New
Find
Notify
Tools

Won an internet bear hunt
 Login/Join

<Crawfish>
posted
I was notified today that I was the grand prize winner in the Dream Hunt contest at www.where2hunt.com which is a 7 day bear hunt with Indian River Outfitters in Maine. This will be my first bear hunt and my first gun of choice will be the Reeder 14 inch Contender in .41GNR#2.
Anyone know the outfitter? Any information most welcome.

------------------
Handgun Hunter
LOVE THOSE .41s'

[This message has been edited by Crawfish (edited 04-03-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Great is there any cost envolved

Posts: 19421 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Crawfish>
posted
I have in email that says only license and transportation to and from. Haven't had contact with the outfitter as yet. I'm sure this is a busy time for them it being spring bear season.

------------------
Handgun Hunter
LOVE THOSE .41s'

posted Hide Post
There is NO spring bear season in Maine.

Be wary of 'contests' you did not enter.

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Craw,

George S is correct.

Maine does not have a Spring Bear Season - unless this is new for this year.

They use to have a Spring season many moons ago.

Perhaps the hunt is in Canada and your guide is based in Maine?

Canada has a Spring Bear Season. I've been told that you can not keep the meat from a Canadian Spring Bear hunt.

------------------
Speak softly and carry a really big MAGNUM.

Regards,

Mark

Posts: 396 | Location: North East Pennsylvania | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
<Crawfish>
posted
Outfitter hunts north of the border for spring hunts from what I understand. The hunt I won will be between AUG26-SEP21 2002 in Maine.

------------------
Handgun Hunter
LOVE THOSE .41s'

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Now you have to contend with the fact that Canada does not allow you to bring handguns into their country, don't even consider it!

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Sika>
posted
Crawfish, I'd see if you could somehow swap the hunt for one in your state. Or at least get the credit towards it. Don't know about NC, but a Maine bear hunt is between $800-1200. The thing is, the bears are pretty small in most areas, and a 250lber is about what you can expect. In NC, I hear they grow 'em much bigger. Don't know about permits and such, though. For a free hunt, might not be too bad, though, I'd check wwith quite a few references, successful and not, before you drove all the way up there.