New
Find
Notify
Tools

Son kills first black Bear.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Yesterday was the first day of Wisconsin bears season. My son shot a 220 pounder nice bear but not really big.

We started the bear at about 640am the the dog ran it for about a hr. We could hear the dogs and the bear fighting but the brush was so thick even when they were with in 30 yards or so on could not see them.

At about 740am the dogs but the bear up a big white pine tree. We went into the tree one still couldn't see the bear untill we were within 20 yards or so. The bear was only up about 10 feet As we were tieing the dogs up for the shot the bear reached down and took a couple of swipes at me His paws was still 2 or 3 feet above me but she wasn't in a very good mood. A lot of bears just lay on a limb and watch this one was poping its jaws and growling all the time.

The son made a perfect neck shot dropping it out of the tree. He used a Ruger MKII stainless 30-06 with a burris 3x9 shooting 220gr rem sp at 2450. They had no trouble driving through the bear and into the tree.

We were lucky and could get the 4 wheeler right up to the bear so it was a easy out.

Later that after noon we chased a bigger one for hr or so put him up another big white pine but My buddy decide that the mile drag through the swamp and brush would be to much as it was only about half hour before dark. So he shoot did not shoot him he well be her for another day.

All in all a good day of bear hunting.

Posts: 19583 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey p dog shooter, Congratulations to your son, your buddy, you and the dogs. Sounds like a couple of fine hunts.

Nice choice in the Bear Bullet too.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Whelen Nut
posted Hide Post
Hey PDS

Congrats to you and your son on the bear.

BTW--was your buddy carrying my old TC .35Rem?

WN

Fill your boots, man!

Posts: 249 | Location: Northeast WI | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Whelen Nut differant buddy this guy was carring a old ruger 44 carbine.

The other one likes the TC 35.

Posts: 19583 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! thumb

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote