New
Find
Notify
Tools

Idaho Spring Black Bear Hunt
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I know that I have stated that I was going to try and shoot a bear this June with my 375 Blaser R 93 with the Tracker barrel....
But... The game has changed in a major way.
I am now the proud owner of a Freedom Arms 6" 475 Linebaugh. Big Grin
If the situation is right I plan on using the 475 for the bear.
I plan on using either the Buffalo Bore 350 grain HP or the Hornady 400gr XTPHP, depending how they shoot.
Full story in the Handgun Hunting section

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What Unit in Idaho are you hunting??

I've killed a 400 lb. Black bear with my S&W 57 .41 Magnum revolver, 6" bbl. I have no doubt your .475 will do the job, so long as you shoot accurately.

Good luck. L.W.

"A 9mm bullet may expand but a .45 bullet sure ain't gonna shrink."

Posts: 349 | Location: S.W. Idaho | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am not sure of the exact unit Number. I have hunted the last 2 years in Sept in unit 19 or 19 a I think. The outfitter said that we will probably have to hunt in a different unit because of the snow. I do know it will be in the 2 bear area. I am hunting with Elk City adventures. I first learned of them from John the Greek. I have killed one bear both years I have been there.

one of us
posted Hide Post
N E 450 No2: That sounds like fun..I keep looking at a Freedom Arms 454, and one of these days I will buy it. Good luck on your hunt and let us know how your 475 works..

Robert Jobson

Posts: 669 | Location: Alaska, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
450#2,

Man, I wish I was going up there with you! For better or worse, my university engaged in some pretty serious bribery this year to get people to teach summer semester. Maybe next year we'll share a camp! Shoot a big one!

Best,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leanwolff:
... so long as you shoot accurately.

Tony is one of the few people I wouldn't worry too much about in the accuracy arena.

Best,

JohnTheGreek

Posts: 4697 | Location: North Africa and North America | Registered: 05 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NE 450 -
quote:
I am hunting with Elk City adventures.

Yep, I know that Elk City area. I've hunted elk and Black bear up there. Gorgeous country, and good for elk and bear. With a good guide such as you have, you should do well. I wonder if he'll have you down in the Red River Hot Springs area, or up on "the old Montana" road?

That is mighty fine hunting country. Rough, but good.

Good luck. L.W.

"A 9mm bullet may expand but a .45 bullet sure ain't gonna shrink."

Posts: 349 | Location: S.W. Idaho | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Leanwolf,
For the June hunt the Red River Hot Springs area has been mentioned.

one of us
Picture of Mighty Joe
posted Hide Post
Tony; Last Saturday I was sighting in some new Winchester-Partition ammo in my Freedom 454 for this bear hunt, when I had two failures to discharge. Upon inspection, the hammer is binding and not hitting home. I probably only have less than two hundred or so rounds through this gun. And I can guarentee that it has never been dropped.

With only a week to go I am a little disappointed, but spoke with the FA factory this morning and shipped it to them overnight an hour ago. They said they will try to get it fixed and shipped out within a day if they can.

The funny thing is I took it to a nearby UPS store and filled out the paperwork and insurance stuff, when the girl asked me what was in the package, I told her a handgun. From her reaction you would have thought I had a live rattlesnake in the box, she freaked out and refused to even touch the box to hand it back to me. "We can't accept firearms! No, not here! Against our regulations.

I had to drive into the city to the main UPS terminal. Filled out the paperwork again, but this time I put down "precision machined parts", which is actually true. They just happen to be fitted and assembled into a revolver. $ 63 later and it's on it's way.

Went back to the range on Monday and sighted in my 44 mag with the same ammo. I hope to take two bears, one with the 405 Win and the other with a handgun.

This time next week we will be in Elk City. Can't wait. Just hope I have my FA back in time.

Prayer, planning, preperation, perseverence, proper procedure, and positive attitude, positively prevents poor performance.

Posts: 910 | Location: Oakwood, OK, USA | Registered: 11 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mighty Joe,
I hope you get it back in time.
I ordered some stuff from FA last friday and it got here on Sat. I ordered some more stuff today, it is supposed to be here tommorow.
My brother and I head for Wy on Thur.
If it gets back in time bring a few extra shells It would be interesting to shoot it next to a 475 and my brothers 44Mag.
See you in Elk City. We have rooms reserved at the motel across from the only grocery store in town.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
We have rooms reserved at the motel across from the only grocery store in town.

Would that be the Four Seasons or the Westin ? Big Grin Wink Big Grin

Best,

JohnTheGreek

one of us
Picture of Mighty Joe
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
Mighty Joe,
I hope you get it back in time.
I ordered some stuff from FA last friday and it got here on Sat.QUOTE]

Tony; Just spoke with Jeff at Freedom Arms and they are shipping my gun back to me overnight today and I will have it back tomorrow! It turns out that some frame screws shot loose and put the bind on the hammer. It couldn't have been loose much as I couldn't detect it. Just proves how tight the tolerences are with the FA gun. And they are only charging me return freight! 24 hour turn around and no charge, that's service!!

Prayer, planning, preperation, perseverence, proper procedure, and positive attitude, positively prevents poor performance.

Posts: 910 | Location: Oakwood, OK, USA | Registered: 11 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Give me a holler on your way back...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray
10/4 I will give you a call and buy you lunch.
Should be around June 16.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mighty Joe
Good news. We will have to compare recoil. Big Grin

one of us
Picture of Mighty Joe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Good news. We will have to compare recoil

Ray; Without haven looked, how far are you from Elk City? If I tag out early, I can do some exploring. Would love to visit, talk guns and hunts, hunting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mighty Joe,
I am at the other end of the state, just out of Twin Falls, Idaho near the Nevada border....

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mighty Joe
posted Hide Post
Darn, I'm flying out of Missoula, so that would be difficult.

one of us
Picture of Mighty Joe
posted Hide Post
FA 454 arrived as expected on Friday and Saturday I verified the POA. 50 yard held 1" low at 50 yards, dead bullseye at 20 yards, 3" low at 100 yards. FA cleaned the gun beautifully. Go'in on a bear hunt!!!