New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Scope Cover Options
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Of course the bottom tab gets hit by the bolt on most rifles so we cut that off. While I don't have the same rifle if it's not hitting too bad you can cut some of the cover away and get it to clear.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got a Remington 700 in 308 Win with a Weaver 4.75x scope in Weaver bases and rings...medium ring height. The scope fits perfecty and I really like the way it looks and feels. Well, when I put scope covers on the bolt hits the rear cover and won't open. I think the scope covers are called Snow Blizzard...they are the flip up with a clear plastic lens. Any other good options that might work? The Weaver high rings are too high for my taste. I could switch mounts, but I'd like to use the Weavers since they are the lightest and would allow me to take a backup along. After 12 years I drew a Chugach Mountain sheep tag and I want to go as light as possible, but I want to have some sort of scope cover too. The rear eye piece is the same diameter of a Leupold 2x7. Thanks

Posts: 178 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 07 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cross section an inner tube to make it look like a giant rubber band. Use that, bring one backup and in a pinch pieces of the rubber can be used as a fire starter.

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gsp
posted Hide Post
I wish someone would come out with scope covers that resemble the Burris covers.

one of us
Picture of C1PNR
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I wish someone would come out with scope covers that resemble the Burris covers.

Uncle Mikes made them several years ago. Still have a set for the Leupold on the '06.

Tried to buy more and found out they no longer made them, I think they sold the rights to Burris.

Posts: 312 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 02 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

"I wish someone would come out with scope covers that resemble the Burris
covers."

These scope covers were sold from the 1970's through sometime in the mid/late 90's, first under the name "Storm Queen" and later bought out and sold by Uncle Mikes of Oregon. I did not know they stopped selling them until just recently. I have 9 sets of them. Luckily, I found a local gunsmith who has large supply of the individual covers and bands. This weekend I am going back and buy as many sets as he will allow me. By the way--I detest those Yuppie flip up thingies covers. I have seen clients with these covers that have frozen shut, broke while riding in the horse scabbard, snagged by brush, and besides--they're ugly.

Casey

Posts: 112 | Location: Western Slope of Colorado | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of gsp
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I detest those Yuppie flip up thingies covers

I agree, I have one of the old storm queen's.

CaseyC, If he has any to fit Leupold 3-9x 40mm and the 2-7x 36mm , I would like to buy a couple.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree about the flip-up covers. Great for a target or varmint rifle, no good for hunting big game IMHO - too noisy.

I have used the cheapest scope covers I could find for quite a few years now: Butler Creek's Bikini covers. Work a charm, silent, cheap enough that if I loose a set, no sweat. I normally carry a spare set of covers if I loose one. Of late, my friend in the US came up with this idea of fixing the cover to the scope with a pair of cable ties. At first I thought that was a horrible idea, surely the scope cover would interfere with operating the rifle when it dangled there. Not so in the end, it worked great, and now I don't even have to worry about loosing the cover. Perhaps marginally slower to remove cover. Make sure you position cover with tab facing downwards on rear cover, makes it a lot quicker to remove. Works for me.

The other cover type I have liked is the neoprene type that fits over the entire scope - again fixed with cable ties. Protects scope very well. Perhaps a tad slower to remove than the Bikini cover, but protects scope a bunch better. I was so happy when Leupold started marketing these covers for various size scopes, but I was disappointed when my Leupold covers finally arrived. They seemed to fit way more sloppily than my old (mumble) type neoprene cover. (I forget the manufacturer). Maybe I just have not experimented enough with the Leupold covers?? I think there is another manufacturer out there apart from Leupold for these covers??
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have Butler Creek flip-open caps on my .308 Rem. I use leupold rings and bases though and it works well. Personally I really like the flip open caps..keeps my scope clean in the rain, doesnt get scratched going through brush. If you get used to them I think they are quite practical.

Posts: 121 | Location: Central VA | Registered: 13 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've gone round and round over this. Under dry conditions, I use the bikini covers. I leave the rear tab up and toss the whole thing if in a hurry. If the weather is bad, I use the Butler Creek Flip Open covers. When it's really cold, or wet, my lenses need to be clean when I go use them. Or I can't see nearly as well. In dry conditions, the only thing I really worry about is dust, which isn't much.
The noise problem can be handled two ways. Read the instructions on the package and try their suggestions, or open them slowly with your hand over them if the critter is close at hand and there is time. Either has worked for me. E

Posts: 1022 | Location: Placerville,CA,USA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote