New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good Bear Story
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Several weeks back I was bear hunting in NW Montana...first evening out, I spotted a very big black bear eating grass on a high country, gated road, about 400 yds. across a canyon. I put the sneak on....took about a half hour and I was 30 yds. from the bear, a little downhill, wind in my face. Definitely the biggest black bear I've ever seen. After about 30 seconds of watching and wishing I'd brought my Go Pro camera, I shot him broadside thru both lungs. He spun and took off like a racehorse....right at me. At about 15 feet, he spotted my movement as I chambered another round...and he made an abrupt, half right turn and dove off the downhill side, disappearing instantly into the steep, dark, tangled brush....probably dead by then...and piled up about 30 yards down. I knew that he didn't know I was there, and probably would have passed me at arms length if I didn't move to reload. However, it made me realize how fast an almost dead bear can cover 30 yds. particularly when you're in his path. It was a great experience....what an adrenalin rush!

Phil

Life Member- NRA & SCI

Posts: 228 | Location: Albany, NY | Registered: 24 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Safari James
posted Hide Post
Phil:

Thanks for sharing a great "close encounter". I too am amazed at how fast these large anumals can cover gorund.

Safari James
USMC
DRSS

Posts: 369 | Location: Texas | Registered: 16 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my limited experience, once shot a black bear moves like a scalded dog.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have seen them run through the woods many times. Shot and other wise.

They seem to just bonce off the trees.

They are fast for sure.

Posts: 19601 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Marty, Well put.

Phil

Life Member- NRA & SCI

Posts: 228 | Location: Albany, NY | Registered: 24 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
Phil, you need to post some photos. Dennis showed me some last night and your bear was AWESOME! That is about as big as they come.

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, he is a helluva bear! I don't know how to post photos but will email them if someone will post for me.

Phil

Life Member- NRA & SCI