Find
Notify
Tools

700-yard, cross-canyon shots on elk?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
naw, you just gotta get close enough!Wink

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know many rifles are capable and a few hunters. But that type of hunting is as controversial as high fenced hunting.

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wonderful photography! The oldest son and I will be out your way next year (draw-dependent, of course) for our first elk. Truly an animal deserving of the highest respect.
Walt

Posts: 324 | Location: VIRGINIA | Registered: 27 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 338-378 with the right bullet will do the job.It adds about 250 yards to the 338 win mags range.I practice alot with my guns.I have shot .25 " groups with my gun and have shot 1" groups at 300 yards.Alot of long range hunters use the Serria Match king 300 gr bullet.It has a BC of .86 and holds its speed and energy out to 1000 yards.It takes alot of practice and no wind and an awesome scope and range finder but it can be done.I usually do try to shoot too far over 400 yards but if its the only shot I have and its a good day I will take it under perfict conditions.Check out longrangehunting.com if its still open.It was closed a while.They shoot way pasy 700 yards but you have to know what your doing.

Posts: 2534 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skinner.
posted Hide Post
quote:
The 338-378 with the right bullet will do the job.

I suppose it can but the variables in a canyon, like wind currents, make it not advisable. I practiced for these type of shots by shooting across canyons, uphill, downhill, etc, etc. And under hunting conditions a killing shot ain't very likely.

Tas' has it right, get closer.

one of us
Picture of Sierra_Dave
posted Hide Post
Not to beat a dead horse...this has been discussed...A man has to know his limits and those of his weapons. 300 yards under ideal conditions should be the limit for 99.99% of hunters. If you shot at long range competitions, you will find very few who would shot beyond 300 at an Elk...even the BSers...FWIW

"We are all here for a short spell; so get all the good laughs you can.
Everything is funny as long as it is happening to Somebody Else."
Will Rogers

Posts: 82 | Location: Sierra Nevada Mountains | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sierra_Dave:
Not to beat a dead horse...this has been discussed...A man has to know his limits and those of his weapons. 300 yards under ideal conditions should be the limit for 99.99% of hunters. If you shot at long range competitions, you will find very few who would shot beyond 300 at an Elk...even the BSers...FWIW

oh,come on now.300 yds?I think the farthest I have taken game was about 275 yds,but I think many people could easily go past 300.

SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Posts: 2937 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 26 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great way to cripple an elk. Get closer, be a hunter, not a shooter.

Nice photos by the way. thumb

MG

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
probably posted before, but...

830 yard elk

Me personally, I like them under 50 yards. I love being that close to wild game. You get a good look at them.

Excellent photos above, by the way!! thumb

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah Tas, great photos! thumb

Posts: 10478 | Location: N.W. Wyoming | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Beautiful width on that bull.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12599 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
Just be sure to use sierra match kings and your in business.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
Man that guy in the 830 yard shot was lucky to not have made a bad hit on that elk. His cross hairs were going from one end to the other of that elk. I bet that if the elk did not go down right there the guy would have called a miss and just went somewhere to SHOOT AT (not hunt) some more elk.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

One of Us
Picture of Guillermo Amestoy
posted Hide Post
My longest shot (Gemsbok on plain at 470 yards) offhand !!! (last day safari, last daylight hour) But I agree, the real hunter must be capable of put the barrel in the trophy nose!!!that is the challenge !!!Otherwise we are only sniper shooting animal targets.

"Every ignored reallity prepares its revenge!"

Posts: 883 | Location: Provincia de Cordoba - Republica Argentina -Southamerica | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RMiller:
Man that guy in the 830 yard shot was lucky to not have made a bad hit on that elk. His cross hairs were going from one end to the other of that elk.
Do you mean from top to bottom? I watched it again and I didn't see much deviation at all. His dot pretty much stayed in the boiler room.

But, that is one reason to have a lighter trigger pull. I prefer mine at 1 pound or less. When I touch the trigger, I want the rifle to shoot.

Not arguing for or against long shots on animals, but I've seen hunters free-hand shots from 50-100 yards on a feeding deer make much worse shots compared to that in the video.

I've always wondered what these long range shooters do with the animals you DON'T see in their videos where poor hits occurred, broken legs, etc. Frowner

But the video does demonstrate one thing for sure, and that is that the 180 grain 30 caliber bullet from a 30-378 will dump a big bull elk at long range when the bullet enters the shoulder. Roll Eyes

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
I do not advocate long range shooting, IMO it is not nearly as fun or as sporting as getting within a more reasonable range. However, I also see nothing wrong with taking a long shot if the range is known and you have practiced at those ranges with your rifle. In the last year, my best friend and hunting partner and I have killed each a ram and he an Elk at over 400yds. We would have liked to killed each of them at 50yds, but we didn't want to go home without those trophy's eigther.

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Guillermo Amestoy
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chuck Nelson:
I do not advocate long range shooting, IMO it is not nearly as fun or as sporting as getting within a more reasonable range. However, I also see nothing wrong with taking a long shot if the range is known and you have practiced at those ranges with your rifle. In the last year, my best friend and hunting partner and I have killed each a ram and he an Elk at over 400yds. We would have liked to killed each of them at 50yds, but we didn't want to go home without those trophy's eigther.

Nice Trophys, But why cover the faces on photos?

"Every ignored reallity prepares its revenge!"

Posts: 883 | Location: Provincia de Cordoba - Republica Argentina -Southamerica | Registered: 09 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It isn't me.

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chuck Nelson:
I do not advocate long range shooting, IMO it is not nearly as fun or as sporting as getting within a more reasonable range. However, I also see nothing wrong with taking a long shot if the range is known and you have practiced at those ranges with your rifle. In the last year, my best friend and hunting partner and I have killed each a ram and he an Elk at over 400yds. We would have liked to killed each of them at 50yds, but we didn't want to go home without those trophy's either.

I hear you and agree with that.

I just think that those gys on that video would rather spend 10 minutes setting up 1000 yards out that do what it takes to get closer.

They also never mention that the bullet drop is @ 20' and that at 1000 yards the bulet drop is 4" every ten yards. And that a ten mph wind will move the bullet 60+ inches.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!