New
Find
Notify
Tools

best bullet
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am using a muzzle loader for deer and I have been using a 260 gr. winchester supreme bullet. It is doing the trick, but I was wondering what everyones opinion was on muzzle loader bullets for deer. Which ones put them down the best. All my shots are under 125 yards.

Posts: 25 | Location: Peebles, Ohio | Registered: 15 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot my first muzzleloader deer this year using a 300 grain Hornady SST ahead of two 50 grain 777 pellets. The shot was not that far, most of mine aren't. Quartering shot, entered inside deers right shoulder and exited through last ribs on the left side. Deer traveled about 20 yards after the shot. I bought the gun this fall and did not get the chance to try too many different loads. This load shoots two inches at 100 yards. TTS

Posts: 84 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of OldFart
posted Hide Post
One thing to look on sabots is the sabot itself tearing or being deformed. That will destroy your accuracy.
I personally like the Barnes MZ, as I have never had one tear, in spite of shooting magnum loads and firing 10 or more shots without cleaning.
If you use sabots at all, look for them when the shooting is over. If they are deformed at all, find another bullet.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Do you think that I should go with a heavier bullet than the 260 gr.? Or is this OK.

Posts: 25 | Location: Peebles, Ohio | Registered: 15 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I forgot to mention, I am shooting a .50 cal. and I am using 120 gr. powder.

one of us
posted Hide Post
For deer the 260's well work fine. If you shoot them in the right place you well have no trouble. If they are accurate use them with out any trouble.

Posts: 19437 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
<boreal>
posted
I like the 410 grain flat-base hollow-point Buffalo Bullet with 100 grains of Goex FFg in my T/C New Englander.

Of course, I'm pretty sure that's not what you're looking for. [Smile] [Smile]

one of us
Picture of OldFart
posted Hide Post
I like the 250 Gr. MZ using 3 50 Gr. Pyrodex pellets. This gives me around 2100 fps.
Unless your after something larger than a deer, a 260 gr. bullet should be fine.