New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Mtn. Goat to remember
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
In 1969, I was so lucky to draw a Mtn. Goat tag in Washington States Glacier Peak Wilderness area.
I had little time to prepare for the hunt, because I had just returned from military service.
I looked and found a Browning BAR 1 in .270 Winchester. A friend loaded some ammo for me to try. I don't remember the exact load, but it held a Nosler 130gr. (key turned).
To make a long story short; I killed the goat at a range of 350 yards figured from a 7.5 map.
The Bullet performed FLAWLESSLY. An instant kill. The old Nosler did its job better than I had ever could ever have imagined.
The Goat was a nanny, but scored 47 5/8ths.
I write this, not to brag, but to put into perspective the sex of the goat. And the performance of the old Nosler bullet.
I Remember the day. 9/18/69.
Fourty Years ago.

"The lady doth protest too much, methinks"
Hamlet III/ii

Posts: 423 | Location: Eastern Washington State | Registered: 16 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kamo Gari
posted Hide Post
Nice story, and obviously the experience meant a lot to you. Many of my hunts I remember very vividly, although I must confess that my ability to recall dates is poor. Congrats on your 40th and change anniversary! Smiler

Love to see any pics you might have.

Cheers,

KG

P.S. Thanks for your service.

Hunting: I'd kill to participate.

Posts: 2897 | Location: Boston, MA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote