New
Find
Notify
Tools

Standard soft points for moose?
 Login/Join

<duckster>
posted
Would standard softpoints such as the Hornady or Inter-lokt be OK for moose? My '06 shoots the Hornady and Remington ammo better than anything else in the 180 grain weight. I would like to use a more premium bullet, but my rifle doesn't shoot them as well (I have tried several types) Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep, the 180 gr Hornaday SP will do fine in the .30-06. I'm surprise that a 180gr Nosler Partition would not shoot well enough? You loading your own or are you shooting factory? All you need is 1.5 to 2 inches for groups. Moose are pretty easy to kill, put a good bullet in the heart lungs and you are done. Have you tried Winchesters 180 gr Fail Safe Loads? Thats a real good load, and if your rifle groups them into 2 inches or so you would be good. One of the things that might help is have your rifle properly bedded if it has not already been done. One other thing, Moose hunting can be very wet and very cold, keeping yourself and your feet dry is the most important part of the whole hunt.

Posts: 1070 | Location: East Haddam, CT | Registered: 16 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
They'll work, just keep away from heavy bone and bad angles. Some guys in BC use 150 gr. soft points (Federal Classic Hi-Shoks) in either 308 or 30-06, and many use the same bullet type in 270 Win 130 gr.

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
<duckster>
posted
George,

I did try Federal Premium with 180 gr. Nosler Partitions as well as Fail Safes and Partition Gold. I don't handload so these were all factory loads. Maybe I am being too concerned with the accuracy aspect. Nothing shot over 2 inches. The Hornaday and Remingtons were under 1 inch, the others were around 1 1/2 inches.

one of us
Picture of Richard Wayne
posted Hide Post
They should work fine , i used to use 180 cor-loct's in my 308 with no problem. Don't feel bad using soft point's, I shot a bull with my .44 mag. using win. black talon hollow point's,mind you it was only 65 yds. Have never seen a bullet that did as much damage as those. The Canadian gov't banned them up here . Wish i new how to place photo on here, it is one squirmish looking bullet. Rick

Posts: 224 | Location: ontario,canada | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
duckster,

your remington and hornady shells will kill moose just fine. 180 grain slugs are a good weight, so go hunting and have fun...

Posts: 115 | Location: Maine USA | Registered: 26 January 2002Reply With Quote
<duckster>
posted
I do have some Federal TBBC in 180 grain and also some Nitrex with 180 grain Grand Slams, so I am going to shoot them first, but if they don't shoot well I will go with the conventional softpoints. Thanks

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I'ld rather have the NPs @ 1 1/2moa than the Hornady @ 1moa. Cheap insuarnce for ana expensive hunt. Of coarse there are those that would use a MK? [Confused]

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by duckster:
I did try Federal Premium with 180 gr. Nosler Partitions as well as Fail Safes and Partition Gold. I don't handload so these were all factory loads. Maybe I am being too concerned with the accuracy aspect. Nothing shot over 2 inches. The Hornaday and Remingtons were under 1 inch, the others were around 1 1/2 inches.

Ohhhh, well then, use the 180 gr. Partition Golds. 1.5" groups are fine for moose, well, at least out to 400-500 yards, alot further than your 30-06 is potent at. The Golds will expand nice, but still penetrate well. Try the TBBC too, they will work, and the Speer Grand Slam is an alright bullet too, better than a conventional softpoint. It's not that a regular 180 gr. bullet won't kill a moose, it is just that the premiums are cheap insurance on a good hunt, they will be one thing you'll be glad to didn't skimp on. After all, the bullet is the only thing that connects you to your trophy. [Smile]

[ 09-05-2003, 23:03: Message edited by: todbartell ]

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't screw with that rifle, its a keeper. Now take some of that not to accurate 1.5 inch grouping Partitons Fails Safes or TBBC and sight that rifle, take two boxes of it with you and go have a great hunt. Here I was thinking that you were getting maybe 6 or 8 inch groups. Those inaccurate loads will assure you of a good killing accuracy out to well past 400 yards. Except that most moose are shot well under 200 yards. Let us know how you had a great hunt.

Posts: 1070 | Location: East Haddam, CT | Registered: 16 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
My logic says that if you're spending a lot of bucks on a hunt you pay the insurance premium.

To me that's a premium bullet and I'm a big fan of Hornady's interlock, but I'll pay a few pennies more for an A-Frame or Trophy bonded (and others) anyday.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
<duckster>
posted
George,

Thanks for the reply. I guess I am being overly particular. Mostly because I had not used 180 gr. bullets in this rifle before, always 165s. The lighter bullets usually are around 1/2 inch if I am on the ball. I also have not hunted moose before and didn't really take into account that they have a bigger kill zone than our whitetails!

one of us
Picture of Cariboo
posted Hide Post
Duckster, not only do moose have larger "kill zone" than whitetails it also takes them longer to realize they are dead. If your moose doesn't drop right at the shot don't be too surprized eh! [Wink] LoL

BTW I shoot 200 grain partitions in my '06 for moose. There is no such thing as too much bullet for moose.

[ 09-06-2003, 07:34: Message edited by: Cariboo ]

Posts: 277 | Location: McLeese Lake, B. C. Canada | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by duckster:
George,

Thanks for the reply. I guess I am being overly particular. Mostly because I had not used 180 gr. bullets in this rifle before, always 165s. The lighter bullets usually are around 1/2 inch if I am on the ball. I also have not hunted moose before and didn't really take into account that they have a bigger kill zone than our whitetails!

The kill zone on a moose is not small [Smile]

I'd use the premiums shooting at 1.5"...Alot less accurate guns have killed alot of moose...

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One more thing most of the time Moose once hit, end up in Water for some odd reason. You have yourself a great hunt.

one of us
Picture of Cariboo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by George Semel:
One more thing most of the time Moose once hit, end up in Water for some odd reason.

.........and the few that can't find water will find the nastiest pile of blow-down they can to crawl under and die! LoL [Wink]

The worst thing about hunting moose is that all the fun goes away real quick once they hit the ground! If they didn't taste so darn good I think I would quit hunting them. LoL [Big Grin]

Good luck on your hunt Duckster!

Posts: 277 | Location: McLeese Lake, B. C. Canada | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've found 180 grain Speer hot-cor Spitzer in my .300 WM got great penetration. They shoot well and they are not "premium." I get 3100 fps out of my 26" bbl. Browning A Bolt (pre Boss).

Posts: 36231 | Location: Laughing so hard I can barely type.  | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I killed my last 3 moose with a 30-06 loaded with 180 grain ballistic tips to about 2600 fps.

One (700 lbs) dropped on the spot. One (1250 lbs) was hit while running, and went about 35 yds. The third (1150 lbs) staggered around for about 50 yds before dieing.

Standard bullets work great at "middle" velocities.

Posts: 190 | Location: Manotick, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 24 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Let's see, for killing moose. 243, 6mm, 7mm-08, 6.5 X 55, 270, 280, 7 mag (various), 300 Savage, 30-30, 308 (Win and Norma), 30-06 (in various permutations), 300 mags (various), 338's (various), 8mm's (various) 35's (various) etc. They all worked fine. Never felt the need for the "super duper wonder bullet of the week" in any of them for moose. Do the premium bullets work better? Sure. Do you need them? I don't think so, least of all in a 30-06 on moose. Moose are BIG. The kill zone is the size of a platter. At any range you should be shooting at with an -06, pretty much any 180 gr or heavier bullets will work. I've always liked heavy for caliber bullets, but I've had enough friends kill moose with lighter bullets that I won't scoff at that either. 1.5" accuracy is lot's for moose (and most big game animals for that matter). I know we all get caught up in this accuracy drive, me too, but the best hunter I ever knew in my life used a Savage 99 in 303 Savage for everything, and he killed a lot more game then I ever did (or anyone I know). Iron sights, check it in August to make sure it still shot to point of aim (one bullet, no sense wasting ammo), and off he would go to fill his freezer for another year. Caribou, moose, deer, elk, bears, cougars, wolves, coyotes, down to rabbits, everything was shot with that rifle. Factory ammo, Winchester if I recall correctly, with a 195 gr bullet. Worked on everything. FWIW - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<duckster>
posted
As it turns out, I was trying some of the new Federal loads with 180 grain Grand Slams and they give the best groups in my rifle. I usually consider them to be between the standard soft points and the super premiums.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Duckster, I would have to agree with what Dan said. If you don't handload you might want to try Remington's Safari ammunition with 180 grain Swift A-Frames. Hard to beat the A-Frames and I've found them to be more consistent for accuracy than Federal's TBBC. If you're getting 1.5" accuracy I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it. When I lived in Northern Ontario many years ago I killed plenty of moose with an old .303 that I would have been ecstatic to get 2". FWIW

Posts: 2092 | Location: Canada | Registered: 25 April 2003Reply With Quote
<duckster>
posted
I feel pretty good about the Grand Slams. I have had very good luck with them on deer sized game from both a .280 and '06 (165 grain).

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by George Semel:
One more thing most of the time Moose once hit, end up in Water for some odd reason. You have yourself a great hunt.

Not a surprise there. A mooses main enemy is a Wolf and when hurt or threatened they naturally go where they feel safest, in the water. That is the reason that a dog is so good at pushing wounded Moose out of the bush and back to water.

By the way duck, you haven't experienced the total joy of Moose hunting until you have tried to quarter one out in chest deep water. Cold water. You'll be able to cover your entire Johnson with one of those 180 grain bullets. [Eek!]

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
<duckster>
posted
Mick,

I'm sure you are right about that!! Hopefully I won't have to experience that aspect of the moose hunt.

[ 09-20-2003, 20:40: Message edited by: duckster ]

one of us
Picture of Cariboo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mickey1:
[QB You'll be able to cover your entire Johnson with one of those 180 grain bullets. [Eek!] [/QB]

But that is nothing compared to what will happen to your gonads! LoL They will be pulled up so far you will only be able to feel them as a lump in your throat! [Wink]

one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
ROFLMAO [Big Grin] , I've been that cold! [Big Grin]

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Decisions, Decisions!!

Coming across at the end of October to chase Moose. Now, I have a blued/wooden stocked .375hh as well as a Stainless synthetic 30'06. I'm happy that either will shoot into an inch.

So..........which one to bring!!??!! Your thoughts please Guys!! Til now, I had always considered I would need the biggun - but having read these posts.......... now I'm not so sure!

Hunting N Alberta for Moose - hopefully Wolf, Coyote etc as well.

IanF [Big Grin]

Rgds Ian

Posts: 1306 | Location: Devon, UK | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Ian. Which bullet weights does the -06 shoot well? Reason I ask is that moose are easy to hit, coyotes and wolves are a fair bit more challenging, usually shot at greater distances and moving. There is where a flatter shooting caliber comes into play. An -06 with 150's works great on such varmints. - Dan

One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Coming across at the end of October to chase Moose. Now, I have a blued/wooden stocked .375hh as well as a Stainless synthetic 30'06. I'm happy that either will shoot into an inch.

So..........which one to bring!!??!! Your thoughts please Guys!! Til now, I had always considered I would need the biggun - but having read these posts.......... now I'm not so sure

hey pal...either will work. The .30-06 is a serious hunting caliber as is the .375 H&H.

I witnessed the downing of Kudu, Gemsbok, and eland all bigger than a moose and all with .30-06 style guns. The darn things really work.....and while I prefer the premium bullets, they aren't at all necessary.

I too own a .30-06 and a .375 H&H and if moose was on the adjenda I'd be using a 250 grain Barnes (or equivalent) in the .375 H&H....assuming I can shoot it as well as I can shoot the .30-06.

Have a great hunt....I'm a little envious.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"Kudu, Gemsbok, and eland all bigger than a moose".
Vapo, they must have real little moose in Nebraska. LOL. - Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ian,

quote:
Of those two you mention I would opt for the .30-06 for two reasons. First you will be served well with the .30-06 for the stated purposes and second, I am a big fan of stainless and synthetic for weather reasons. That's my two bits on it anyway.

<duckster>
posted
My .30-06 is a laminate/stainless, also for the weather reasons.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan - just zero'd the '06 with 180's - all into .6" - I Lurve ma Tikka! [Smile]

If 165's are cool on your Moose - then that would be my preferred option - flatter and I eventually want to settle on one load for this rifle. Tempted by Hornady Interbonds - havent had opportuntiy to try them yet.

Seems like a few votes for the minor calibre in rust free finish! [Wink] Kinda why I bought it in the first place!

Ian

one of us
Picture of Cariboo
posted Hide Post
Ian, this is just my own 2 cents so take it for what it is worth, but if I was flying several thousand miles, and spending several thousand dollars, I would not use any of the plastic-tipped bullets, including the Hornadys, on moose. Moose, while not hard to kill, require a well constructed bullet to reach deep and take out both lungs.

My own preference is 200 grain partitions in the old '06. Moose hunting is usually not a long range proposition so the heavy for cartridge bullets work well. This is one of those types of hunting where it is usually better to trade some speed for projectile weight. Partitions, Fail-safes, A-Frames ect. are perfect for moose and are cheap insurance because like I have said there is no such thing as too much bullet on moose.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ian, I missed that you were in the UK first time around. If I was coming from where you are, I would have to concur with Cariboo. I like his selection of bullets. I usually alternate between Fail Safes and A-Frames. I just read an article on the Tikka T3 and I was impressed with what I saw. Is that the one you bought?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ian,

I'm off on (my now) annual moose trip to Sweden and will want to refresh myself on the running moose range at Bisley.

If I can organise it, would you be interested in joining me?

May I ask what scopes you have on your 375 and 06? I suspect that might make a difference - finding the right bit amongst all that fur is a problem with a fixed 6 at shorter ranges.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ian, I've seen moose taken with 165 30 cal bullets (even done it myself on occassion). They all died. Having said that, I still prefer heavy for caliber bullets. Perhaps group your -06 with 150's, 165's, 180's and 200's and see how much differance there is in point of impact. If they are close enough, I would just bring two bullet weights, a light and a heavy. FWIW - Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Guys,

A hornady 180 will surely work, But if the failsafe or partition will work a whole lot better. Moose are usually a sort range (150yd) affair and if it is doing 1 1/2" at 100 that it 3 times the accuracy you need. I saw that you said " maybe I am making to much of this accuracy thing" kindly I will say yes you are. Most every one out there does the same thing because the only criteria we hear of a rifle is accuracy.

Sorry, another pet peeve of mine. Use the superest premiums that will shoot "WELL ENOUGH" and enclose a picture of the deciced bullwinkle.

ED

Posts: 174 | Location: U.S.A | Registered: 15 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys.

Sorry for the delay in comeback - I've made it over to Norway for a hunt on Red/Roe/Grouse.

I havent ever tried the heavier bullets with my '06 - but that was one of the criteria when I selected the calibre for a 'do it all' rifle.

I'm little concerned about the change in trajectory against the potential for longer shots against Wolf/Coyote. Anyone that can give me an idea - I havent got a ballistics program on this laptop.

1894 - Thanks for the offer - I doubt that I will have the time. [Frown] I'm intending trying to get across to Italy in between getting back from this hunt and heading out to Canada - but will contact you again when back in the UK to see if it can happen.

Rgds Ian [Wink]

<Reloader66>
posted
Bull Moose can be and are one tough critter that Murphy's law will envoke when you hunt them. For some reason one will drop as if struck by lighting the next one will act as if nothing at all happened to him and he will disappear into the brush. Plan ahead for all that murphy's law while big game hunting can throw at you. Do not think for one second that the Moose your hunting will be standing broad side out in the open for you to shoot. I always use my most accurate load my hunting rifle will give me. I do not believe taking the attitude that a 2" group is fine because Moose are huge game animals with a large kill zone. That makes them an easy target easy to harvest. Those hunters telling you that were extremely lucky hunting Moose. Why do you think Moose have those long gangly legs, so they can move through heavy cover with ease and very quickly. They all live in heavy cover and know their surroundings very well. They blend into their suroundings so well at times you can smell them but not see them. That huge nose they have will warn them in an instant you are there, so keep the wind in your face.

My Moose medicine is the 180 grain round nose bullet with the tighest group my rifle will give me. You may have a very small opening to shoot through and need all the accuarcy advantage of tight groups. It is more likely you will get a close shot rather than a long shot at any Moose. The RN bullet will impart higher hydrostatic shock to the Moose, and gives you more knock down power for close range shots 100 Yards or less. Use the cartrdge you can shoot best and use enough rifle to do the job. In my view the minimum bullet diameter for Moose is the 308 diameter bullet. Taking a 243 to hunt Moose is for a starving man who owns only one rifle and has a family to feed.