New
Find
Notify
Tools

where for big black bear?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was fortunate to kill a very nice black bear last spring in SE WA state. It had a brown coat and weighed about 375-400#. Its hide squared about 6.5' and skull was green scored by my taxidermist at 20 1/16". I would like to take a bigger black phase black bear. I have considered hunting with Jim Shockey on Vancouver Island but wonder if I would likely get a bigger bear. I know it is possible but I suspect his average is not much bigger than the one I shot already. I have read that Prince of Wales Island in Alaska has produced a number of Boone and Crockett skulls. Would POW Island be the best place to go or is there a better spot? I know that Pennsylvania and North Carolina and some other spots are great too but would prefer either Canada or Alaska (I would love to thump brer bear with my 45 Colt so ideally I would not hunt Canada since handguns are outlawed). I like the spot and stalk method of hunting. Arizona or New Mexico sounds intriguing as well (I have heard of some big bears from those two states). I can only do spring hunts for bear because I am very busy in September and October. Thanks, Rufous.

Posts: 224 | Location: Walla Walla, WA 99362 | Registered: 05 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
375 to 400 is a big bear there are bigger ones 1or2 shot in Wis very year in the 600 lb class a couple in the 500 lbs. But 400 is nothing to be ashamed of. Bears bigger then 400 are out here but few and far between. Wis is about a 5 year wait for a kill tag. Mn might be a go they are offering two tags apice this year.

Posts: 19583 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
<T/Jazz>
posted
Way to go Rufous! Man that is a big bear if you ask me by golly. Hey Rufous, what kind of caliber gun did you shoot this black bear with or is it a secret.LOL

<csj>
posted
As funny as it might sound I would look in heading south to California. The bears that you find in Mendocino County or Mammoth. Both places have produced quite a few incredible bears. I believe the world record black bear was taken in Mendocino County a few years back. If you check out this web page there are few bears from CA.

http://members.aol.com/rk3487/sierra/record.htm

CJ

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rufous,
All of the places mentioned so far are capable of producing the kind of bear you are looking for. It is probably a matter of looking over a lot of bears and waiting for the right one. For myself, I would probaby go to one of the BC islands or SE AK for a spring spot and stalk hunt. Some of the baited hunts in Canada are taking some giants as well. I would think the key is to go where there is a high bear population along with a lot of big bears to choose from. The one you got already isn't going to be very easy to top, but it should be fun to try. Hopefully I will get a crack at one in the fall of 2003 here in Wisconsin. Good luck. TTS

Posts: 84 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 December 2001Reply With Quote
<bearbait>
posted
in my oppinion you cant beat the swamps of eastern north carolina. the current world record comes from there and from the bear i have seen taken out of there it will be broken again from that area.

bearbait

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rufous:
(I would love to thump brer bear with my 45 Colt so ideally I would not hunt Canada since handguns are outlawed). I like the spot and stalk method of hunting.I can only do spring hunts for bear because I am very busy in September and October. Thanks, Rufous.

Sounds like in order to maximize your opportunities, locations providing the greatest number bear per given area is going to be a must. Spot and stalk hunting with a hand gun is very realistic. S.E. Alaska is going to be the best choice I can think of!
best,
bhtr

Posts: 223 | Location: Soldotna, Alaska | Registered: 29 December 2001Reply With Quote
<T/Jazz>
posted
If I can believe the magazine article I read a while back, British Columbia has the most black bears running lose. The authorities had over 10,000 reported cases last year of black bears causing problems in many areas. It sounds to me like the odds of getting a bear up there would be the best opportunity for a hunter.

<303hunter>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by bearbait:
in my oppinion you cant beat the swamps of eastern north carolina. the current world record comes from there and from the bear i have seen taken out of there it will be broken again from that area.

bearbait

Hey do you know anything about the 880 pound bear especially pictures? I know it was taken in '98 by some hunters from Tenn. but I haven't heard a thing since. Is it for sure the world record? I haven't been able to find any info on this bear, and I live only about 1 hour or so West of where it was taken. Any help (links hint hint beg) would be greatly appreciated.

<Lars G>
posted
My somewhat dated book of Alaska trophy records indicates that Kuiu Island, in SE Alaska, is a "hotbed" of 20"+ black bear skulls. This Island is just north of Prince of Wales, but is less accessible.