Good for this guy!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted

Once in a lifetime’
Posted: Wednesday, Apr 16th, 2008
BY: Joy Ufford

Bondurant hunter shares his personal experience with wolves

Tony Saunders is part rancher, part farmer. He’s also an outfitter, cowboy, snowmobiler – and an avid hunter.

When Wyoming Game and Fish opened its predator wolf management area March 28, the Bon-durant man said he considered the chance to hunt a wolf legally a “once in a lifetime†opportunity for several reasons.

First of all, several years ago one of the family’s horses was confirmed as a wolf kill and a second one, “they were not quite sure,†but its death was considered likely caused by a wolf.

Second, wolves plague the upper Gros Ventres year-round where his hunting camp is located, killing elk throughout the winter and leaving fewer nice adults for paying clients to come and hunt – affecting his livelihood. This coming fall season is closing a week early because of a shortage of bull elk, he explained.

Third, wolves travel through the Hoback grazing allotment where he Saunders and other local ranchers turn their cattle out for summer feed.

Last but not least, he loves to snowmobile, and he loves to hunt.

“I was snowmachining for fun this winter and I didn’t see any tracks,†he said this week. “Or maybe I wasn’t really looking for them.â€

Once the new predator area came into being, though, Saunders thought about the places he’d seen and heard about wolves in Hoback Basin with the idea of hunting one. He set out one day in bad weather and whiteouts, spotting several sets of old tracks but nothing fresh.

“They’re going to hole up and not move in bad weather,†he noted.

The second day was “pretty nice.†Saunders and two friends set out on their snowmachines behind his house and hit fresh tracks of a single wolf a half-mile from his home. They tracked the wolf toward the Hoback Rim for hours – about 35 miles’ worth over ridges, through trees, down draws and over more ridges.

“I just got on the tracks and stayed on him,†Saunders recalled, not knowing how much of a lead the wolf had over him.

After sensing the animal was heading toward a patch of woods where he’d seen tracks before, he called the property owner and asked permission to continue his hunt, which she granted.

“He went clear up South Fisherman Creek, right through the middle of Hoback Ranches,†Saunders said. “I just tried to pick the direction he was going.â€

After more ups and downs and working his way around Hoback Ranches to the Rim without spotting another track, Saunders was feeling a little let down.

“I never could find his tracks so I kind of gave up on him,†Saunders said. “So we stopped and ate our lunch and visited.â€

He refigured his tactics, deciding to make another loop.

“I went about 400 yards and hit a wolf track,†he said. “It had come along behind us while we were eating.â€

The last 100 yards, the wolf and Saunders were both caught out in the wide open and Saunders took his trophy, which is how he views his own wolf kill. He strapped the wolf, estimated at about 4 years old, onto his snowmachine and headed back home. He plans to make a rug after having the hide tanned.

“They are a tremendously big dog,†he said. “Bigger than any dog I’ve ever seen.â€

Saunders emphasized he’s not trying to upset people against wolf hunting but wants them to understand how and why wolves can negatively affect wildlife and livelihoods.

“I’m not trying to stir the pot,†he said. “I have nothing to hide. I really think they need to be managed. When they start taking people’s livelihood it makes it tough.â€

“What gets me the worst is in the Gros Ventres because that’s where my hunting camp is but we can’t hunt them there – it’s the ‘wrong side of the highway,’†he said. “As far as ranchers and outfitters go, they do affect our livelihoods.â€

With three elk feedgrounds, major deer and antelope migration routes and plenty of moose dining on willow, it’s no surprise the upper Gros Ventres (part of the trophy-game area) holds two large packs that Saunders has heard are killing elk and moose left and right.

“In one or two days, between (a rancher’s place) to Alkali Creek, there will be eight to 10 elk they just hamstrung and killed,†Saunders said. “They didn’t eat any of them. And they’re just hell on moose. They’re going to be tough on anything they come across.â€

Wolves should be managed like trophy-game animals “because they are trophy game,†he said.

“We all want to see them, not just to kill them,†he said. “They are really neat to see. I just have a problem when I see them in the Gros Ventres.â€

Saunders and friends took another hunting trip through the predator area of Hoback Basin shortly after, following another set of tracks they’d seen when returning home with his kill and thinking it might be a different wolf.

“So I got on it,†he said. “We went across North Fisherman and I crossed some of my old tracks.â€

This wolf also went over ridges and up toward Hoback Rim and Saunders tried to cut him off near the timber.

“We did run into him and he did get away from us,†Saunders said. “He was huge. Huge, and black. He was six feet away when I went by trying to head him off. I followed him for three hours in the timber. I finally gave up.â€

Tracking such a large strong animal is part of the lure of hunting. Saunders said traveling through the rough timber on the second hunt was also exciting.

Sportsmen hunting wolves right now are in part, looking for wolves, and in another part just enjoying the hunt, he said.

“I really enjoy hunting and I’m an outfitter, partners in a hunting camp,†Saunders said. “There’s a thrill and anxiety following that track, thinking it might be right over the next knob or around the next corner and I’m going to see him.â€

He said he can’t blame people for “not knowing†the negative side of dealing with wolves.

“They just don’t know,†he said. It seems like here’s a lot of flak coming from people that don’t have to live with them.â€

If lawsuits shut down hunting wolves in Wyoming’s predator area after April 28 (when Earthjustice has indicated it will files suit against the final delisting and 10(j) rules), Saunders said his young son might never have the same chance to hunt a wolf as he’s had this spring.

“There’s a difference between people who kill and people who hunt,†he said. “It’s once in a lifetime. Anything you get one shot at doing, I think is pretty exciting.â€

THis sums it up and is pretty much the truth about wolves!

quote:
With three elk feedgrounds, major deer and antelope migration routes and plenty of moose dining on willow, it’s no surprise the upper Gros Ventres (part of the trophy-game area) holds two large packs that Saunders has heard are killing elk and moose left and right.

“In one or two days, between (a rancher’s place) to Alkali Creek, there will be eight to 10 elk they just hamstrung and killed,†Saunders said. “They didn’t eat any of them. And they’re just hell on moose. They’re going to be tough on anything they come across.â€

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A couple thousand more and I would be happy!
Charlie

Posts: 165 | Location: unit 10 Colorado | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's two of us! clap

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Only 4 years old. They never said how much it weighed but it looks like a huge dog. Must be eating good!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tony Saunders

"You just saved a hundred head of elk"

thumb

Thanks

Steve

Posts: 847 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are legal to hunt in Manitoba if you have a tag for bear, I've only ever taken one and it is quite something else to experience. To know there is a wolf out there, you get excited, slip off the safety of your rifle and start scanning your periphery... then you get disoriented from the sounds of the wolf nearby, he's to your left, then to your right, then a hundred yards away, then right behind you... then you suddenly realize you are NOT the hunter! I shot mine at 18 feet in a panicked head shot. They move like lightning! He was a very big and powerful animal, I would need to check my log book for the weight and age.

________

"...And on the 8th day, God created beer so those crazy Canadians wouldn't take over the world..."

Posts: 539 | Location: Winnipeg, MB. | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I emailed this post to an outfitter in Alberta I know and here is his response:

As an outfitter for 31 years in the Peace Country of Alberta, Canada,
your generous neighbor to the north that blessed you with the wolves that were
transplanted to the U.S. (don't expect us to be that generous with our oil or
water--the former is for sale at the right price to the highest bidder
internationally and the latter IS NOT FOR SALE), I can honestly say that
we have 7000 wolves in this province which has, according to our "DNR",
half the ungulates Wyoming has. Yet, even though we harvested two wolves
in three days last fall and missed a third, our hunters averaged sighting
2.5 legal bull moose each during their 6 day hunts. We have elk everywhere,
deer which trophy hunters now pay $8500 gladly for their opportunity to hunt
a 190+ mulie in the Peace Country. Some outfitters have 4 year waiting lists
for hunters wanting to come hunt big game in our area.

So, I don't get it. Wyoming has a couple hundred wolves and they're each
apparently eating an elk every day. IS IT POSSIBLE THE GRAZERS THERE ARE
OVERGRAZING AND CAUSING FOOD SHORTAGE FOR ELK, THEREFORE WEAKENING THEM AND
SUBJECTING THEM TO PREDATORS? MAYBE WE SHOULD TRANSPLANT SOME OF OUR ELK AND
MOOSE TO THAT PART OF THE U.S. AS APPARENTLY OUR ELK AND MOOSE CAN WITHSTAND
THE WOLF ONSLAUGHT. OR IS IT POSSIBLE THAT WITH 300 000 000 INHABITANTS
THE U.S. HAS JUST TOO MANY PEOPLE TO SUSTAIN WILDLIFE HABITAT. THE YUKON AND
NWT HAVE HAD WOLVES FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS AND MOOSE NOT ONLY COEXIST BUT
PROSPER TO THE POINT THAT ONLY ALASKA CAN RIVAL THEM IN SIZE. THREE HUNDRED
MILLION PEOPLE....2-300 WOLVES!!!! WHERE IS THE PROBLEM, REALLY AND HONESTLY?
I AM NOT A WOLF LOVER BUT SIMPLY AN OUTFITTER WHO IS TRYING TO GET ANSWERS TO
SOME SERIOUS QUESTIONS!!

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc:
I emailed this post to an outfitter in Alberta I know and here is his response:

As an outfitter for 31 years in the Peace Country of Alberta, Canada,
your generous neighbor to the north that blessed you with the wolves that were
transplanted to the U.S. (don't expect us to be that generous with our oil or
water--the former is for sale at the right price to the highest bidder
internationally and the latter IS NOT FOR SALE), I can honestly say that
we have 7000 wolves in this province which has, according to our "DNR",
half the ungulates Wyoming has. Yet, even though we harvested two wolves
in three days last fall and missed a third, our hunters averaged sighting
2.5 legal bull moose each during their 6 day hunts. We have elk everywhere,
deer which trophy hunters now pay $8500 gladly for their opportunity to hunt
a 190+ mulie in the Peace Country. Some outfitters have 4 year waiting lists
for hunters wanting to come hunt big game in our area.

So, I don't get it. Wyoming has a couple hundred wolves and they're each
apparently eating an elk every day. IS IT POSSIBLE THE GRAZERS THERE ARE
OVERGRAZING AND CAUSING FOOD SHORTAGE FOR ELK, THEREFORE WEAKENING THEM AND
SUBJECTING THEM TO PREDATORS? MAYBE WE SHOULD TRANSPLANT SOME OF OUR ELK AND
MOOSE TO THAT PART OF THE U.S. AS APPARENTLY OUR ELK AND MOOSE CAN WITHSTAND
THE WOLF ONSLAUGHT. OR IS IT POSSIBLE THAT WITH 300 000 000 INHABITANTS
THE U.S. HAS JUST TOO MANY PEOPLE TO SUSTAIN WILDLIFE HABITAT. THE YUKON AND
NWT HAVE HAD WOLVES FOR THOUSANDS OF YEARS AND MOOSE NOT ONLY COEXIST BUT
PROSPER TO THE POINT THAT ONLY ALASKA CAN RIVAL THEM IN SIZE. THREE HUNDRED
MILLION PEOPLE....2-300 WOLVES!!!! WHERE IS THE PROBLEM, REALLY AND HONESTLY?
I AM NOT A WOLF LOVER BUT SIMPLY AN OUTFITTER WHO IS TRYING TO GET ANSWERS TO
SOME SERIOUS QUESTIONS!!

I love it!

Obviously, Canadians do not understand The American Persecution Complex and Hysteria (TAPCH)!

When there is lead in the air, there is hope in my heart -- MWH ~1996

Posts: 2257 | Location: Where I've bought resident tags:MN, WI, IL, MI, KS, GA, AZ, IA | Registered: 30 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Outdoor Writer
posted Hide Post
Doc,

I heard mentioned that the DNR in Alberta sprays all the game critters with wolf repellent. Wink

When you go hunt bear with Roy, he'll likely have a few wolf hides in his freezer. They are numerous in the area, and a few often visit a place near the lodge where he has a landing strip. So you might get a chance to add one to your trophies.

One of the guys with Mike and I on that first bear hunt killed a wolf. Roy didn't skin it until the next day, though. By then the stench was horrible, and he lost his breakfast. Big Grin

While there, you will likely see lots of moose roaming about as you hunt for bears. They often feed right along the highway, too. You might also see some elk that are rapidly expanding from the south into that area north of Prince George to help feed the wolves. -TONY

Tony Mandile - Author "How To Hunt Coues Deer"

Posts: 3269 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: 28 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

So I take it this outfitter, along with a 100 others, and Game and Fish employees, are all liers. Filthy, good for nothing, no nothing liers! With Tony the big time fishing writer and brent the tree hugger from iowa , saying so, in so many words! HMMMMMM! Sorry I take side with G&F employees, and the outfitters of Wyoming. And if the wolves are not having any effect on Wyoming game animals, why hunt them???? Leave them alone!