SG Olds:
Unlike others, I am not trying to sell you anything. I would take the family to Yellowstone and do a snowmobile or snowcoach tour. It is the only time of year when it isn't completely overrun with humanity. I would hunt and not in Colorado or Texas. Take a look at a Mountain Lion and Bobcat hunt here in Idaho (I think bobcat opens on dec. 15 or there abouts). I think Nevada has over the counter tags for mountain lion as well. Maybe Wyoming or Utah also. December is prime Cat time. Everyone has killed a deer or 25.

SG - Why would you not hunt CO or TX in December?

Mountain Lion is an excellent idea, but that too will cost him alot of money, as an outfitter/houndsman is needed, so someone will be selling him something.

You're right, most of us have killed lots of deer. But Luan is from S.A., how many N.A. whitetail/mule deer do you figure he's shot?

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You're right, most of us have killed lots of deer. But Luan is from S.A., how many N.A. whitetail/mule deer do you figure he's shot?

Excellent point. My assumption is that Luan is looking for a representative North American hunting experience. A deer hunt would fill the bill, as would a mountain lion hunt (assuming you get your jollies from shooting a badly frightened cat from 30 feet away as it stares down on a half dozen barking cur dogs from its final, precarious perch in a spindly pine tree.) But regardless of the type or location of hunting that any one of us might prefer, I'm sure that Luan is pleased to get a range of suggestions and options. I know that I would be if I were headed to S.A.!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe Luan has hunted Colombia, where they have whitetails and hunt them in a truly wild setting.

Stonecreek, are you really offended enough by SG's recommendation that you use such terms as "jollies" in a derogatory manner? Come now, if Luan wants to trudge 1-20 miles through the elements, following dogs chasing a cat, then let him decide. I guess he could stop by TX and sit in a blind, waiting for the corn feeders to go off and shoot a buck coming to the dinner bell. I mean 2 can play the derogatory game. Sad thing is no one should have played it at all.

Luan, the point about Yellowstone is valid. You could go to Jackson Hole and see the elk and buffalo on the refuge, depending on the weather. You would enjoy the National Parks of Southern Utah and Colorado, which fill the void of not visiting Yellowstone. Ahhh, the fun of planning a vacation.

Posts: 788 | Location: Utah, USA | Registered: 14 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are a archery hunter come to South Dakota for mule deer or white tail deer.

Posts: 520 | Location: North West South Dakota | Registered: 26 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cable68
posted Hide Post
If you're interested in bird; especially goose hunting, right around the Houston area is one of the hotbeds of goose hunting. Family friends with a great outfitter.

Caleb

Posts: 1010 | Location: Texan in Muskogee, OK now moved to Wichita, KS | Registered: 28 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RVL

thanks for the info my family havent seen any snow in there life(weird) but thats the nice problem we having living in africa.I dont know which way im driving in im still going to plan that,but i would really like a whitetail.

Eeveryone else thanks for the info i really like all the ideas and hunting stuff im just wondering how a big lad with shorts are going to cope with snow?

Luan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Luan

Thanks for the call yesterday, had a hard time hearing all the details as the airport was really busy.

Texas Whitetail is your best bet in December. There is a real drought (and fires) going on in parts of Texas, so be sure to have your local contacts set up the best area.

Looking forward to seeing you on this side of the ocean!
Mike

Mike

Watch the impact!
Mike

Posts: 29 | Location: Kalifornia | Registered: 11 July 2005Reply With Quote