THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Stocks: Standerd or Weatherby Style???

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stocks: Standerd or Weatherby Style???
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Magnum61
posted
I'm looking at buying a new stock for my 700 SS and I have the option of getting a standerd Rem cut stock or a Weatherby cut stock that is inleted for the 700.

Any Feedback or opinion?

-Everybody has a dream hunt, mine just happens to be for a Moose.-

-The 30-06 is like a perfect steak next to a campfire, a .300 Win Mag is the same but with mushrooms and a baked potato-

Posts: 277 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 08 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Define Weatherby Style? I am assuming you mean a Western Style Stock, high gloss, with Native American "Style" markings and a exotic wood end piece. Such as a Weatherby Deluxe wood stock.

All of my Weatherby's have normal looking stocks but I do like their custom wood stocks for a change from the norm.

Posts: 153 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post
If you were referring to stock style......and there is more than one "standard" Remington style.....here's a rather simplistic view of how the stocks differ Weatherby vs. Remington.

The lines extending over the butt are approximately at center of bore for these stocks. The area where you would "cheek" the comb is approximately the same amount of drop in all cases. The difference is the drop at heel.

Both monte carlo stocks have more drop.....the Weatherby more than the Remington. Which style you prefer is certainly a matter of personal preference. As the monte carlos, particularly the Weatherby have more vertical space between where the shoulder is in relation to your eye......they allow a more "upright" shooting position.

GV

Posts: 768 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
I love the way the Weatherby stocks fit me and pull recoil away from my face...I hate the way they look...hence, mine are all straight-combed.

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Magnum61
posted Hide Post
The Weatherby style is what I meant not extra glossy wood or anything of that sort.

See, I really like the look of Weatherby Stocks but I've only shot one on a 340 WBY a long time ago and I don't remember much at all about it.

I have a new Scope coming in with 50mm lense and a 30mm tube and I was just trying to see with that raised cheek piece would help but the picture shows different.

-The 30-06 is like a perfect steak next to a campfire, a .300 Win Mag is the same but with mushrooms and a baked potato-

Posts: 277 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 08 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for clarifying. I prefer the swept contours of the Weatherby stock better. As mentioned earlier, it does drive recoil down and away from your face. I also prefer their forend.

Posts: 153 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I took one shot from a .300 Weatherby and was cured. While I thought they were good looking, I really do not like their recoil charateristics. I prefer a stock that recoils straight back as opposed to one that rears up like the weatherbys' do.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMHO while weatherby stocks don't look that great they handle recoil well for me at least.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Magnum61:
I'm looking at buying a new stock for my 700 SS and I have the option of getting a standerd Rem cut stock or a Weatherby cut stock that is inleted for the 700.

Any Feedback or opinion?
Hey Magnum61, Are you talking Termite Food or the excellent Synthetic Stocks available today?

Are you talking about a "Shelf Item", or one made specifically for your rifle?

Just took a look at GrandViews flicks and something just doesn't seem right to me. Looks like a good idea with the "Line", but it appears the Lines are not all along the Center of the Bore. Needless to say(if I'm seeing it correctly) that would mislead you about the position(height) of the stock where your cheek will touch.

Or, perhaps the Termite Food just WARPED that much after the Lines were drawn! Big Grin

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Magnum61
posted Hide Post
Hot Core,

Ok, to clear this up here is the entire story. For Christmas I got a Leupold 4.5-14X50 LR with a Boone Crocket reticle.

I figured I should get rid of my old plastic stock and get a new one. I don't really have the funds for a McMillan but I can afford a Bell and Carlson, which they offer a Weatherby cut stock for the 700 LA.

That is the stock I'm looking at.

one of us
Picture of GrandView
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:

Just took a look at GrandViews flicks and something just doesn't seem right to me. Looks like a good idea with the "Line", but it appears the Lines are not all along the Center of the Bore. Needless to say(if I'm seeing it correctly) that would mislead you about the position(height) of the stock where your cheek will touch.

I think the 2nd stock has a line that's a bit too low. I just quickly threw a line on each, hopefully at the top of stock line, which would be at bore center.

The object of the exercise was to show the position of the butt pad on each in relation to the comb. In turn, the point on the comb where your cheek rests will be about the same (in relation to the bore or sights) on almost all production stocks.

The monte carlo comb came as an evolution in stock design when scopes became popular. Prior to scopes, stocks were designed with drop at heel to account for the difference in the vertical distance between the top of your shoulder and your cheek. That drop accounted for that difference. If you've ever mounted an older gun with a stock designed strictly for iron sights, you know how quickly they mount. Your head is erect, and the butt meets your shoulder at the same time the comb meets your cheek.

When scopes became popular, those stocks with combs that sloped back sharply, couldn't support the cheek because their wasn't any comb there to do it when the eye was aligned with the scope. So they built up the comb with what is now referred to as a monte carlo comb. The straight comb couldn't just be raised in its entirety because the comb nose still had to be low enough to allow the bolt to be drawn back. This of course applies only to bolt actions.....in fact several single shot stocks did raise the entire comb without creating a monte carlo.

More than just aesthetics, the "straighter" stock, one with very little drop at heel, became more popular than the monte carlo because of an attempt to reduce felt recoil. The closer you can get the butt against your shoulder on the same plane as the bore line....the less felt recoil. Particularly on your cheek. There are a lot of stocks now that have the comb absolutely level.....top of butt at the same level as the comb nose. There are even stocks that have the butt at a higher level than the comb nose......negative drop if you will.

There are some sacrifices in the very straight stocks. In order for the stock to be firmly against the shoulder, and the cheek resting correctly against the comb, the head will be tipped forward, and the eye will sight through the upper segment of visual plane. On an angle up toward your eyebrow rather than straight out from your face. This isn't a big deal if you shoot from a bench, or from a hunting stand. In those cases you are likely leaning forward anyway, and that reduces the vertical distance between the top of shoulder and cheek.

If you wish to mount the rifle quickly, have the butt seated properly to your shoulder and the comb against your cheek, you'll likely be best served with a bit of drop at the heel. I've watched shooters with very straight stocks mount their rifles quickly for a shot and have an inch and a half of butt visible above their shoulder. In my opinion, they would have been better off having that drop at heel in order to have the entire butt against their shoulder....that little fact would likely reduce felt recoil as much as the very straight stock.

If I was backed into a corner, I'd probably admit the monte carlo stock is functionally the best design. However, as others have posted.....I don't like the look. I build my own stocks and my preferred dimension is a comb nose that just allows the bolt to clear, and the butt 5/8 inch lower than that point. This gives me a stock that mounts quickly, sufficient comb height to align to the scope, and without any recoil sensitivity. I also have a bit of cast off and toe out.

GV

Posts: 768 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just wanted to say that I really liked GrandView's idea of showing the Bore Line in relation to the Cheek Piece. And I see what he was intending to do in his last post.

But, it appears to me the top of the Foreend was not always along the Bore Line. However that could be an optical illusion on my part.

Seems he covered how a stock should fit, better than most threads I've read on the subject.

quote:
Originally posted by Magnum61:
...Ok, to clear this up here is the entire story. For Christmas I got a Leupold 4.5-14X50 LR with a Boone Crocket reticle.
Hey Magnum61, I've heard some very positive comments about that Reticle. I've not used one though, so I don't know how well it would do for the hunting conditions I'm used to. It would depend on how THICK the Reticle is for me.

quote:
I figured I should get rid of my old plastic stock and get a new one. I don't really have the funds for a McMillan but I can afford a Bell and Carlson, which they offer a Weatherby cut stock for the 700 LA.

That is the stock I'm looking at.
One of my buddies changes stocks all the time. He has been in search of a particular "feel" to the entire rifle. I suppose we all do that to some extent.

Where Grandview mentioned making his own stocks, he could obviously just keep making slight modifications until he gets them just the way he wants them. No doubt that is a significant advantage over the rest of us.

As to the "shape" of your stock, I'm not sure anyone can really tell you what is best for you. I believe you will just have to go to different Gun Shops, Gun Shows and visit friends who have firearms to see what "feels" right for you.

I've got stocks with both Straight and Monte Carlo shapes and I like both. I used nothing but Classic or Straight combs for a long time and they did fine. As long as my eye aligns properly with the sights(Iron or Glass), the entire rifle balances well and is reasonably close to the proper length for me, then I am happy with them.

So, I'm not a good one to be recommending one style over the other.

Nothing at all wrong with putting a new stock on your rifle. If your old stock shoots well, save it somewhere.

I've got a couple of rifles that have the Injection Molded Stocks that I was fairly sure would not shoot well at all. But, I was surprised to find that they shot great just as they are. I still don't see how they do it as flimsey as they are, but apparently they respond to Recoil exactly the same from shot to shot.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote