New
Find
Notify
Tools

.358win, Someone talk me out of this
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
This maybe on the wrong forum but...........
I've been biten buy the I-want-a-new-gun-in-.358win bug. Talk me out of this. Tell me there's a cure, other than a new gun. I don't need it. I have a 6.5x55 that kills deer and Bearclaw is building me a 300H&H. With these two I can hunt anything I want to hunt here or Africa. What will the .358win do that these want? Why is it I keep thinking of buying a Winchester Featherweight Classic and sending it to Bearclaw to be rebarreled with a Lother Walter barrel. Yea thats the ticket and a nice new 2.5-8x36 Leupold. Tell me I don't need this rifle, to take 2 aspirin and I'll be ok in a day or two. Is there a 12 step group for weakness to Win. Featherweights, Leupolds and old obsolete calibers? I've never owned a short action anything. Why the .358win.? In the last three days I've read all I could find on it. I know it'll be some time before I can have one built but I'm thinking of ordering 200 piece's of brass now. I'm a gun nut and I need help.

------------------
Mark
http://communities.msn.com/20012002HuntingSeasoninAlabama/homepage

Posts: 1739 | Location: alabama | Registered: 13 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A 225 or 250 gr bullet in the 2350 to 2500 fps range just well not kill anything just ask the guys buying the lastest and greatest. What you really need is the biggest and baddest. Other than that I can't think of a reason not to have one.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
P dog
Your not helping

one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Mark,

I don't know why you should be different; I *always* have cartridge cases or loaded ammunition around for calibers I just know I am going to have one day.

jim dodd

------------------
"if you are to busy to
hunt, you are too busy."

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know a lot of people think the 35 Whelan is a great round, for just about anything.

What I can't figure out, is if you have the 300 magnum, why not make a bigger step up to a 375, or 416?

Is the 35 you are looking at cheap to feed?
If you can handle the 300 mags recoil, the 375 shouldn't be much of a problem.

Are you planning on selling the 300 mag?

How about blowing the 300 mag out, and using a 35 caliber bullet, with a rebarrel????
Or, go to the 375 bullet, with the 300 Mag case?

You would then have a RUM 375, and, you could use the 35 for just about anything long range. The Rum might take care of
long range stuff, with the Sierra Boat Tail Bullets...

Just ideas...

gs

------------------
I love 45
santilli@singleaction45.com

Posts: 1805 | Location: American Athens, Greece | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a mauser 98 in 358 win that shoots 3/8 inch 3 shot groups. And I have a browning BLR in 358. It is a great caliber for shots up to 300 yards.

For deer, choose a soft bullet like the 180 grain speer FN. For elk, etc., use a 225 partition or 250 Hornday spire point.

I have never recovered a bullet from the 358 because it penetrates.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'll never understand why Americans have to have an 8X scope on a 358, 35 Whelen or 9.3x62 when a 3X is all it can handle on the range spectrum and to put a big scope on a nice light rifle again puzzles me...At least go with a 1.5x5X if you must...

If I were you (since you want me to talk you out of it) I'd do what your doing but I would go with the 35 Whelen or 9.3x62 and really have something. I suspect this is the reason the 358 never made the big time. All those calibers can be made to the same general demisions of a 358, and they can even loaded DOWN to a 358 or even a 38-55 but you cannot load a 358 UP to a 9.3x62, so there you go!!! Thats my best shot, and one I believe to be true and correct, not just trying to change your mind.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Ranger Dave>
posted
The only way to stop the craving is to go out and buy one!!! At least it works for a while... Then it starts all over again!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Socrates, no I'm not planning on selling the 300H&H. RUM? Thats something I'd drink not shoot. Recoil? I've owned a .340wm just more gun than I need to deer hunt in Alabama.

Ray, 9.3x62 I've looked at it and you know I'm a big Mauser fan. Hmmm maybe. But its a little like the .340 more gun than needed it Alabama.

I can never make these smilies work.
[This message has been edited by mark65x55 (edited 02-18-2002).]

[This message has been edited by mark65x55 (edited 02-18-2002).]

one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted Hide Post
Mark...I'm having the same type of problem..Tuesday, I'm going to act on it so I don't drive myself crazy. Give in your needs. Better to have that xtra gun than to regret it later. You don't need a reason! A new toy is all the reason you need.......

Posts: 504 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the way you think

<sure-shot>
posted
Take two aspirin and ck out the 358 Norma Mag if you want a classic cartridge. Or build a 338RUM. If that still don't satisfy your itch go with the 35 Whelen. sure-shot

[This message has been edited by sure-shot (edited 02-18-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark: This isn't a deer round.

It be real, a 223 is a good enough deer round, with max meat.

If you really are into caliber, GET a REAL caliber rifle. Don't stop in the middle.

My sig should read: Get 375

gs

PS: If you are not caliber oriented, why bother?

------------------
I love 45

Posts: 1805 | Location: American Athens, Greece | Registered: 24 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I like the .358. Here is an article I wrote for the Barnes Reloading Manual:

"Many a fine gunwriter has agonized over this cartridge and pondered the mystery of why it failed to gain the degree of acceptance it deserves. I�ll make no attempt here to offer what those esteemed scribes failed to provide and let it suffice to say that I don�t know either.
I do know that this smallish, singularly unimpressive case, is perhaps the most efficient producer of �wallop�, per grain of powder, ever offered in a short action, general purpose hunting round. For me, the .358 has proven to be an impressive killer and, loaded with �X� bullets, it achieves yet another threshold of lethality. Game reaction to well placed shots with this cartridge / bullet combination is noticeably greater than that of smaller caliber�s on this, or the parent case length. This loading is an eminently effective melding of case efficiency, frontal area, and bullet technology. For our wooded and semi-open timber hunting or for wandering the African bushveld, the .358 Winchester makes for a wonderfully trim carrying rifle of great power and surprisingly good ranging ability.
My Browning �BLR� likes 49 Grains of
�IMR�- 4895 with the 200 grain �X� bullets for 2500 fps and 47 grains of the same powder with the 225 grain �X� bullets for 2400 fps.
Should you encounter someone in the field carrying a .358, you might listen up � he�s likely to be a real hunter".

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
<Elliot Viker>
posted
Go with the 358!!! It hits hard in a small package. Warning!!!! After the 358, YOU WILL LONG FOR A 35 WHELEN!! The 35's are that good. For North American (lower 48) animals, a hot loaded 35 Whelen will do about all that you will ask of it. The 358 is just a little behind.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark,

I have a buddy with both a 9.3x62 (Steyr SBS) and a custom Sako short action in .358 Winch. He blooded the 9.3x62 this year, but the .358 remains untested on critters.

That Sako has a synthetic stock and is unusually light and easy to carry. The Teflon metal coating is nice. Am I discouraging you? NO??

There is a .358 out there calling you....I hear your name....

[This message has been edited by BigIron (edited 02-19-2002).]

posted Hide Post
Talk you OUT of buying a rifle? you must be on the wrong forum, hahah..

358 Win is a sweet round, 308 Win necked up to 35 cal bullet, good balance of case/bore diameter, smooth 35 caliber cartridge concept.

35 Whelen is the '06 case necked to 35, gives ya a little more punch, and it's a little longer.

Kinda the same situation with the .308Win vs 30'06, kinda. Depends on what you are looking for in rifle and ballistic demands..

JR

Posts: 20 | Location: RC, SD, USA | Registered: 15 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go 375. I just did.

gs

------------------
I love 45

one of us
posted Hide Post
Socrates
You don't give up

[This message has been edited by mark65x55 (edited 02-19-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark

I had a 358 Win on Short Remington 700 action
for several years, and it is agreat "woods" rifle.

I have never recovered a bullet. Normally I use 250 gr Hornady's either RN or Spire Points. Just depends on if I think I will get a shot over 100 yards or not.

I have found that 23" is the shortest barrel I want. It looses too much velocity below that.

So Mark, get with the rest of us, GET ONE.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mark- I'm afraid I can't talk you out of it. My 358 BLR is the best under 300 yard deer gun there is. In the bush it's a dream to handle. The only other option I've been considering is building one on the intermediate Mauser action. I think these two would be just right for each other. So I'm afraid you're just going to have to bite the bullet and DO IT. Take care. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm with Ray Atkinson. You already use a 6.5 stay metric and get a 9.3X62 to match.

Posts: 562 | Location: Northern Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
You gotta be kidding!

Coming here to be talked out of buying a rifle is like going to a bar for support to stop drinking...

jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Mark. You need it! You need it! Seriously though about 20 years I built a 358 win on a Yugo(intermediate length)98 action with a claro walnut classic stock that I slimed down quite a bit to almost a European style & a 20" Douglas barrel. That was one sweet gun to carry around & very accurate. I made the mistake of taking it to the Houston gun show as trading material with the idea that if I traded it off I would just build myself another one. Well I havn't gotten around to building another one yet . Damn gun shows!

------------------
NRA Life member

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brad
posted Hide Post
I had one of Ruger's limited-run 358's (19" bbl). I mounted a 2.5x Leupold on top... it was one of a small handful of the most accurate factory rifles I've ever owned (so I sold it!). I see NO need for a barrel longer than 20" with this round. Case volume and bore size dictate it's an ideal carbine round, and for crying out loud, it's a "woods" round with limited range, not a "prarie shooter." If your plans are to use it just for deer and black bear back east, I can't imagine a finer rig. If you throw elk in the mix, I'd bypass it and get a 35 Whelen... it's really a better, more flexible cartridge cartridge.

Brad Amundson

one of us
posted Hide Post
Brad,

I have one of those Rugers in 358 Win. with the short carbine barrel. I have to say it is the most accurate factory gun I have ever owned. Awhile back I was on a 35 caliber kick. I ended up with a 35 Whelen, 350 Rem. Mag., this 358 Win. and a 35 Rem. Well they are all gone now except the 358. My favorite load puts 5 200gr. Hornadys into 1 inch at 100 yards consistently.

Posts: 530 | Location: Kulpmont, PA | Registered: 31 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have two Ruger 77's in .358 Win. with the 22 inch barrel. One is very accurate and the other I just got and haven't shot yet.
Like many others, I can't figure out why the .35 Remington is the only really popular 35 caliber going and the rest are ignored or put down by the "egg-spurts" in the gun rags.
Speaking od gun rag, Craig Boddington has a short article on the .358 Win. in the newest RIFLESHOOTER Magazine. Not a bad writeup, although he said the Winchester Model 100 autoloader was chambered in the .358. As far as I know, it never was chambered in that round, but I could be wrong. (What? Me wrong?)
I have a medium length Mauser action laying around, and I just might make it into another .358. Maybe a 19 or 20 inch Mannilicher style. With the wide expansion ration of the .358, muzzle velocity shouldn't be compromised that much. Now if I can just win the lottery.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HunterJim:
I *always* have cartridge cases or loaded ammunition around for calibers I just know I am going to have one day.

YA-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A-A

Posts: 36231 | Location: Laughing so hard I can barely type.  | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
I like the .358 Win. for taking difficult woods shots. With the right bullet it is very effective even with marginal hits.

About 1973 I shot at a buck in Western Pennsylvania from offhand at about 200 yards with the .358 Win and the 200 gr Silvertip. The shot was taken standing as there was a hill in front of me and I could just about see the deer over the hill. The bullet hit the buck in the brisket and put it down. To this day I have no idea how a almost grazing hit like that could keep a animal down. And unlike some others every shot I fire is not perfect.

A .358 should be built light and short. That's it's advantage.

Mine are accurate enough but nothing like I read here.

Do what 500 gr. said on the bullets.

one of us
Picture of Seamus O'Grady
posted Hide Post
To Mark65x55:
Your 6.5x55 will do just fine on deer and black bear to 200 or 300 yards. Also, your .300 H&H will handle anything up from elk in North America. The good thing about a .358 is that it is a short action, which means it is more inherently accurate than long actions because of it's short, fat case and can be built into a light, handy, and short package. However, it has no shock factor because of it's low velocity, which could mean the difference between a second shot and a dead animal or a long tracking job.

Posts: 567 | Location: Washington | Registered: 21 February 2002Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
Seamus,

With all due respect you have it wrong.

<3000fps>
posted
I'd really love to try and talk you out of it, but I just can't do it. You say your 6.5 can cut it for black bear, you've obviously never had the golden opportunity with a .358. A local hunter with no less than 7 blackie rugs retired his old .358 Featherweight two years ago and built a custom Model 7 with 21.5" barrel and synthetic stock, 1.5-5x Leupold in .358. He's already taken another black and a nice elk with it. It puts 3 225gr. Partitions in under 3/4" all day long, weights next to nothing, kicks like a .308, and will hammer anything he points it at. Everything he's shot with the .358 so far, including 4 deer and a moose with the aforementioned Featherweight, have all been one shot on-the-spot kills. He uses a .270 primary for deer and cariboo, but never goes into the thick without the .358.