Find
Notify
Tools

Sika deer
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted
I shot a Sika doe this weekend (my first Sika, and first kill with this rifle)....and I was curious to see how good the meat was. I must say, I am impressed! It tastes very similar to Elk (from what I remember at least, it's been several years since I've had Elk). I prepared some tenderloin medium-rare for dinner yesterday, and it was incredibly good (I thought about licking the plate clean afterward). Rest assured, anytime I am offered the chance to kill more of these delicious critters, I will take it.

Before....

After....

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3110 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had sika in Japan several times last fall. I loved it! We had burgers that were excellent and the steak was fantastic. Just as good as elk. The fat was even good to eat if you don't mind a bit of it on your steak.

Peter Andersen
Peak Wildlife Adventures
1-306-485-8429
peakwildlifeadventures@hotmail.com
www.peakwildlifeadventures.com

Posts: 295 | Location: Sk, Canada | Registered: 06 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Josh K.
posted Hide Post
Looks great! What are specs on the rifle?

Josh

Posts: 362 | Location: St.Louis Mo | Registered: 15 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Josh K.:
Looks great! What are specs on the rifle?

Josh

Rifle is a Remington 700 Sendero SF II chambered in .300 Win Mag topped with a Leupold VX-R 4-12x50mm scope. I've also had the bolt spiral fluted and an aftermarket bolt knob installed by Kampfeld Custom in Michigan. The stock has a textured epoxy paint job by MG Arms in Houston.

I was shooting 180 gr. Barnes TTSX ammo and could not be happier with the performance. This was my first kill with the TTSX ammo and I was impressed with the amount of damage, considering this was a relatively small animal (roughly 120 lbs) and I did not hit any bone. The exit wound was about 1.5" in diameter (evidence that the bullet was able to get ample expansion), and there was lots of blood and lung material on the ground where she was shot. She ran about 40 yards, and there was a great blood trail the entire way. I'm looking forward to trying them on some larger game soon...

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3110 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the Sika hunt. We have Sika deer here in Maryland. They live in the marshes and needle grass and are not only a challenging quarry but one of the best tasting eating animals you will ever kill.

The danger of civilization, of course, is that you will piss away your life on nonsense

Posts: 782 | Location: Baltimore, MD | Registered: 22 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Thunder Head
posted Hide Post
I find myself suddenly craving some meat.

Congrats, looks mighty tasty

I have walked in the foot prints of the elephant, listened to lion roar and met the buffalo on his turf. I shall never be the same.

Posts: 813 | Location: In the shadow of Currahee | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Very nice! That meat pic makes me want to eat my computer! LOL!