THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Another theoretical deer caliber thread,feel free to chim in.

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another theoretical deer caliber thread,feel free to chim in.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Ok, her is the deal. I do my deer hunting in very close. So I want a caliber that will work well with a short barrel,22inches, and a short action, and will hopefully be at the bottom of it's power curve on deer. I would like an impact velocity some where in the area of 2200 fps,as much caliber as possible without kicking the crap out of me, with as much extra available power as possible. So in theory7 I can use the same compact rifle for hunting deer in close, but if need be, I can jack up the velocity and power.
I looked at the .375 calibers, but I think those bullets are so heavy that they will definitely kick at 2200 fps. Maybe I am wrong about that.
I had been looking at the 35 whelen. A 180 gr bullet at 2200 fps would be very mild. No where to go but up in velocity and bullet weight. But I handled one today and it was very heavy. Not good at all for stalking.
I may look at a rem 673 in 350 rem mag, but they are kind of expensive, and I have not heard good things about them as far as accuracy goes.
If I have missed the obvious please let me know.
Thanks.

Sand Creek November 29 1864

Posts: 1511 | Location: cul va | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
338 Federal would fit the bill. So would a 308 Win though.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
frank4570,

Since your nick has 45-70 in it, why not just that? Or do like I do and use a 458 Winchester. You would not believe how effectively it kills and how little tissue is damaged. Recoil is what you make of it and I have yet to ever feel it when there is meat on the line.

Joe

"I can't be over gunned because the animal can't be over dead"-Elmer Keith

Posts: 551 | Location: Northwestern Wisconsin | Registered: 09 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Surely it has to be a 308.

Loaded at 2,200fps you can use 30-30 bullets to get positive expansion - something like a 130,150 or a 170gr round or flat nose.

They key is that these bullets are designed to expand at these velocities. You could do the same with pistol bullets and a 35 but rifle choice as you have found is much more limited.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ruger model 77 in 358 Winchester.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
obvious choice missed is the 35 remington. 200 grain bullet at 2000fps out of a 20 inch marlin carbine.

Posts: 5717 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Are you going to be reloading/handloading for this rifle?

If so, then you might want to consider something a little off the wall, but from my shooting with it a very pleasurable gun and caliber, the 38-55.

Factory loaded rounds are terribly anemic for this cartridge, but handloads can be safely kicked up to some respectable velocities, and with the 250 gr. or larger bullets that can be loaded in this cartridge, you are looking at a more than adequate deer/black bear/feral hog gun out to 150 yards. JMO.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
seems as though you are talking about the 358 win

Posts: 291 | Location: wisconsin  | Registered: 20 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My first thoughts were a 338 Federal then a 358 Win.

A 308 would be third, but I get the feeling that you want more diameter.

A 160-200gr, 338 caliber bullet at 2200 fps would be great. There is also some flexibility in there with increased velocities if needed.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well my two cents is I would pick the .308 and I am not really a 308 fan. I have killed a few deer with it in a Model 600 Remington and I can see the utility. I do have a 35 Remington and I must say that nugman said all there is that needs to be said about it. I have shot a truck load of deer, black bear and hogs with mine and can say that it kills all out of proportion to its size and paper ballistics. I have never owned a 358 Winchester but it has to be a real killer if the 35 Remington kills like it does. I guess the 308 would be more versatile but one of the 35s would be perfect for what you want.

Posts: 1332 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok, now. 358 or 350 mag?

Sand Creek November 29 1864

Posts: 1511 | Location: cul va | Registered: 25 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
300 sav a tryed and proven deer killer. 165gr at about 2400 not much kick kills deer well.

Posts: 19615 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if lever actions are on the table, i think a 375 Winchester in a Win 94 Big Bore would suit you well. you can find them online for 300-400 all day long. I have seen factory ammo on shelves in many places, if you dont roll you own. the 45-70 is a good choice too, but recoil might be more then you want, again, unless you reload. In a bolt action, the 35 Rem and 358 Win sound like great choices as well. There is also the various 308 based rounds, or the x57's like the original 8x57, or the 9/9.5x57 to be a little off the beaten path. If you wanna play around with a wildcat, neck a 450 Marlin down to .40 cal to make a 400 Marlin and use pistol bullets. Sinlge shots....405 Winchester maybe?

If you think every possible niche has been filled already, thank a wildcatter!

Posts: 2287 | Location: CO | Registered: 14 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frank4570:
Ok, now. 358 or 350 mag?

My choice would be the .358 Win. At times, brass for either round gets quite scarce especially as Winchester only makes .358 brass on a limited run basis and one never knows for sure if .350 Rem. brass will be available tomorrow. That's the bad news.
The good news is .358 Win. brass can be made by running .308 Win. brass through a full lenght .358 Win. sizing die and you have your brass almost ready to load. I said almost because I think you'll probably have to trim the necks slightly to insure they're square. To make .350 Rem. mag. brass would entail a lot more work. You'd have to resize some type of magnum brass, cut off the neck to proper length and either inside or outside ream the necks because the brass would be too thick in the neck.
As far as rifles go in .358, I think Ruger still makes one and Browning makes one in the BLR if you like lever actions.
FWIW, I have two tang safety Ruger 77s, a Mauser rebarreled to .358 Win., a Browning BLR and Savage 99, both in .358 Win. The browning is the lightest rifle in the bunch, the mauser nest then the Rugers and the heaviest seems to be the Savage although very close to the Rugers.
I also have three rifles in .35 Whelen and probably the lightest one in a factory gun would be the Remington Classic. My custom mauser is a tad heavier and the Ruger 77 RS is the heaviest of the three.
yes, I like the .35s.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A Remington model seven with a light 20 inch barrel in 358 Winchester is perfect. Fly a 200 grain Remington round nosed corelokt at 2450 fps into a deer and he will become barbecue. I push the same bullet a bit faster in my Whelen for hog hunting. My rifle for what you want is a light bolt rifle in 308. 170 grain RNCL's pushed to the majic 2450 fps.

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
7x57 with 175 grain round nose bullets or a 6.5x55 with 160 grain round nose bullets. if you are a handloader, pick up a krag and load up some 220 grainers. these are all long actions, but they are great, along with the 8x57 with a 200 grain speer or nosler partition. not much recoil with any of the above. with a short action, you could go with the 7-08, 260 or 300 savage.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Strut10
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MileHighShooter:
if lever actions are on the table, i think a 375 Winchester in a Win 94 Big Bore would suit you well. you can find them online for 300-400 all day long.

.375 Winnie was my thought as well.

But, dude...............where are you finding them for $300-$400???????? $500-$600 seems to be the entry-level price of admission.

Founder....the OTPG

Posts: 764 | Location: slightly off | Registered: 22 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No one has said anything about a 444 Marlin. I've had a couple of them and they are some real thumpers. I loaded 200gr Hornady JHP's in mine. They will roll a deer.

Texas Verminator
Verminator Predator Calls Pro Staff

Posts: 261 | Location: Big Spring, Texas | Registered: 16 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The perfect rifle for your application is the 325 wsm thumb

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a .375 Ruger for a bear hunt in a few years. In the meantime, I'm hunting whitetails with light (230 grain) bullets and moderate velocity. Recoil is a little more than a 30-06 on the bench but not too bad.

Posts: 345 | Location: Dauphin Island, Alabama, USA | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm amazed that no one has mentioned the plain ol' thutty-thutty, mod. 94 with 170 gr. bullets. It's just what the doctor, or in this case, frank4570 ordered. Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take your favorite handling short action rifle and put a 358 win barrel between 20 and 22 inches on it . 308 win brass is cheap and plentiful and once thru a 358 size die and you brass ready to load. load 200 to 225 gr bullets of your choice and you have ample power to stop deer ,black bears ,elk and moose out past 200yds without loosening every filling in your mouth. If you do this the only question you will be asking yourself is "Why the hell didn't I do this years ago ! "

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Whitworth
posted Hide Post
.338 Federal would do nicely, but why not a .45-70?

"Ignorance you can correct, you can't fix stupid." JWP

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming.

Semper Fidelis

"Building Carpal Tunnel one round at a time"

Posts: 13440 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote