THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM AMERICAN BIG GAME HUNTING FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  American Big Game Hunting    Brief Report, Mertzon Texas Whitetail hunt.

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brief Report, Mertzon Texas Whitetail hunt.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Brief because I'm exhausted and need to get ready for work.
Went on a 3-day hunt with my wifes brother on his lease near Mertzon, Texas which is a bit Southwest of San Angelo and Northwest of Eldorado. The property is a working ranch and oilfield with considerable activity from both, fortunatly the place is big enough to absorb most of the activities. The weather was overcast during the day and near freezing at night Friday thru Saturday afternoon when it finally cleared off and was very nice for Saturday evenings and Sundays hunts. Deer populations in this area is very high with mostly younger deer taken as the muture bucks became very wise to any pressure. This is one of those places where patience needs to be exercised or you will never see anything more than about 2 1/2 year olds and about 120 lbs on the hoof. Granted there are some nice 2 1/2 year old 8 points running around that will hurt your feelings with ground shrinkage. By the time Saturday afternoons hunt came around I was getting concerned that I had not taken anything yet as I still had all my tags. Well that eves hunt turned things around for me. After watching a doe for about 1/2 an hour and fending off the idea of harvesting her to stock the freezer a decent 9 point trotted out into my view. After intensely looking at him through my binos I knew he was an entry level/acceptable buck to harvest for the area. Bang thump and one for the freezer. 9 points and 180 lbs.
Rodney.

Posts: 1049 | Location: Cut-n-Shoot, Texas USA | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Looks good to me, whats not to like.
What did you take him with, not your 17 Remington I'd bet.
Best
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks GW, no I didn't use the 17 but an old Springfield 03 30-06 instead. Shot was about 90 yards. The property is all low fenced with this particular pasture being 5,200 acres. Vedgatation is mostly mesquite trees/brush, cedar, cactus and grass. Mule deer have been moving into the area with frequent sightings for the last three years, but no season for them yet in Schliecher county. This part of the ranch is located in the extreme Northwest part of the county with mule deer season across the line. Rio Grandes are very abundant there and are alot of fun to hunt, which was my original intention for the 17 Remington. It is a very interesting place to hunt with abundant wildlife of which you will never really know what you will see, but you will definaitly see some game. Will try to get out there again before the close of the season for the year and then it will be onto spring time gobblers.
Rodney.

Posts: 1049 | Location: Cut-n-Shoot, Texas USA | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with that deer. Well Done, meat in the freezer.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
nice deer rodney... i used to live on the tom green county line, just east of sherwood...west of tankersly... property i had was on spring creek, and quite a few deer crossed my place... beer

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Definiatly great eating and not a bad trophy at all to add to my very small collection. Dropped the head off yesterday to have a skull mount done and mounted to a nice display, they said it should be done shortly after Christmas Cool. This is the best I've taken off the place and have passed on many 8 pointers that I felt were just too young. Here is the shot picture.
Rodney.

One of Us
Picture of Tim Herald
posted Hide Post
congrats!

Good Hunting,

Tim Herald
Worldwide Trophy Adventures
tim@trophyadventures.com

Posts: 2981 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good buck taken in my hometown!!

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sevenxbjt
posted Hide Post
Great deer, I'd have no complaints about him.

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Very nice! thumb

Congrats! beer

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9406 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, it's been a while since I've taken a good one and this one makes up for missing the entire season last year. Scottyboy would know the quality of deer that come from there and then the resistance required to not take the first eight point thats seen. Meanwhile theres more meat to cut up.
Rodney.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thats a good buck on what you'd expect off a low fence, working ranch in that part of the state.. They do come alot larger, but on places with STRICT management practices..

My biggest buck out of the Mertzon area back over half my life ago.. I was 14 years old, 32 now (sweet late 80's, early 90's western clothes, huh!).. Took him out on my bud's ranch out while feeding cows..bucks were rutting and we threw the gun in, just on case. Well, a doe ran across the road in front of us with him hot on her trail. 140 class 9 point.

Again, nice buck, Rodney!

Posts: 2163 | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote